IGNORED

Dominic Calvert-Lewin

4 hours ago, dunlopp9987 said:

I'm really confused/genuinely fascinated by your apparent disdain for him as a player. Is this one of those situations where someone chooses to dislike the popular thing just to be a contrarian? Believe me, I've been there. I was that guy when Avatar came out. 

Harry Kane is, undoubtedly, one of the best strikers in the PL era. He is a clinical finisher, has recently shown that he is adaptable and can also turn provider, and has consistently been scoring goals (usually over 20+ a season in the PL) since the 2014/15 season. 

Am I missing something??

Spurs score just as many when he doesn't play, and if anything look a better team. Kane's goals are more down to his teammates giving him more opportunities than most strikers get. I'm guessing most people don't watch him for a full 90, he broke down more attacks than any Leeds defender the other week. His flaws stand out when he doesn't get on the score sheet. I got similar dislike popular opinion accusations when I said basically the same about Sigurdsson, who just had the best output of any midfielder I can remember (13 goals, 6 assists) people thought I was mad to want rid as beyond getting a goal or assist he didn't contribute enough over the 90. Think most would now agree.

Don't worry Avatar was bollocks (although 3d was pretty cool), popular opinion isn't always right. Just look at who's running the country the last decade.

When they played Liverpool in the champions League final most people waited to see if Kane started before backing Liverpool to win.

Look at his skillset. What does he do better than DCL? The players SteveO named all have something that put them a class above. What does Kane have? Why are his pisspoor performances for England overlooked?

7 minutes ago, pete0 said:

When they played Liverpool in the champions League final most people waited to see if Kane started before backing Liverpool to win.

😂 where did you get this information?

That Champions League final was also Kane’s first game back after being injured in the April. 

4 minutes ago, StevO said:

😂 where did you get this information?

That Champions League final was also Kane’s first game back after being injured in the April. 

My betting friends, most media at the time and pretty sure it was discussed on here too, (not got time to search, need to set off in a minute). 

Spurs were playing better without him and Moura had just scored a hattrick to put them in the final. 

On 10/05/2021 at 13:25, markjazzbassist said:

as the old saying goes, a bird in hand is better than 2 in the bush.  i'd rather keep DCL and watch him continue to grow, improve and mature as a player, he will only get better.  

Personally I prefer a bird in the bush, but I will take the hand if its the only thing on offer...

On 11/05/2021 at 08:58, Hafnia said:

I'm not disputing DCLs quality.... I was one of the few touting him to become the player he is.

My point is that he could attract far more money than he is worth.  There is more hype to him than any other player we have. Every player has a price and DCL is one who could see a daft bid come in.

Do I think he's a goalscorer?  Not really no.  I think he has engineered a method for scoring goals in certain situations.  But I don't trust him to be as clinical in certain situations. 

He's a superb target man but I don't think the evolution of our team would play to his strengths. 

In an ideal world with no FFP you would keep him and get Usmanov to finance us to buy £300m worth of players.  But that's not happening.

I do agree with this argument but the reality is, it is never easy replacing anyone.

I don't think he is worth the money touted around recently but we have seen it time and time again that it isn't just as simple as buying someone else to come in and do the job.

Despite what I have said previously on this thread, I think we need to think more about replacing the weak links in the starting 11 and then worry about selling Dom when he is the weak link.

1 hour ago, Bailey said:

Personally I prefer a bird in the bush, but I will take the hand if its the only thing on offer...

35 minutes ago, Matt said:

I keep reading bird, bush and hand and giggling like a 15yr old 

apparently an american saying and not an english one.  here's a breakdown:

The phrase 'A Bird in the Hand is Worth Two in the Bush' is used for saying that it's better to hold onto something one has already than to risk losing it by trying to attain something better.

to @Matt get your head out of the gutter you perv ;)

1 hour ago, markjazzbassist said:

apparently an american saying and not an english one. 

Or not.

'A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush' is one of the oldest and best-known proverbs in English. It came into the language in the 15th century, probably imported from other cultures.

The proverb warns against taking unnecessary risks. It is better to keep what you have (a bird) than to risk getting more and ending with nothing (two birds which are out of your reach).

https://www.phrases.org.uk/meanings/a-bird-in-the-hand.html

The guys knew the proverb, they just regressed to the school playground (an eminently sensible thing to do I might add).

So who’s better? Kane or DCL.... I’m confused now with all these “FACTS” going around!

Always thought Kane was good, but now starting to realise I may have been very wrong.

Bit like the take Messi out of Barca and he becomes another Gary Birtles!

