IGNORED

Transfer Targets for 23-24

We’re still in a mess after scrapping through yesterday, new financial backing will still have to work within FFP rules, so we’re not going to be big spenders. I was thinking last night who would I take from the 3 teams who dropped and from Championship, although I don’t know a great deal about many.

Southampton, Ward Prowse yes, but I think he’s off to a team higher up than us.

Leeds, Jack Harrison

Leicester Dewsbury Hall, Barnes, Castagne

Gyorkeres, looked good on Saturday.

I would take Billings, he controlled Bournemouth’s tempo yesterday and bangs in a few goals. 

1 hour ago, Romey 1878 said:

Honestly don't understand why anyone would want Ward-Prowse tbh. Obviously a very good set-piece taker but from open play he's anonymous.

Yeah I've been thinking this a lot as everyone seems to be throwing his name about. He'd do well in a team where he can be carried, as he doesn't do much from open play yet pops up with worldies from set pieces.

1 hour ago, Newty82 said:

A striker! A proper one!

Another winger.

A left back.

I don't think we'll have much money so that'll do for now.

Oh...we'll need a centre back too? If Coady and Mina are off. Will Branthwaite come back???

From the interview Coady gave after the match it wouldn’t surprise me if Dyche has already decided he wants him to stay, because that came across very much as an us and the future type of interview. 

4 hours ago, Zoo 2.0 said:

Yeah I've been thinking this a lot as everyone seems to be throwing his name about. He'd do well in a team where he can be carried, as he doesn't do much from open play yet pops up with worldies from set pieces.

6 hours ago, Romey 1878 said:

Honestly don't understand why anyone would want Ward-Prowse tbh.

Obviously a very good set-piece taker but from open play he's anonymous.

I disagree. I think he is a very solid all-round player who has world class set piece delivery. 

The problem with him is that you are paying for the set pieces and not the other 89 minutes. 

He should be £10-15mil and he would be a solid addition to most midtable sides but he will probably go for double that, with big wages to boot.

Coady. 
Tarkowski, Branthwaite, Keane, Coady and Godfrey would be plenty at the back. 
Let Holgate find another club and Yerry has gone. That’s steady enough for me. 

A left back. 
Mykolenko isn’t the answer. Let Nkounkou go as well if he’s not going to be part of the team. 

A right back. 
Maybe an older back up or competition for Patterson for the next year or two. I hope Seamus can keep playing and influencing the team though. 

A striker. 
Big man, target man, someone to be an option instead of Dom who can be a lone striker. Would happily see Simms, Cannon and Maupay be options next year, but if Maupay wants to go then no problem. 

Richarlison. 
Let me dream, but I think he would come back if we could find the money. Unfortunately I see the only way we could finance this deal would be if Pickford went the other way. 

7 hours ago, Wiggytop said:

We’re still in a mess after scrapping through yesterday, new financial backing will still have to work within FFP rules, so we’re not going to be big spenders. I was thinking last night who would I take from the 3 teams who dropped and from Championship, although I don’t know a great deal about many.

Southampton, Ward Prowse yes, but I think he’s off to a team higher up than us.

Leeds, Jack Harrison

Leicester Dewsbury Hall, Barnes, Castagne

Gyorkeres, looked good on Saturday.

I would take Billings, he controlled Bournemouth’s tempo yesterday and bangs in a few goals. 

Folks always look at the teams going down for deals but those teams are going down for a reason.  Additionally, all players with with PL experience (even ones who went down with a team) = high wages.  We have already gone down this road.  Our team is littered with players who got relegated.  Tarks, Doucs, Gana, Godfrey, etc.  It is ok to have a few experienced heads but we need to start thinking like the Brighton's and Brentford's of the world.  Identify areas to improve and then get young talent to fill those areas.

Key areas we need to improve in include first a striker, then fullback, then maybe CB depending who stays / goes (yerry is gone and coady and braithwaite situations are uncertain).  If you then look at those areas...  Leeds: Strikers? Nope. Full back? Nope. Center back? Nope.  Leicester: Strikers? Nope.  Full back? Probably not.  Center backs? Nope.  Southampton: Strikers? Nope.  Full backs? Maybe Kyle Walker-Peters but won't be cheap so is it worth it? Center backs? Probably not?

So given that teams going down do not really suit our needs, it is probably best to look else where.  Gyorkeres might be a decent move if the price is not too high.

20 hours ago, Romey 1878 said:

Honestly don't understand why anyone would want Ward-Prowse tbh.

Obviously a very good set-piece taker but from open play he's anonymous.

Same here.

Theres even songs about him and his ineffectiveness on the pitch. His safe style of play and backwards passing would drive our fans nuts.

