Sign in to follow this  
Louis

Marcel Brands (DoF)

7 hours ago, nogs said:

I don't necessarily disagree. I never really got the at-all-costs pursuit of Silva. But what I will say is this - if we come to the conclusion that yet another manager is shit and has to be sacked, then I'm going to find it very hard not to conclude that our owner is an absolute muppet who hasn't got a clue what he's doing. And I don't want to face that possibility just yet because that could end in some bad, bad places. 

I think that nearly all our problems have stemmed from an owner who hasn't got a clue about football who doesn't know the difference between a good manager or bad one yet as over seen the acquisition of 3 in a short space of time and none have worked out.

Now that's not a knee jerk reaction

I've been saying this since 6 months into Koeman's reign that the biggest mistake Moshiri made was lining up Koeman and Walsh and deciding to sack Martinez before he had ever met him, what he should have done was come in surveyed the place and given Martinez a little bit of money and 6 months to make an impression, after all the football we were playing under Martinez was some of the best I've witnessed for a long time in possession and going forward we just couldn't defend.

But what Moshiri did was throw his money around has to say this is my club now I'm making changes from day one and my money is going to buy us success, that's great if you know what your doing not so good if you haven't got a clue we could have the next Randy Learner on our hands, but hopefully the best signing he's made to date is Brands and he let's him get on with running the club and keeps well away from any team decisions, cause if not we could easily be the next Villa all the gear no idea.

9 minutes ago, Romey 1878 said:

Martinez' first season we did. It was some of the best football I'd ever seen us play and I genuinely thought we were going places. But then for 2 years we played utter shite football that bored me to tears.

I do agree I think the 1st season set the standard for us which made the next 2 fucking painful, but I still think we weren’t that far away from having a good team and believe Moshiri should have given a little bit of money and time, for me the last season and a half have been the worst in my memory based on how much money and opportunity has been thrown at the team, the old adage you can’t buy success has been proven right in our case. 

Tbf to Moshiri he went after Brands and Mochi but they wouldn't come. He's then gone for the bloke who is largely credited with Leicester winning the league. On paper Walsh had the credentials to be successful here. 

Koeman was poor though. Only had to look at the thrashing we gave them that season. But we did need a new manager, Martinez got rid of all the fitness staff as he had an outdated degree and it showed with our players playing at a snails pace, shortly after that he lost the dressing room. Nice guy, but stubborn to his own philosophy. Shame as if he was willing to change his philosophy he could've grown in to a top manager with us and moshiri's money. 

The Walsh/Koeman case was an excellent example why manager should not decide who the club signs. There were obviously several players practically signed by Koeman who we are stuck with.

4 hours ago, Palfy said:

I do agree I think the 1st season set the standard for us which made the next 2 fucking painful, but I still think we weren’t that far away from having a good team and believe Moshiri should have given a little bit of money and time, for me the last season and a half have been the worst in my memory based on how much money and opportunity has been thrown at the team, the old adage you can’t buy success has been proven right in our case. 

Thats all well and good but Martinez had completely lost the dressing room. Once that happens its game over for any manager and rightly so.

1 hour ago, pete0 said:

Tbf to Moshiri he went after Brands and Mochi but they wouldn't come. He's then gone for the bloke who is largely credited with Leicester winning the league. On paper Walsh had the credentials to be successful here. 

Koeman was poor though. Only had to look at the thrashing we gave them that season. But we did need a new manager, Martinez got rid of all the fitness staff as he had an outdated degree and it showed with our players playing at a snails pace, shortly after that he lost the dressing room. Nice guy, but stubborn to his own philosophy. Shame as if he was willing to change his philosophy he could've grown in to a top manager with us and moshiri's money. 

100% this.

27 minutes ago, Bailey said:

Thats all well and good but Martinez had completely lost the dressing room. Once that happens its game over for any manager and rightly so.

Possibly he may have but I feel we have gone backwards since he left, but it’s all conjecture and we will never know. 

3 hours ago, pete0 said:

good post, i wanted monchi so badly, funny thing is that he is having a rough time at Roma.  Sold Salah for peanuts, has bought some players that have underperformed.  They have been doing that well in the league.  Meanwhile Sevilla haven't skipped a beat, if anything they've been even better.  

13 minutes ago, markjazzbassist said:

good post, i wanted monchi so badly, funny thing is that he is having a rough time at Roma.  Sold Salah for peanuts, has bought some players that have underperformed.  They have been doing that well in the league.  Meanwhile Sevilla haven't skipped a beat, if anything they've been even better.  

Looks like we've hit the nail on the head with Brands * touches * wood. 

1 hour ago, markjazzbassist said:

They did get to a CL final though? I wish our time was that rough ;)

3 hours ago, markjazzbassist said:

had nothing to do with him, he just got there when that happened.  i don't think any of them were his players he brought in.

It was only the semi actually but from the second leg I counted 4 started and 2 came off the bench. Dont quote me on it though, it was tongue in cheek anyway.

Mike parry was discussing Everton today and someone made the point of questioning Morishis acumen football wise as a businesman. He made a great point that brands has been here six months as a football director but is now on the clubs board? How does that work? 

21 minutes ago, Finn balor said:

Mike parry was discussing Everton today and someone made the point of questioning Morishis acumen football wise as a businesman. He made a great point that brands has been here six months as a football director but is now on the clubs board? How does that work? 

I must admit it does seem a bit quick!