IGNORED

Dominic Calvert-Lewin

7 minutes ago, Romey 1878 said:

We didn't sign Lukaku from abroad. I don't know who we replace him with but, as much as I love and rate him, he's not worth £80m, so if it came in I'd be very tempted to sell.

Apologies I should have said players who aren’t British, I would probably be more inclined to agree with you if 80 million was offered. 

2 hours ago, Palfy said:

Apologies I should have said players who aren’t British, I would probably be more inclined to agree with you if 80 million was offered. 

Don’t get me wrong I wouldn’t actively be shopping him about by any means, and I wouldn’t be annoyed in the slightest if we turned that money down, but in my opinion it’s something worth considering if the bid did come in. 

DCL to United would be more like Lukaku than Rooney. Does some good things, does some bad things and isn't the answer. Same for us. He is no way near elite - nor do I suspect he will be (and that's the key point). If we have a replacement lined up, I'd sell for 80m, no question. 

3 hours ago, Romey 1878 said:

We didn't sign Lukaku from abroad. I don't know who we replace him with but, as much as I love and rate him, he's not worth £80m, so if it came in I'd be very tempted to sell.

This for me too.

There is no way Dom is worth that amount of money, at least not in the way this side plays.

A bit like Lukaku, I am not sure that the United fans would take to him either.

1 hour ago, markjazzbassist said:

funny about lukaku, i saw him linked back to chelsea for 90m today, 44 goals in 68 league games in italy.

No chance.  He's done in the Prem.

Italian league is dross and it would be a shock to his system to come back.

I would take £80m for DCL. Love the lad but every player has his value and we could get some serious talent in for that money. 

11 hours ago, Palfy said:

Maybe Gana and Lukaku 😉

Lukaku could possibly do a job for us if we continue to strengthen the side. 

I've always said Lukaku is the ideal player for a very strong side.  In a team that requires a forward to help out in terms of holding the ball up etc.... No.  Which pretty much makes him a non choice for most in the Prem. Even city like their forwards to work from the front 

43 minutes ago, Hafnia said:

I've always said Lukaku is the ideal player for a very strong side.  In a team that requires a forward to help out in terms of holding the ball up etc.... No.  Which pretty much makes him a non choice for most in the Prem. Even city like their forwards to work from the front 

I think he’s bulked up too much and lost a bit of that pace he had that made him clinical. Honestly, for what Dom lacks in finishing I still don’t think we can get any one better overall than him. Next season will be huge for him.

1 hour ago, Hafnia said:

Errr.... wut? 

56 minutes ago, Matt said:

Errr.... wut? 

Always said. Lukaku would have been a great bench option for man city - his impact sub performances have often been great.  WBA and Belgium.

For what he costs it makes him a bit of a luxury.  For last 20 minutes of a game against tiring legs is where he can be an asset 

1 hour ago, Zoo 2.0 said:

Lukaku's final season where he was pushing to put himself in the shop window was insane, he had absolutely everything and I honestly thought that he was going to go and make himself into a world-class player. He was criminally mismanaged by Manchester United, making him bulk up and hold up the ball rather doing what he was good at and running behind the defensive line turned him into an easy target for fan disapproval. I'm made up with the money we got for him, but there is a part of me that's a little sad he never pushed on after leaving us - though glad that he does seem to have found some form in Milan.

While I'm here, enjoy 15 minutes of Romelu tearing it up in a blue shirt. 

Absolutely loved watching him in a blue shirt. As you said Zoo, that last season, he had the lot! Made it even harder to see him go. That player with Richarlison and James would be electric! 

14 hours ago, Zoo 2.0 said:

Lukaku's final season where he was pushing to put himself in the shop window was insane, he had absolutely everything and I honestly thought that he was going to go and make himself into a world-class player. He was criminally mismanaged by Manchester United, making him bulk up and hold up the ball rather doing what he was good at and running behind the defensive line turned him into an easy target for fan disapproval. I'm made up with the money we got for him, but there is a part of me that's a little sad he never pushed on after leaving us - though glad that he does seem to have found some form in Milan.

