Sign in to follow this  
Louis

Marcel Brands (DoF)

7 hours ago, nogs said:

I don't necessarily disagree. I never really got the at-all-costs pursuit of Silva. But what I will say is this - if we come to the conclusion that yet another manager is shit and has to be sacked, then I'm going to find it very hard not to conclude that our owner is an absolute muppet who hasn't got a clue what he's doing. And I don't want to face that possibility just yet because that could end in some bad, bad places. 

I think that nearly all our problems have stemmed from an owner who hasn't got a clue about football who doesn't know the difference between a good manager or bad one yet as over seen the acquisition of 3 in a short space of time and none have worked out.

Now that's not a knee jerk reaction

I've been saying this since 6 months into Koeman's reign that the biggest mistake Moshiri made was lining up Koeman and Walsh and deciding to sack Martinez before he had ever met him, what he should have done was come in surveyed the place and given Martinez a little bit of money and 6 months to make an impression, after all the football we were playing under Martinez was some of the best I've witnessed for a long time in possession and going forward we just couldn't defend.

But what Moshiri did was throw his money around has to say this is my club now I'm making changes from day one and my money is going to buy us success, that's great if you know what your doing not so good if you haven't got a clue we could have the next Randy Learner on our hands, but hopefully the best signing he's made to date is Brands and he let's him get on with running the club and keeps well away from any team decisions, cause if not we could easily be the next Villa all the gear no idea.

9 minutes ago, Romey 1878 said:

Martinez' first season we did. It was some of the best football I'd ever seen us play and I genuinely thought we were going places. But then for 2 years we played utter shite football that bored me to tears.

I do agree I think the 1st season set the standard for us which made the next 2 fucking painful, but I still think we weren’t that far away from having a good team and believe Moshiri should have given a little bit of money and time, for me the last season and a half have been the worst in my memory based on how much money and opportunity has been thrown at the team, the old adage you can’t buy success has been proven right in our case. 

The Walsh/Koeman case was an excellent example why manager should not decide who the club signs. There were obviously several players practically signed by Koeman who we are stuck with.

4 hours ago, Palfy said:

I do agree I think the 1st season set the standard for us which made the next 2 fucking painful, but I still think we weren’t that far away from having a good team and believe Moshiri should have given a little bit of money and time, for me the last season and a half have been the worst in my memory based on how much money and opportunity has been thrown at the team, the old adage you can’t buy success has been proven right in our case. 

Thats all well and good but Martinez had completely lost the dressing room. Once that happens its game over for any manager and rightly so.

1 hour ago, pete0 said:

Tbf to Moshiri he went after Brands and Mochi but they wouldn't come. He's then gone for the bloke who is largely credited with Leicester winning the league. On paper Walsh had the credentials to be successful here. 

Koeman was poor though. Only had to look at the thrashing we gave them that season. But we did need a new manager, Martinez got rid of all the fitness staff as he had an outdated degree and it showed with our players playing at a snails pace, shortly after that he lost the dressing room. Nice guy, but stubborn to his own philosophy. Shame as if he was willing to change his philosophy he could've grown in to a top manager with us and moshiri's money. 

100% this.

27 minutes ago, Bailey said:

Thats all well and good but Martinez had completely lost the dressing room. Once that happens its game over for any manager and rightly so.

Possibly he may have but I feel we have gone backwards since he left, but it’s all conjecture and we will never know. 

3 hours ago, pete0 said:

Tbf to Moshiri he went after Brands and Mochi but they wouldn't come. He's then gone for the bloke who is largely credited with Leicester winning the league. On paper Walsh had the credentials to be successful here. 

Koeman was poor though. Only had to look at the thrashing we gave them that season. But we did need a new manager, Martinez got rid of all the fitness staff as he had an outdated degree and it showed with our players playing at a snails pace, shortly after that he lost the dressing room. Nice guy, but stubborn to his own philosophy. Shame as if he was willing to change his philosophy he could've grown in to a top manager with us and moshiri's money. 

good post, i wanted monchi so badly, funny thing is that he is having a rough time at Roma.  Sold Salah for peanuts, has bought some players that have underperformed.  They have been doing that well in the league.  Meanwhile Sevilla haven't skipped a beat, if anything they've been even better.  

13 minutes ago, markjazzbassist said:

good post, i wanted monchi so badly, funny thing is that he is having a rough time at Roma.  Sold Salah for peanuts, has bought some players that have underperformed.  They have been doing that well in the league.  Meanwhile Sevilla haven't skipped a beat, if anything they've been even better.  

Looks like we've hit the nail on the head with Brands * touches * wood. 

1 hour ago, markjazzbassist said:

They did get to a CL final though? I wish our time was that rough ;)

3 hours ago, markjazzbassist said:

had nothing to do with him, he just got there when that happened.  i don't think any of them were his players he brought in.