38 minutes ago, Shukes said:

So who’s better? Kane or DCL.... I’m confused now with all these “FACTS” going around!

Always thought Kane was good, but now starting to realise I may have been very wrong.

Bit like the take Messi out of Barca and he becomes another Gary Birtles!

But what do you think about birds and bushes?

On 11/05/2021 at 13:15, markjazzbassist said:

haf no chance we are getting Haaland, if we get 150m we will have to overpay by at least 20m on the striker we buy.  so who we gonna get?  

I didn't say we would get Haarland. I'm saying that £150m is his value. DCL is quality.... Just let me reiterate that. I'm merely suggesting every player has a price.

As for Harry "7 season wonder" Kane...... Well.... He's on course to break Shearer's record isn't he?

8 minutes ago, Aidan said:

What do you want him to do? Pick the ball up in our own half and dribble past 6 players? 

Look at the state of the service today, absolutely fuck all. Probably should have had a goal but despite the distance it wasn't as easy as it looked to score, really no time to react at all. 

Cash in on our leading goalscorer so we can have even less quality next year? Madness. 

I don’t rate him at all. He’s a striker who will feed off good service in the box. However in this team hes not helping at all. As much of a problem as any other of the poor performers. You can’t polish a turd. 

1 minute ago, MikeO said:

Then surely the problem is those providing the service rather than him?

Disagree there as well. Far too many easy chances missed this season. What’s his chance conversion rate against the other top strikers on the league? 

He offers absolutely nothing else when we’re trying to break teams down. His movement his absolutely terrible. He doesn’t bring anyone else into the game. 

Going back to a top strikers like Kane look at his chance conversion and assists. On another planet to DCL who is completely overrated! He’s not a scratch on Lukaku who took so much criticism in here. How I wish we had him now. 

1 minute ago, MC11 said:

Disagree there as well. Far too many easy chances missed this season. What’s his chance conversion rate against the other top strikers on the league? 

He offers absolutely nothing else when we’re trying to break teams down. His movement his absolutely terrible. He doesn’t bring anyone else into the game. 

Going back to a top strikers like Kane look at his chance conversion and assists. On another planet to DCL who is completely overrated! He’s not a scratch on Lukaku who took so much criticism in here. How I wish we had him now. 

So is he, "a striker who will feed off good service in the box" or not? If he is then we need to get him the service; but I fully agree Lukaku is/was different gravy

5 minutes ago, MikeO said:

So is he, "a striker who will feed off good service in the box" or not? If he is then we need to get him the service; but I fully agree Lukaku is/was different gravy

Not falling for your bait sorry Mike. I don’t rate him. I think he’s over hyped. Even by himself. That is all. 

7 minutes ago, c1982 said:

Put a fast as fuck winger on the right and a decent right back behind him and all of a sudden Dom (and Richarlison back on the left) looks a much better player. As a striking partnership Dom and Richy have very little telepathy but I do think both will thrive with more attacking quality in this squad.

I'd rather just bring in an actual left winger instead whatever the fuck Richarlison is.

4 minutes ago, Romey 1878 said:

I'd rather just bring in an actual left winger instead whatever the fuck Richarlison is.

Problem is - we need to get rid of Bernard and even Iwobi too before even considering Richarlison - that’s with Bolasie and Walcott already going. That leaves us with James and Gordon who could play in an attacking wide position. I’m far from happy with Richarlison this season but I’m not ready to give up on him.

Just now, c1982 said:

Problem is - we need to get rid of Bernard and even Iwobi too before even considering Richarlison - that’s with Bolasie and Walcott already going. That leaves us with James and Gordon who could play in an attacking wide position. I’m far from happy with Richarlison this season but I’m not ready to give up on him.

I'm not giving up on him either, he's just confirming everything I've thought about him since we were first linked with him. I've never got the hype with him whatsoever. He's not good enough to play as a first choice striker for sure. Or as a first choice wide player either in my opinion because he doesn't have the qualities for it at all. Pretty slow, can't beat a man because he has no skill, doesn't get his head up so is often unaware of things around him, selfish, wasteful.

We have a lot of turds for the wide positions but he's certainly one of them. He just maybe smells less.

If Ancelotti is here next season I think he will definitely be looking for a clinical finisher, and DCL may find himself as second fiddle in the strikers department. He has the pace the strength and the work rate in abundance he just isn’t a natural finisher and struggles to hit the target from 8 yards out, for me that’s a huge problem that will and has impacted on the team, very difficult to have to say because I want him to do so much better for us and himself.