IGNORED

Longest Thread For Drivel (or the Romelu Lukaku thread)

Looks to have all the attributes physically which is a great start, there have been many players who have had these attributes who just never made what they should have done, with players up to and including the likes of adriano. We have Anichebe who let's face it is a tremendous athlete, as is Joseph Yobo. I'm sure if you looked at Nyarko you would say the same. Beckford at Leeds is a strong pacey player, but by all accounts needs a few chances to score.

The biggest test is mentality, to be a Drogba you need to be a winner, someone with ice in their veins who can finish when only getting one or two chances a game - or when the pressure is high. This I think is when they reach the 'will they, won't they' stage - to spend £15m before then is a gamble. Drogba was a very late developer in terms of reaching his potential - Chelsea spent £25m plus on a proven european goalscorer.

Got to say though, seeing someone of this type of promise is what keeps the game great, I hope we can get some sort of deal arranged where payments are based on achievements, certainly having an iconic Belgian playing for us will mean that he knows who we are. The only way we are going to have a true world class under 25 striker playing for us is if we bring them through the ranks or we take a gamble on someone like him.

As happens when a post gets moved, I end up back on page one.

First post is Romey saying we have no chance of signing him.

A few posts down is Haf's first post on the then 16 year old prodigy.

If only we knew what was about to unfold....

thanks. didnt know Hillsborough was the reason. tbh before religiously following Everton I hadnt even heard about that tragedy.

I actually thought it was not done to post sun articles because of poor level of journalism. (imo express is even worse, and daily mail only slightly better)

Hillsborough (edit: Heysel, not Hillsborough) actually caused EFC not to be able to play European Football for 3 consecutive years of qualifying for it in the late 80's. All English teams were banned from European football for a few years because of Hillsborough... so you can figure how impactful the consequences of that ban ended up being for this football club and everything Everton missed out on :(

Edited by Mirallas

thanks. didnt know Hillsborough was the reason. tbh before religiously following Everton I hadnt even heard about that tragedy.

I actually thought it was not done to post sun articles because of poor level of journalism. (imo express is even worse, and daily mail only slightly better)

I agree journalistically. The S*n is what it's always been, it assumes it's readers have the reading ability of a ten year old (and the same level of intellectual development) so they write as if they're talking to kids and make no apology for it. The Express meanwhile was once (many moons ago) a "quality" broadsheet and they pretend on the back of that they still have some gravitas while spouting infantile racist bile.

A lot I think. United create a lot of chances in and around the box, they just haven't had anyone clinical to put them away recently. Falcao, Rashford, Lingard, Martial and an unpredictable Ibra wasted so many chances and led to so many 0-0 draws against lower league teams. Rom will put many of those away. I think Kane will win the golden boot again but Rom will push him close and take 2nd place. My predication for him is between 20 and 25 league goals.

As I've said before I was hoping he would have stayed and I wish him well, but my prediction is 8 goals with long periods of being benched.

*edit: this is based on my assumption he will struggle playing with technically gifted players who generally act too quickly for him; his previous relationship with Jose; how quickly ManU fans turn on their own;

Edited by holystove

A lot I think. United create a lot of chances in and around the box, they just haven't had anyone clinical to put them away recently. Falcao, Rashford, Lingard, Martial and an unpredictable Ibra wasted so many chances and led to so many 0-0 draws against lower league teams. Rom will put many of those away. I think Kane will win the golden boot again but Rom will push him close and take 2nd place. My predication for him is between 20 and 25 league goals.

Stats seem to back that up.

post-1126-0-00774400-1499765902_thumb.png

As I've said before I was hoping he would have stayed and I wish him well, but my prediction is 8 goals with long periods of being benched.

*edit: this is based on my assumption he will struggle playing with technically gifted players who generally act too quickly for him; his previous relationship with Jose; how quickly ManU fans turn on their own;

This for me although he'll probably bag a handful more but he won't be anywhere as prolific as some think imo

they have a lot more goal scorers. we didn't. i think he will still bag double digits but not as many here as the focal point.

Right now there will be a fair few man United players and fans thinking.... "hmmmmm.... thats not good"

Sure footballers make the odd mistake of poor touch but seriously the ball was on the deck and travelling at 3 mph.

It's a simple fact.... lukaku has an incredibly poor touch. One that you will struggle to find a worse one than at this level.

Mourinho:- "we needed a clear number 9, one that is comfortable to play in the box and play with his back to the defensive line and we thought romelu would be a good option"

Ah well.... that's Maureen'o heading for the managerial scrap yard.

Edit:- had a whattsapp message off a Manc season ticket holder. Apparently the gobby one stank the gaff out against L.A. galaxy. Missed sitter from 12 yards and generally looked way short of being able to play with mata, martial and rashford who by all accounts looked superb together.

Not out problem anymore. Spending the £75m+ is....

Edited by Hafnia

Just arrived at my hotel in Dallas, and they are showing MU play Real Salt Lake. It's midway through the first half. The first thing I see is a pass to Lukaku, which bounces off his knee and RSL gain possession. A few minutes later, Lukaku runs back to collect a pass and it hits his shin and ends up with RSL. Then Lukaku is yards offside, ending another attack. As most MU players are running or trotting around, Lukaku is walking. Then, out of nowhere, he receives a ball at the edge of the box, dummies, fools three RSL players, and scores his first goal for MU. To me, this was Lukaku in a nutshell. Of course, the commentators are over the moon and claiming this is why MU paid 75m for him. Yes, he has weaknesses, but he scores goals.

Just arrived at my hotel in Dallas, and they are showing MU play Real Salt Lake. It's midway through the first half. The first thing I see is a pass to Lukaku, which bounces off his knee and RSL gain possession. A few minutes later, Lukaku runs back to collect a pass and it hits his shin and ends up with RSL. Then Lukaku is yards offside, ending another attack. As most MU players are running or trotting around, Lukaku is walking. Then, out of nowhere, he receives a ball at the edge of the box, dummies, fools three RSL players, and scores his first goal for MU. To me, this was Lukaku in a nutshell. Of course, the commentators are over the moon and claiming this is why MU paid 75m for him. Yes, he has weaknesses, but he scores goals.

Haha saw the exact same sequence in ten minutes and then turned it off.