IGNORED

Dominic Calvert-Lewin

fingers crossed it's not a full on pulled hamstring that sees him out for the next month.

Didn't seem too bad when he came off and hopefully was taking precaution coming off before it could get any worse.

I was thinking it would be good to start King on Sunday anyway and rest DCL for the next 2 big games but that looks probably forced now!  Hopefully he'll be back for next week though.

1 minute ago, FairWooney said:

fingers crossed it's not a full on pulled hamstring that sees him out for the next month.

Didn't seem too bad when he came off and hopefully was taking precaution coming off before it could get any worse.

I was thinking it would be good to start King on Sunday anyway and rest DCL for the next 2 big games but that looks probably forced now!  Hopefully he'll be back for next week though.

Got to do everything possible to get him back for the City game with him being in good goal scoring form again.

Obviously not so much that if he played he'd make the injury worse like.

He did a hamstring injury earlier in the season, but I am not sure he had a scan. I also cant find anything about which leg it was. Odds are this one is going to be worse and he may end up missing a couple of games at least.

In fairness, Richarlison did really well up top and he has his shooting boots on as well. It's not like Richarlison was doing much on the left either so hopefully someone else can come into that spot and stake a claim.

16 hours ago, Romey 1878 said:

Got to do everything possible to get him back for the City game with him being in good goal scoring form again.

Obviously not so much that if he played he'd make the injury worse like.

I would think we've learned our lesson (more than once) about rushing injured players back too soon. We have Richarlison and King, so I'd rather take the long-term view.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
7 minutes ago, MC11 said:

Becoming obvious he’s reliant on other players getting him a goal. No creativity for himself or any other player. I personally think he’s poor. 

I don’t think he’s poor by any means, but there is some truth to what you’re saying. When it comes to goals, he’s going to have to learn to be more than a fox in the box if he wants to make it to the next level as a striker. 

14 minutes ago, MC11 said:

Becoming obvious he’s reliant on other players getting him a goal. No creativity for himself or any other player. I personally think he’s poor. 

I agree unfortunately, he had a purple patch months ago but has not done much of note for quite a while imo. 

39 minutes ago, MC11 said:

I don’t think he’s poor at all but I think his decision making/link-up (unless in the 6 yard box) needs a lot of work. His hold-up is excellent but he often makes poor decisions when he’s got hold of it. Aerially, he’s excellent too.

I do think he will improve in other areas of his game - the improvement in the past 12months has been incredible really. I do think he needs more competition for his spot but the thought of having him in a fully fit and strengthened squad next season excites me.

58 minutes ago, MC11 said:

What striker in the history of football hasn't needed creative players to make chances for him? Lineker got a nosebleed outside the penalty area, Sharp and Gray (and Latchford) were pure finishers, I'd wager Dixie was as well. It's a team game.

1 minute ago, MikeO said:

What striker in the history of football hasn't needed creative players to make chances for him? Lineker got a nosebleed outside the penalty area, Sharp and Gray (and Latchford) were pure finishers, I'd wager Dixie was as well. It's a team game.

It is a team game but when he’s not scoring why can’t he become a provider, I think he does need people to provide for him in the 6yrd box or closer, he’s a big strong lad blessed with a bit of pace, but unfortunately lacking in the ability to be finisher like the players you mentioned I wonder how many other strikers who have played as many games as him this season in PL don’t have an assist to their name, for me that’s a poor stat and one he needs to address, Kane as had as many assists this season as goals he’s scored, I’m not trying to compare DCL to Kane because I don’t expect him to have 13 or 14 assists but surely 1,2,3 or 4 isn’t asking to much is it. 

7 minutes ago, Palfy said:

It is a team game but when he’s not scoring why can’t he become a provider, I think he does need people to provide for him in the 6yrd box or closer, he’s a big strong lad blessed with a bit of pace, but unfortunately lacking in the ability to be finisher like the players you mentioned I wonder how many other strikers who have played as many games as him this season in PL don’t have an assist to their name, for me that’s a poor stat and one he needs to address, Kane as had as many assists this season as goals he’s scored, I’m not trying to compare DCL to Kane because I don’t expect him to have 13 or 14 assists but surely 1,2,3 or 4 isn’t asking to much is it. 

Kane also has 3 years on DCL, and Kane didn't really become a playmaker (in terms of assists) until this year. While I agree that I do think DCL could and should do more, he's still young and very well could turn into the type of striker who gets 10+ assists 

13 minutes ago, Palfy said:

Love to see a stat on how many assists Lineker had, maybe one a year at a guess.

3 minutes ago, Romey 1878 said:

I'd be pissed about him not getting assists if I didn't know that Ancelotti has basically told him to goal hang and make sure he's in the 6 yard box when the ball comes in.

I agree but like I said when that’s not happening when we are unable to pressure team’s and get the ball in the 6yrd box he should be adding something else to the game, like assists for others or trying to make his own goals by having the odd run and shot from just in or outside the area but we don’t see none of that, and I can’t believe that people don’t believe a player of his strength size and speed shouldn’t be expected to do more than score from 2 or 3 yards out. 

Just now, Palfy said:

I agree but like I said when that’s not happening when we are unable to pressure team’s and get the ball in the 6yrd box he should be adding something else to the game, like assists for others or trying to make his own goals by having the odd run and shot from just in or outside the area but we don’t see none of that, and I can’t believe that people don’t believe a player of his strength size and speed shouldn’t be expected to do more than score from 2 or 3 yards out. 

I do expect more than that, but if that's the way the manager is asking him to play then I don't really see the point in getting annoyed about him not doing it. He's got instructions and he's carrying them out.

He offers absolutely nothing other than the goals he’s scored and those goals are nowhere near as prolific as Lineker so a poor comparison - for now anyway. 

I also believe Carlo has told him to goal hang because he knows his game is limited. That’s getting the best out of him. His all around game is poor and whilst he’s not the worst striker we’ve had he’s nowhere near the best or the answer. We need another striker to at least put pressure on his place in the team.