It was only the semi actually but from the second leg I counted 4 started and 2 came off the bench. Dont quote me on it though, it was tongue in cheek anyway.

Mike parry was discussing Everton today and someone made the point of questioning Morishis acumen football wise as a businesman. He made a great point that brands has been here six months as a football director but is now on the clubs board? How does that work? 

21 minutes ago, Finn balor said:

Mike parry was discussing Everton today and someone made the point of questioning Morishis acumen football wise as a businesman. He made a great point that brands has been here six months as a football director but is now on the clubs board? How does that work? 

I must admit it does seem a bit quick!

37 minutes ago, Finn balor said:

I’m excited for this summer, I think brands is the man to move us forward. We ain’t gonna be signing dzeko, trippier etc. We are in the market for people that are under 25 and have a resale value 

We need a smart window. More out than in. In wages saved on the excess we probably will break even as well over the window.

I think the squad will be streamlined to death. All the hangers on will be culled I think. Why pay Pennington who I imagine is on 10k a week at least when U can find a top prospect at 18? That’s what he’s paid for 

38 minutes ago, Makis said:

All the ones that someone takes. Some of the players are on such high wages they are hard to move on unless the club pays a significant chunk of their wages.

Unfortunately this is the case. Few good contracts coming to an end. Surely a promoted team would take Mirallas even if we asked for  under 5m. Bolasie is the same. 

16 hours ago, Makis said:

All the ones that someone takes. Some of the players are on such high wages they are hard to move on unless the club pays a significant chunk of their wages.

same for me, i'm more interested in who leaves than who joins this summer.

52 minutes ago, markjazzbassist said:

same for me, i'm more interested in who leaves than who joins this summer.

Me too, and I’m less worried about the output impact on the dressing room because the majority of those who will leave are already out on loan 

10 hours ago, Shukes said:

I hope we don’t follow that model. I would rather we change xo pketwly and buy players for success. We don’t want to become a feeder club for the bigger clubs.

We need to buy prospects, but also buy solid starters who are in their prime. Let the rest of the mid table clubs worry about resale value.... we want trophy’s and success, not to be known as a good business model.

I see what your saying, I just think we need to take the next step. I’ll be dying in the next thirty years and want to see a trophy again before haha.

Good post who wrote that for you 😉

5 minutes ago, Finn balor said:

I don’t know how to put it on the site but there is a good article on brands today on the echo site explaining the transfers for the summer. Good article and exciting 

This one?

https://www.google.ch/amp/s/www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/marcel-brands-confirms-evertons-summer-16064299.amp

1 minute ago, Matt said:

some key points

- as of april 2nd their transfer targets are already set (breath of fresh air this point is)

- bring in players aged 20-25

- brands and silva have to agree on the player to get the green light

- new targets speak to Silva because they have to have a good relationship with the manager (not sure if other managers did this but this is a nice touch)

18 minutes ago, markjazzbassist said:

some key points

- as of april 2nd their transfer targets are already set (breath of fresh air this point is)

- new targets speak to Silva because they have to have a good relationship with the manager (not sure if other managers did this but this is a nice touch)

We said the same when Walsh started. I’ll wait for proof before I get excited 

3 hours ago, markjazzbassist said:

some key points

That’s all just pretty standard. Anything other than that and we should be worried. Nothing to see here. 

3 hours ago, StevO said:

That’s all just pretty standard. Anything other than that and we should be worried. Nothing to see here. 

Not at all.  Walsh bought players over 25, it was clear even when Martinez was here that the signings weren’t lined up and once one fell through there were often times barely even a backup.

4 hours ago, markjazzbassist said:

Not at all.  Walsh bought players over 25, it was clear even when Martinez was here that the signings weren’t lined up and once one fell through there were often times barely even a backup.

No Mark, you’re wrong, every club does this. There will always be a plan to buy younger players, and there will always be three, four or even five back ups. We will still buy players over 25 if they are of the right quality. None of this is groundbreaking stuff, it’s what every single football club in the world does. From little clubs through to City. Everyone wants young players who are improving and everyone has back up plans. I know you like to be positive and have a lot of faith in Brands, but this is just the norm. 

When Martinez was here and his first choice fell through, we didn’t have the financial muscle to just jump to the next one. Before Moshiri we very often tried to buy players in the last week of the transfer window to save on wages. There was still a back up plan. 

4 hours ago, StevO said:

No Mark, you’re wrong, every club does this. There will always be a plan to buy younger players, and there will always be three, four or even five back ups. We will still buy players over 25 if they are of the right quality. None of this is groundbreaking stuff, it’s what every single football club in the world does. From little clubs through to City. Everyone wants young players who are improving and everyone has back up plans. I know you like to be positive and have a lot of faith in Brands, but this is just the norm. 

