IGNORED

Jonjoe Kenny

• 4 months later...

https://tbrfootball.com/frank-lampard-raves-about-jonjoe-kenny-performance-against-leeds/

Do we offer Jonjoe a new contract? He is not going to be much wages and an obvious no transfer fee. 

We all know he is unlikely to make RB or LB his own position, but his is not going to cost us first 11 or 18 wages. 

If a player can keep Raphinia at bay when playing out of position at LB, then he is no mug. He also has Everton in his blood and always good to have local lads in the squad. 

Could he be another than could come out of his shell and flourish under Lampard. If he does sign a new contract, then there is also the potential for a modest fee in a season or two's time, if we move on and our quality improves in at both RB and LB. 

1 minute ago, RuffRob said:

https://tbrfootball.com/frank-lampard-raves-about-jonjoe-kenny-performance-against-leeds/

Do we offer Jonjoe a new contract? He is not going to be much wages and an obvious no transfer fee. 

We all know he is unlikely to make RB or LB his own position, but his is not going to cost us first 11 or 18 wages. 

If a player can keep Raphinia at bay when playing out of position at LB, then he is no mug. He also has Everton in his blood and always good to have local lads in the squad. 

Could he be another than could come out of his shell and flourish under Lampard. If he does sign a new contract, then there is also the potential for a modest fee in a season or two's time, if we move on and our quality improves in at both RB and LB. 

Whilst we are short in the full back positions I see no reason to get let him go. I thought he had filled in well at RB under Benitez, getting himself a couple of assists in the process. He then showed even better form in the last game.

I wouldn't expect him to ever become a regular but if he can fill in both sides he can be a handy player to keep around. 

Sounds like we are all pretty much in agreement.

If he is happy enough to stay and make up the numbers as a squad player with the chance that he could kick on and get more game time then great - and if he doesn't get much games time I would much rather the club be paying a local lad and Everton supporter than some foreign import. 

2 minutes ago, Palfy said:

What makes everyone so confident he will accept a new contract on much less wages than others and play second fiddle as well, he could quite easily go on a free back to Germany with a signing on fee a greater chance of playing every week, and a decent contract as well. 

Because he loves the club and if he thinks he can help he will. His little interview came across that way at least. 

1 minute ago, Matt said:

Because he loves the club and if he thinks he can help he will. His little interview came across that way at least. 

Well he loved his time in Germany and didn’t want to come back, but the club wouldn’t accept another loan deal but set a fee which they couldn’t afford. 
If we was talking Davies I’d definitely agree he has refused loan deals in the past preferring to stay and fight for his place.  

48 minutes ago, Palfy said:

What makes everyone so confident he will accept a new contract on much less wages than others and play second fiddle as well, he could quite easily go on a free back to Germany with a signing on fee a greater chance of playing every week, and a decent contract as well. 

Would have to be his choice. He should be paid what the going rate is, shouldn’t miss out on wages due to being a local/blue, and if he doesn’t want to sign and move on then fair play to him and wish him luck. If he plays like Saturday consistently he might find himself being first choice. 

54 minutes ago, Palfy said:

Well he loved his time in Germany and didn’t want to come back, but the club wouldn’t accept another loan deal but set a fee which they couldn’t afford. 
If we was talking Davies I’d definitely agree he has refused loan deals in the past preferring to stay and fight for his place.  

He wasn't raised a Schalke fan though. I dunno about him obviously but I imagine knowing that you're being picked even as a bit part player for your team is somewhat close to living the dream.

14 minutes ago, StevO said:

Would have to be his choice. He should be paid what the going rate is, shouldn’t miss out on wages due to being a local/blue, and if he doesn’t want to sign and move on then fair play to him and wish him luck. If he plays like Saturday consistently he might find himself being first choice. 

He might do all the things you said and hopefully will, but I was responding to all the posts above mine who thought he could be a cheap option as a squad player, and I’m saying I don’t think he will see it that way he knows he can be successful and be more than a bit part player on reduced wages. 

23 minutes ago, Matt said:

He wasn't raised a Schalke fan though. I dunno about him obviously but I imagine knowing that you're being picked even as a bit part player for your team is somewhat close to living the dream.

He’s always going to be an Everton supporter he was born that way, but my post wasn’t a slight on him it was to say to those who think he would be a good cheap bit part player, not to be to confident he will be happy with that he will be on a free and get offered or see a better future elsewhere. 

10 hours ago, Palfy said:

He’s always going to be an Everton supporter he was born that way, but my post wasn’t a slight on him it was to say to those who think he would be a good cheap bit part player, not to be to confident he will be happy with that he will be on a free and get offered or see a better future elsewhere. 

Oh I know mate. Personally I think he'll be a solid player and always had that belief, think he's a late bloomer. I'd rather keep him and loan the new kid out for a season then have 2 youngish experienced players to take over from Coleman. I think he would be happy with it but I take your point.

17 hours ago, Palfy said:

He might do all the things you said and hopefully will, but I was responding to all the posts above mine who thought he could be a cheap option as a squad player, and I’m saying I don’t think he will see it that way he knows he can be successful and be more than a bit part player on reduced wages. 

That’s why I said it would have to be his choice. If he chooses to go then best of luck to him. And also said he should be paid the going rate and not on the cheap. 

• 3 months later...

The absolute fuck :lol:. I wouldn't be too happy with a one year extension, but three is just letting deadwood stay for the fun of it. Had he come from anywhere other than our own academy, he would have been gone a while ago. 

Fully expect Delph to get a five year deal too now, because why not?

I think we have a mini dilemma at right back.

Coleman is on his way out and should only really be a back-up option this season.

Patterson is a bit of an unknown at this moment in time. From what I have seen, he looks like he will need time. 

Kenny did better than I expected when we needed him but he isnt a Premier League quality footballer. Good attitude, can do a job here or there, but not someone you want to play in a run of games.

Iwobi is a dodgy wing back IMO and not where I want him to play. 

I dont really see a starting right back in any of them. Patterson could be it, the others wont be, but its a risk.

I can only think that the logic of keeping Kenny around is because he is cheap and gives us another option if Patterson struggles and Coleman is injured or himself is struggling? 

The key phrase is "he has interest from other clubs". What's the best negotiation tactic? Play hard to get - for example, by very publicly offering a three-year deal. If we stated he has no future at Everton, we've just thrown away most of our bargaining chips.

In other words, ignore what we read right now until the transfer window is over and the mist begins to clear.

Just now, Cornish Steve said:

The key phrase is "he has interest from other clubs". What's the best negotiation tactic? Play hard to get - for example, by very publicly offering a three-year deal. If we stated he has no future at Everton, we've just thrown away most of our bargaining chips.

In other words, ignore what we read right now until the transfer window is over and the mist begins to clear.

He's out of contract, so what bargaining chips would we need?