Pure quality a scoring machine doing what he’s paid to do, will we ever see the likes in a blue shirt again I’d like to think so but what a hard act to follow. 
That was great to watch but equally depressing when you look at us now, making more clear cut chances in games than we have in years yet not having the players with the ability and consistency to slot them home, oh my god if he was in this team he would be easily getting 30 plus a season. 

50 minutes ago, Shukes said:

Honestly, our issue is that we aren’t creating chances... not that we’re creating shed loads.

last ten matches have been dire as far as chances created. Again we’ve been much better when James is playing, but without him we dont seem to be able to create anything of note. It’s been a very frustrating season as we know when our first 11 is on the pitch, we’re a match for anyone.

If Lukaku was here this season, he would be leaving in a few months.

A fair amount of the time yes, but there are exceptions; eighteen shots against Spurs being the obvious one. We also had fifteen against Palace and fourteen v Burnley. Not every shot is a chance admittedly but we did miss good chances in all those games.

1 hour ago, MikeO said:

A fair amount of the time yes, but there are exceptions; eighteen shots against Spurs being the obvious one. We also had fifteen against Palace and fourteen v Burnley. Not every shot is a chance admittedly but we did miss good chances in all those games.

Don’t disagree mate. But as you say, they are exceptions.

Im hoping we can have a little consistency now and really push on. Richie is generally going to put a few of those chances away, same with Dom. If we can have a good few chances each match from now until the end of the season.... then we can put in a serious challenge for Europe.

But we are Everton haha.

9 hours ago, Palfy said:

Pure quality a scoring machine doing what he’s paid to do, will we ever see the likes in a blue shirt again I’d like to think so but what a hard act to follow. 
That was great to watch but equally depressing when you look at us now, making more clear cut chances in games than we have in years yet not having the players with the ability and consistency to slot them home, oh my god if he was in this team he would be easily getting 30 plus a season. 

Yeah no doubt about it we will see better than him and soon. DCL isn't as good a finisher as Rom and he's potentially gonna get 18 prem goals.

As a team DCL gives us more cohesion and structure. Never got that from Rom. 

23 hours ago, Zoo 2.0 said:

His weight gain?  The one he blamed on a digestive issue...when he was told by Inter to stop eating fried food and potatoes and to eat fish and veg.

Hes where he is cos that that's his level.  United would not have sold him if it wasn't the case.  They sold him and got Cavani for free eventually.  

No one doubts his ability to score goals on his day, it's just that not much else comes with it and the predictability of his "days" is tough. 

On 30/04/2021 at 07:44, Btay said:

I think he’s bulked up too much and lost a bit of that pace he had that made him clinical. Honestly, for what Dom lacks in finishing I still don’t think we can get any one better overall than him. Next season will be huge for him.

I would say he lacks in a lot more than finishing. Lets be honest, if he wasn't as big, quick and willing to run himself into the ground he probably wouldn't be in the league. 

3 hours ago, MikeO said:

I know you dont like it but our xG for our last 10 games is:

Arsenal 0.53xG - 4 shots inside the box. 0.09xG on set pieces.

Spurs 2.26xG - Lots of box shots. 1.09xG on set pieces. 

Brighton 0.31xG - 3 shots in box. 0.05xG on set pieces.

Palace 2.53xG - Lots of box shots. 0.36xG on set pieces.

Burnley 1.70xG - Lots of box shots. 0.41xG on set pieces. 

Chelsea 0.27xG - 2 shots in box. 0.09xG on SP.

WBA 1.41xG - 5 shots in box. 0.58xG on set pieces. 

Soton 1.42xG - 6 shots in box. 0.64xG on SP.

Liverpool 2.01xG - 4 shots in box. 0.85xG on SP.

