IGNORED

Dominic Calvert-Lewin

this is his first full campaign playing nearly every match and starting.  he's played bit part roles most other campaigns.  let him continue to learn about endurance, stamina, and grow.  he will come back next year in a different mindset and fitness and be ready.  you only learn and grow through experience IMO

I am sure he probably is a bit tired just as most players will be at this time of the season but I don't think that has changed anything. He is still doing the same things he was before but the ball isn't getting to him inside the 6 yard box as it was at the start of the season. That quality chance was never going to be sustainable.

6 hours ago, Btay said:

Richy probably would have scored Dom’s as well, just how it goes I guess!

Of all the chances the easiest was the one on one for Dom. The view from behind the goal shows he has so much of the goal gaping for him, but hit the keeper. Terrible miss for me.

But I still have faith in him and I am sure he will start hitting the back of the net again. 

16 minutes ago, Romey 1878 said:

The first one he should've done what Richy did against Southampton and gone around the keeper.

He needs to improve his decision making when he's given time to think. I have no doubt it'll be something he'll put the time in to improve though.

Exactly, so much time for him to skip it around the keeper and slot it.

As you mentioned, I don’t think Dom is the type to be content. I really hope he knows there’s room for improvement and he is still young enough to improve.

16 hours ago, duncanmckenzieismagic said:

I think it’s more a case of the way he is being asked to play, basically staying between the sticks, if we don’t create the chances for him then he offers nothing to the team and since James has been out we have really struggled to make any chances

Yes he has been guilty of missing a few sitters when they have come his way recently but I’m sure once we get back to playing some attacking football he will quickly be on another scoring streak 

He offers so much more than goals. He defends from the front, he creates space. "Offers nothing to the team" unless he's scoring is just nonsense 

He does Matt. He keeps defenders occupied on him and stretches opposition defences. 
And like Richie, how many defensive headers does he make at the near post.

I also think Dom gets an unfair ride when it comes to his technical ability. He has a decent touch on him and can take a player on. The other week he sent Richie through for two one on ones that if scored would have been labelled as assists.

7 minutes ago, Shukes said:

He does Matt. He keeps defenders occupied on him and stretches opposition defences. 
And like Richie, how many defensive headers does he make at the near post.

I also think Dom gets an unfair ride when it comes to his technical ability. He has a decent touch on him and can take a player on. The other week he sent Richie through for two one on ones that if scored would have been labelled as assists.

His technical ability and passing range is massively under appreciated. If he did what he does for us at Barca, he'd be in all the headlines. His finishing outside of heading and poaching still needs a lot of work. Other than that he's got it all

• 3 weeks later...

Don't want to jinx it and say that it won't happen, but Manchester United desperately need a centre back and have decided to renew Eric Bailly's contract rather than spending decent money on one. I'd be very surprised if they then went and threw £100m at Calvert-Lewin, considering the Glazers clearly do not want to spend money. 

If this was Manchester City then yeah, maybe the story has legs but I just can't see United spending big cash, especially if they bring in Sancho. They'll probably move Martial to centre forward and/or Mason Greenwood.

Edit: Forgot to mention that £80m would pay for Calvert-Lewins socks and shinpads, with the way the market is (especially around English players) I'd start the bidding at £150m.

1 minute ago, Palfy said:

It won’t happen even at 100 million, he’s on a long contract and we aren’t a selling club, are we?

Unless of course Carlo believes he can get a more consistent goal scoring striker as a replacement. 

Every club is a selling club. 

Nothing in this though. They'll be after Kane who's spoken out quite publicly today/yesterday about wanting to win team trophies 

2 minutes ago, Matt said:

Every club is a selling club. 

Nothing in this though. They'll be after Kane who's spoken out quite publicly today/yesterday about wanting to win team trophies 

Kane would be a great fit for any team, whether United would pay 150 million plus is another matter, but there might be a possibility that they look at DCL as the new version of the Wayne Rooney story, from Everton to United and world stardom. 

12 minutes ago, Palfy said:

Kane would be a great fit for any team, whether United would pay 150 million plus is another matter, but there might be a possibility that they look at DCL as the new version of the Wayne Rooney story, from Everton to United and world stardom. 

DC-L will never be mentioned in the same chapter as Rooney if/when someone writes a history of ex-Everton players in the future. Different gravy.

4 minutes ago, MikeO said:

DC-L will never be mentioned in the same chapter as Rooney if/when someone writes a history of ex-Everton players in the future. Different gravy.

That wasn’t meant to have been taken seriously, it was a tongue in cheek comment. 

10 hours ago, Palfy said:

DCL could be brilliant, but not comparable with Rooney

35 minutes ago, Romey 1878 said:

If the money was right I'd sell any of our players, no matter who they are. 

The PL seems to be a different beast when it comes to strikers from abroad, we haven’t had that much luck in the last couple of decades bar Lukaku, if he goes who do we replace him with for the same sort of money. 
Although if he was to go it could change the dynamics of the team and we play a more passing game instead of hitting the long ball to a target man. 

1 hour ago, Palfy said:

The PL seems to be a different beast when it comes to strikers from abroad, we haven’t had that much luck in the last couple of decades bar Lukaku, if he goes who do we replace him with for the same sort of money. 
Although if he was to go it could change the dynamics of the team and we play a more passing game instead of hitting the long ball to a target man. 

We didn't sign Lukaku from abroad. I don't know who we replace him with but, as much as I love and rate him, he's not worth £80m, so if it came in I'd be very tempted to sell.