IGNORED

Liverpool (Home) - 3rd September

FairWooney

With 4 of the last 5 games at home being draws and 3 of them 0-0 it will be no surprise for us to push for another hard fought draw but a first win of the season, especially in this fixture would be huge.

Defensively we've looked pretty decent so far though we have managed to concede a goal every game.

Against Leeds we were well pushed at the back and I'd expect Liverpool to do similar except with more quality up front.  I'd expect we go with the 4-3-3 again and with Gueye coming in to the squad I'd expect him to slot straight in ahead of Davies providing much better cover for the defence and giving Onana and Iwobi a bit more confidence to push forward at times.

Maupay needs to start in place of McNeil.  McNeil in fairness did a good job helping out Patterson against Leeds but I think we'd be foolish to not play a recognised striker when we have one there.

To show how well McNeil did against Leeds

mcneil.PNG.0b8be9721c30abbe1a79d02c1c23098f.PNG

Pickford

Patterson     Tarkowski    Coady   Mykolenko

Gueye

Iwobi            Onana

Gordon         Maupay                 Gray

I'm going with an optimistic 2-1 win

Gordon to get a 3rd in a row and Onana with a late winning header.

I'll give Salah their goal after his 9-0 fail last week!

I thought we looked really ropey at the back against Brentford and Leeds. Do that again here and we will struggle.

Our hopes all rest on how long we can keep them out for and probably scoring the first goal. Our counter attack needs to be potent otherwise we wont get out of our half very often. 

Short turn around for liverpool and they haven’t got Henderson who came off injured. There is a slight, slight chance we could really get at them with an energetic display. Gana straight in and let’s get at them.

Kind of game that could really kickstart a season. Fingers crossed.

Odds are massively against us, as much as it pains me to say, this is one of the best Liverpool teams ever assembled and argubly one of the best three or four teams in world football.

I think it's maybe come half a dozen games to soon for us, as we are very much finding our feet as a team to be truly organised as you would need to be against a team like this.  Pretty sure it will be another new face on the pitch with Maupay starting, possibly two if Gana starts.

However, it's a Derby, and you just never know and it would definately kick start the season.

5 hours ago, Btay said:

Short turn around for liverpool and they haven’t got Henderson who came off injured. There is a slight, slight chance we could really get at them with an energetic display. Gana straight in and let’s get at them.

Kind of game that could really kickstart a season. Fingers crossed.

I think Nunez is still suspended and Thiago injured. Plus Henderson.

they're not short of back fills but still helps that those are possibly out.

4 hours ago, Goodison Glory said:

I think Nunez is still suspended and Thiago injured. Plus Henderson.

they're not short of back fills but still helps that those are possibly out.

They actually are in midfield…

1 hour ago, dunlopp9987 said:

He's back for this one

Good, he’s a strong candidate for a red card 

32 minutes ago, Btay said:

They actually are in midfield…

Good, he’s a strong candidate for a red card 

I don't think he is. Firstly, the recent red card was only the 2nd of his career so far. Secondly, I think he will be more careful in the first few games post ban. If there are any natural tendencies there (which there doesn't appear to be) then they will likely manifest themselves after a few games.

That said, I agree, Coady/Tarks should wind him up the whole game. Let's have Gana give Firmino an early bone shaker as well.

1 hour ago, Goodison Glory said:

I don't think he is. Firstly, the recent red card was only the 2nd of his career so far. Secondly, I think he will be more careful in the first few games post ban. If there are any natural tendencies there (which there doesn't appear to be) then they will likely manifest themselves after a few games.

That said, I agree, Coady/Tarks should wind him up the whole game. Let's have Gana give Firmino an early bone shaker as well.

And then Onana in to finish him on Phil Neville on Ronaldo style 

Not sure if I want to see Maupay and Gana start this one having both not featured for us yet, but maybe it's the best option for us.

Pickford

Patterson Coady Tarkowski Mykolenko

Gana Iwobi Onana

Mcneil Maupay Gordon

That's my guess.

40 minutes ago, Wall Writer said:

Pickford

Patterson Coady Tarkowski Mykolenko

Gana Iwobi Onana

Gray Maupay Gordon

Compare this with the players available at the start of the transfer window, and we're much stronger now. Is it enough to win? I'm not sure, but it's certainly a possibility.

I would start McNeil over Gray, bringing on Gray and Garner as subs in the second half.

1 hour ago, MikeO said:

Had a quick look at RAWK to see what they're thinking, and was really shocked; the rabid hatred for us is far beyond any anti them posts on here, and it's not just a few posters, it's virtually all of them.

Horrible.

I’ve just looked also, they are really full of hate, which I find amazing given our lack of success.

What I do like is they are not looking forward to the game, hopefully their players will be sthe same.

It's midnight here. Match starts at 4:30 am and I have to drive 4 hours tomorrow morning. Absolute garbage scheduling.  Won't they think of the west coast north America viewers?

Anyway, I'll be in dreamland. Need a battling performance whatever the result. Funny thing is I have almost no doubt we'll get that much.  Better days. Hi ho

I'm in 2 minds.

I know they spanked Bournemouth 9-0 but they haven't really 'sprinted out of the blocks'.

With that, I think I'd prefer to play them now.

Then again, we've absolutely not got upto much yet! Few decent glimpses. Our best is definitely still to come.

The Goodison crowd will be immense and the new boys will feel 'it' properly for the first time. Hopefully that helps us onto a point in an entertaining niggling narky game.

So long as we show up and display plenty of signs of progress, happy days.

Just now, MikeO said:

image.png.c7aa20c668f9991fa90edd525afbda59.png

Happy with that Gordon and Gray out wide will be a threat to them and stop Trent and Robertson from having a free role in our half,  we need to try and pin them back in their own half and have a good go at them, they are struggling with teams who have a go.