19 hours ago, plaidharper said:

Folks always look at the teams going down for deals but those teams are going down for a reason.  Additionally, all players with with PL experience (even ones who went down with a team) = high wages.  We have already gone down this road.  Our team is littered with players who got relegated.  Tarks, Doucs, Gana, Godfrey, etc.  It is ok to have a few experienced heads but we need to start thinking like the Brighton's and Brentford's of the world.  Identify areas to improve and then get young talent to fill those areas.

I’m not saying it’s the only place we should be looking, but it’s highly likely we won’t have money to splash around, and we don’t seem to have the ability to recruit like Brighton and Brentford atm, I wish we did, as probably do all teams in the PL, it’s not a flick a switch and it will happen process, so we need to be realistic as to where we are.

We were nearly relegated, we have England’s No1, it’s widely reported he’s wanted by a number of clubs, there are a few good opportunities to pick up players who will add to the quality of our squad that the relegated clubs will need to offload due to wages, again it could have been us having to offload our best.

I'd swap Pickford for Henderson and UKP 50m from United. Also, since Chelsea have a large number of prospects in their farm system, use Onana as leverage to get two or three of them. These are our two principal assets right now and, much as it would be wonderful to keep both, our team as a whole needs too many new players, and that must take precedence.

I would NOT be looking for players from the relegated teams.

18 minutes ago, Cornish Steve said:

I'd swap Pickford for Henderson and UKP 50m from United. Also, since Chelsea have a large number of prospects in their farm system, use Onana as leverage to get two or three of them. These are our two principal assets right now and, much as it would be wonderful to keep both, our team as a whole needs too many new players, and that must take precedence.

I’d be looking at Chelsea too. They will need to shift about 30 players this summer. There are bargains to be had if you can convince a player to move. 

36 minutes ago, Cornish Steve said:

So ward Prowse and walker Peters arnt good enough ? 

I think Walker-Peters would be a really good signing. I have been a fan for a while but he also has the versatility to play both sides and we need depth in those positions. I cant see him costing much either and wages will be very affordable.

I would prefer a natural LB though.

I’ve been critical of Pickford in the past but the last 2 seasons he’s been incredible. I look at Leicester and just feel that their GK situation was the main factor of their relegation. How many points has Pickford been worth to us this season? We need to keep him at all costs in my opinion.

For what it’s worth, I think we need loads!!!

Cover at both full-back positions

Another centre-back in addition to Branthwaite and Coady (I’d sell Holgate and Keane)

Gueye’s replacement to be eased in over the season

Another ‘fit for purpose’ central midfielder in the mould of Garner

2 wingers with high work rate and a bit of quality

At least 2 attackers who can put the ball in the goal

As many as 10 in my opinion - maybe there are players in the academy ready to take some of those spots but I think we need a proper overhaul now and actually with the wages out already and hopefully a couple more sales, we’ll be able to be very active.

59 minutes ago, c1982 said:

I’ve been critical of Pickford in the past but the last 2 seasons he’s been incredible. I look at Leicester and just feel that their GK situation was the main factor of their relegation. How many points has Pickford been worth to us this season? We need to keep him at all costs in my opinion.

As many as 10 in my opinion

Your two positions are incompatible: either we sell Pickford and Onana or we buy just two or three players on the cheap. What’s more important when we face such a decision? To me, the team is more important than individuals. 

10 hours ago, Cornish Steve said:

Had we got relegated do you think teams would be saying they don’t want Pickford because we got relegated? There’s definitely a couple of good players in each team & just because they have been relegated doesn’t change that. Also by your point - chelsea have been in relegation form the last half of the season but you would poach their players? It just doesn’t make sense to me mate.

It’s hard to predict how much money we will have available. The £45 million from Gordon hasn’t been reinvested. Also there should be some sort of kitty available - even is it’s only £15 million (speculating maybe £40-50 million in total). Not to mention we are going to be saving a fortune in wages on Mina, Gbamin & Gomes if we can shift the latter 2.

Regardless, this is absolutely our most crucial transfer window in which who ever we bring in will need to perform & we will need to count on a few youngsters stepping up (Branthwaite, Cannon & Dobbin most likely)

9 hours ago, Cornish Steve said:

Your two positions are incompatible: either we sell Pickford and Onana or we buy just two or three players on the cheap. What’s more important when we face such a decision? To me, the team is more important than individuals. 

I disagree - sell Onana if the price is right and sell/remove less effective high earners - that’ll create plenty to invest wisely on younger/ fit for purpose players. Add in potential investment and the guaranteed sale of Moise Kean. Pickford should be the last player we sell while he’s happy and committed.