IGNORED

Danny Welbeck

• 2 weeks later...

Everton are leading the charge to sign Arsenal forward Danny Welbeck on a free transfer, reports claim.

Welbeck, 28, is leaving Arsenal after five injury-plagued seasons with West Ham, Newcastle, Crystal Palace and Wolves all credited with interest.

But the Standard say Marco Silva’s Toffees are front-runners.

It’s claimed the Merseyside outfit are prepared to increase his £100,000-a-week salary should he pass a medical.

my main issue is his fitness. Well, it’s one of several main issues but I’m just baffled by this link. No way I’d have thought would be looking at him (if it’s all true)

2 minutes ago, Matt said:

Everton are leading the charge to sign Arsenal forward Danny Welbeck on a free transfer, reports claim.

Welbeck, 28, is leaving Arsenal after five injury-plagued seasons with West Ham, Newcastle, Crystal Palace and Wolves all credited with interest.

But the Standard say Marco Silva’s Toffees are front-runners.

It’s claimed the Merseyside outfit are prepared to increase his £100,000-a-week salary should he pass a medical.

my main issue is his fitness. Well, it’s one of several main issues but I’m just baffled by this link. No way I’d have thought would be looking at him (if it’s all true)

Only in football could a player prove he's shite, with an even worse injury record, and get a pay rise.

Jesus fucking wept.

9 minutes ago, johnh said:

Not sure about him given his injury record but he's better than what we have.  DCL is a better footballer but he just can't score goals.

to be good and fair though john, Welbeck is never going to get better than he can do now, DCL is only going to continue improving all the tie, for now at least..

6 minutes ago, rubecula said:

to be good and fair though john, Welbeck is never going to get better than he can do now, DCL is only going to continue improving all the tie, for now at least..

Well, yes and no rubes.  DCL may continue to improve as a footballer but scoring goals is more a natural gift than something you can train for. When the ball is pinging around the penalty area and suddenly falls to your feet, you have maybe half a second to react.  A Jimmy Greaves will have it in the back of the net.  DCL will look up, look around and wonder why his shot is blocked.  Having said that, I don't see many games and quite often only see the highlights, but he does squander a lot of chances. The most worrying misses are those that go straight at the goalie, headers and shots.  It indicates that he doesn't even know where the goalie is - something every decent striker should be aware of at all times. Even worse, it may indicate that he does know where the goalie is but isn'tt capable of finding the space where the goalie isn'tt.  I really hope the lad makes good but I do have my reservations.

On the basis that, when fit, he’s much better than Tosun, Niasse, Sandro and DCL, I’d have him in a heartbeat... fitness is the huge issue though! In my opinion, it’s a risk worth taking if we sell Tosun and Niasse (hopefully Sandro too) but we’d need a 3rd striker too. DCL, Welbeck and a first choice striker would be fine by me.

God no! He's awful. Don't know whether he's a striker who can't score, or a winger who can't cross. DCL is better, I've never watched Henry O before but I'd rather risk him or another kid than bring Welbeck here.

I know Walcott isn'tt popular but I was happy we got him over Welbeck, at least Walcott has clear atrributes (pace* and finishing). I don't even know what Welbeck excels at, he's quick but not the fastest and awful in front of goal. 

*I know pace isn'tt a skill (it's a natura ability) but in the league at the moment it's important. 

7 hours ago, pete0 said:

God no! He's awful. Don't know whether he's a striker who can't score, or a winger who can't cross. DCL is better, I've never watched Henry O before but I'd rather risk him or another kid than bring Welbeck here.

I know Walcott isn'ttt popular but I was happy we got him over Welbeck, at least Walcott has clear atrributes (pace* and finishing). I don't even know what Welbeck excels at, he's quick but not the fastest and awful in front of goal. 

*I know pace isn'ttt a skill (it's a natura ability) but in the league at the moment it's important. 

1 hour ago, Matt said:

He’s a shit striker. His goal record proves that. If he’s fit, he’s an average forward at best. He’s also not the level we should be aiming for. I don’t think he’s an upgrade on Sandro, let alone the others. 

Thank god. All these "decent" striker comments were making me feel like my head was going to fall off.

Makis said Welbeck is hardly shit and I'd have to agree with him on reflection. He's actually very shit.