City 1.05xG - 3 shots at all and all open play. 

Over this period we have an average xG of 13.49 and open play xG of just 9.33. 

To compare gainst other teams this season I will use the average xG per game. Based on the above, ours will be 1.35 per game and 0.93 from open play. 

1.35xG per game would put us in the bottom half of the table. 

The top 5 have the following average xG from open play per game:

City 1.62

Utd 1.33

Leicester 1.21

Chelsea 1.21

West Ham & Arsenal 1.18

Liverpool 1.55

Spurs 1.06

Leeds 1.24

Fulham 0.79

WBA & Burnley 0.64

Sheffield 0.67

Newcastle 0.88

The reason I highlight open play xG is because good sides create more good open play chances than bad sides. Set pieces should supplement open play chances rather than the other way around. 

This shows to me that we are still miles off the top teams but thankfully we are also well ahead of those down the bottom. Our attacking returns are consistent with teams in the bottom half, albeit probably a little lower than based on total xG meaning that we are probably overperforming on set piece goals slightly. Without doing the research it would also show thst we have done well defensively because I would imagine the difference between us and the likes of Newcastle is the number of goals shipped. 

Big improvements are needed and lets hope we get some encouragement before the end of the season.

2 minutes ago, Bailey said:

I would say he lacks in a lot more than finishing. Lets be honest, if he wasn't as big, quick and willing to run himself into the ground he probably wouldn't be in the league. 

I know you dont like it but our xG for our last 10 games is:

Arsenal 0.53xG - 4 shots inside the box. 0.09xG on set pieces.

Spurs 2.26xG - Lots of box shots. 1.09xG on set pieces. 

Brighton 0.31xG - 3 shots in box. 0.05xG on set pieces.

Palace 2.53xG - Lots of box shots. 0.36xG on set pieces.

Burnley 1.70xG - Lots of box shots. 0.41xG on set pieces. 

Chelsea 0.27xG - 2 shots in box. 0.09xG on SP.

WBA 1.41xG - 5 shots in box. 0.58xG on set pieces. 

Soton 1.42xG - 6 shots in box. 0.64xG on SP.

Liverpool 2.01xG - 4 shots in box. 0.85xG on SP.

City 1.05xG - 3 shots at all and all open play. 

Over this period we have an average xG of 13.49 and open play xG of just 9.33. 

To compare gainst other teams this season I will use the average xG per game. Based on the above, ours will be 1.35 per game and 0.93 from open play. 

1.35xG per game would put us in the bottom half of the table. 

The top 5 have the following average xG from open play per game:

City 1.62

Utd 1.33

Leicester 1.21

Chelsea 1.21

West Ham & Arsenal 1.18

Liverpool 1.55

Spurs 1.06

Leeds 1.24

Fulham 0.79

WBA & Burnley 0.64

Sheffield 0.67

Newcastle 0.88

The reason I highlight open play xG is because good sides create more good open play chances than bad sides. Set pieces should supplement open play chances rather than the other way around. 

This shows to me that we are still miles off the top teams but thankfully we are also well ahead of those down the bottom. Our attacking returns are consistent with teams in the bottom half, albeit probably a little lower than based on total xG meaning that we are probably overperforming on set piece goals slightly. Without doing the research it would also show thst we have done well defensively because I would imagine the difference between us and the likes of Newcastle is the number of goals shipped. 

Big improvements are needed and lets hope we get some encouragement before the end of the season.

Blackadder.jpg

7 minutes ago, Shukes said:

Seriously haha? You think we are a very creative team? Told you before Palf.... leave off that red wine mate 😉

And why didn’t you respond to my Gana quote twat!

In chances  per game under Ancelotti yes we are creating more opportunities than under Silva Allardyce and Koeman by quite a considerable amount, but I wouldn’t say we are creative in our general play just opportunities at goal per game on what we have witnessed in the last five years.