When Martinez was here and his first choice fell through, we didn’t have the financial muscle to just jump to the next one. Before Moshiri we very often tried to buy players in the last week of the transfer window to save on wages. There was still a back up plan. 

He said in the interview we will only buy 20-25 because we have to sell players.  Unless he was misquoted I’ll take the man at his word.

52 minutes ago, markjazzbassist said:

He said in the interview we will only buy 20-25 because we have to sell players.  Unless he was misquoted I’ll take the man at his word.

You don’t think of a player who is 27 is available and good quality he won’t take them?

im not doubting him, what he said is all fine, but it’s not different from anything any other club is doing. 

Martinez signed Geri, Rom, McCarthy, all young and talented. 

Under the all so hated Walsh we signed Pickford, Keane, Sandro, Klassen, again young and talented. 

Clubs always want to buy good young players, but then we still signed Gylfi at 27, because he was a good player and ready to go into the first team with immediate effect. 

What they are doing is not groundbreaking, they are doing what is expected at every club. It’s just normal, it’s nice to be excited I’m sure, but this isn’t anything new. 

18 minutes ago, StevO said:

You don’t think of a player who is 27 is available and good quality he won’t take them?

im not doubting him, what he said is all fine, but it’s not different from anything any other club is doing. 

Under the all so hated Walsh we signed Pickford, Keane, Sandro, Klassen, again young and talented. 

Clubs always want to buy good young players, but then we still signed Gylfi at 27, because he was a good player and ready to go into the first team with immediate effect. 

What they are doing is not groundbreaking, they are doing what is expected at every club. It’s just normal, it’s nice to be excited I’m sure, but this isn’t anything new. 

He signed Mina Richarlison digne all under 25.  So yes I do believe him.  I never said any of this was ground breaking, I summarized his interview with key points and never used that phrase.  Many teams use this approach in other leagues I’m well aware.

1 hour ago, StevO said:

Problem with that 27 year old is that he's in his prime so unless he's been underperforming you pay what he's worth and there's a good chance his value will decrease. And this is exactly the model Brands does not want.

I’m sure if say Griezeman became available and fancied a move to Everton Brands would so no, sorry, no sell on value. He will still take a great player if they are over 25, it would be naive not to. 

There needs to be a balance of young talent and players that can make an immediate impact. For the latter group, age is irrelevant (see Barry as the best example). You take a a hit on resale value if a player gets you further up the table and a trophy. 

1 hour ago, StevO said:

I’m sure if say Griezeman became available and fancied a move to Everton Brands would so no, sorry, no sell on value. He will still take a great player if they are over 25, it would be naive not to. 

I'm sure he would because he would be out of our budget, costing probably around 100 million. 

Also find his quote on top 6 underplayed players very interesting. Sounds like we should expect 1 or 2 from those clubs to come here. Quick somebody make a list of all top 6 first team players aged 20-25 who could use more playing time. Oh wait, i'll do it - here it is for speculation:

City: G Jesus, Zinchenko, Foden (Danilo-27)

Utd: Bailly, A Pereira, Dalot, McTominay

Arsenal: Maitland-Niles, Holding, Iwobi, Mavropanos

Chelsea: Loftus-Cheek, Christensen, Emerson, Ampadu, Zouma, Bakayoko, Kenedy, Abraham, Batshuayi, Hudson-Odoi (never going to happen)

Spurs: Winks, Dier, Walker-Peters, Foyth

Doesn't have to be from the PL, like Digne. So here's a few more:

PSG: Paredes (24), Lo Celso (22), Rabiot (24).

Barcelona: Denis Suarez (25), Munir (23).

Real Madrid: Marcos Llorente (24), Javi Sanchez and Jesus Vallejo (both 22).

Bayern Munich: Tollisso (24).

No idea about why they didn't play much, just checked the stats.

Ok, I was a bit off with my names. Lo Celso has been on loan to Betis and big teams are circling around him. Rabiot seems to be heading to Real Madrid. Tollisso tore his ACL at the beginning of the season. Paredes only recently joined PSG.

So never mind...

I think the fact he has cake out and said these comments is more of a plus than the actual comments.

SteveO is right, it’s a common model, and if the right player becomes available, at the right price, then age won’t come into account.

But the fact that he is making a point of putting his model out there speaks volumes. He is realising the involvement fans have in this club. We want to be part of it and we want to hear what our plans are. 

Brands is the right guy for us.

10 hours ago, Shukes said:

I think the fact he has cake out and said these comments is more of a plus than the actual comments.

SteveO is right, it’s a common model, and if the right player becomes available, at the right price, then age won’t come into account.

But the fact that he is making a point of putting his model out there speaks volumes. He is realising the involvement fans have in this club. We want to be part of it and we want to hear what our plans are. 

Brands is the right guy for us.

Do you really think him putting a spread on at Finch Farm with a few battenbergs and chocolate truffles is going to convince top players to sign for us ?