IGNORED

Dominic Calvert-Lewin

23 hours ago, Paddock said:

11 goals and 7 assista in 73 appearances is not great is it. I know he’s young and a lot of those will be dub appearances but you look at the likes of Lukaku, Fowler, Owen, Rooney,Henry, Anelka etc etc by the time they were his age they were rattling 20 a season. He’s not a goalscorer and that’s my biggest worry with him. I like the lad, I really do but where does he fit in if we buy a big name striker? We don’t and doubt under Silva we will play a second striker and he’s no good when pushed out wide.

Can't argue with the those cold facts, but if you look at 8 of the 11 being this season it looks promising, I think he has the ability to progress, the run in the team is giving him the confidence he needed, I can see him getting 15 plus next season, add Richarlison and Siggys threat of a similar no and it's not looking bad, even better if Bernard starts to find the net. I'd rather have the treat coming from a number of players instead of one, it covers the dip in form or injuries.

He's got the lot... I've said this for a long time now.  There were moments where he looked far from ready but the attributes to be a top striker are there. His pace being one.... 21.4 mph he hit that's rapid.... that's quicker than walcott, Ronaldo and Lennon from records a few years back. 

In the air he's getting better.... now he knows his inclusion in the side isn'tt dependant on goals I believe you will see him flourish. 

This lad is a genuine genuine talent. 

6 hours ago, hafnia said:

He's got the lot... I've said this for a long time now.  There were moments where he looked far from ready but the attributes to be a top striker are there. His pace being one.... 21.4 mph he hit that's rapid.... that's quicker than walcott, Ronaldo and Lennon from records a few years back. 

In the air he's getting better.... now he knows his inclusion in the side isn'ttt dependant on goals I believe you will see him flourish. 

This lad is a genuine genuine talent. 

I can’t argue with what you said about his desire pace hard work etc but Silva is right when he said he was disappointed by our lack of goals, and for that reason I don’t think he will be given the time to develop further next season if he doesn’t start burying them from now to the end of the season.

Brands and Silva will be looking to bring in a proven goal scorer, I think they are getting exasperated by the amount opportunities we create and the lack of opportunities taken, something has to change. 

honestly i think the goal blame is shared equally between all our forward players, bernard, dcl, gylfi, and richarlison and then the bench players lookman walcott davies tosun.  the only ones who score are gylfi richarlison and to a lesser extent DCL.  the whole rest of the lot has been pretty bad in front of the net.  so to just blame DCL is short sighted in my opinion.

1 minute ago, markjazzbassist said:

honestly i think the goal blame is shared equally between all our forward players, bernard, dcl, gylfi, and richarlison and then the bench players lookman walcott davies tosun.  the only ones who score are gylfi richarlison and to a lesser extent DCL.  the whole rest of the lot has been pretty bad in front of the net.  so to just blame DCL is short sighted in my opinion.

Very true and DCL has been either subbed on or off on most, his tally is OK based on that, he's not that many behind Lacazzette either.

7 minutes ago, Romey 1878 said:

How many of those chances have been missed by DCL though?

He does need to be getting on the end of chances for sure, but right now he’s coming in handy for causing havoc in the oppositions defence by dragging them all over the pitch creating space for the likes of Sigurdsson, Richarlison and Bernard. If anything, those three need to do better for Dominic. 

I was in the Gwladys end and your right Gylfi and Bernard should have done better with there chances, but if we don’t start converting chances and we go out and buy a striker in the summer in all honesty who do you think will be dropped, Gylfi Richarlison Bernard or DCL. 

Now whether it’s right or wrong if they get a striker in they want he will become the fall guy unfairly in all our opinions, but the management are going to be looking to turn our opportunities into goals, so I believe if he doesn’t start sticking them away he will more than likely loose his starting place next season. 

13 minutes ago, markjazzbassist said:

So do I but I fear if we don’t start converting our chances the striker will generally be the 1st to lose his place. 

3 minutes ago, Palfy said:

So do I but I fear if we don’t start converting our chances the striker will generally be the 1st to lose his place. 

the left winger has been the worst of the 3 when it comes to scoring that's bernard.  richy gylfi and dcl pulling their weight.  i love bernard as much as the next guy but he has shown the least ability to score.

12 minutes ago, markjazzbassist said:

the left winger has been the worst of the 3 when it comes to scoring that's bernard.  richy gylfi and dcl pulling their weight.  i love bernard as much as the next guy but he has shown the least ability to score.

He missed some great chances but I don’t think we will see another winger coming in for the right or left side before we see a striker come in imo. 

1 minute ago, Palfy said:

He missed some great chances but I don’t think we will see another winger coming in for the right or left side before we see a striker come in imo. 

had DCL started and played more like myself and others were saying, he would be on double digits for the year.  bernard has scored 1 goal all year and played a lot more than DCL.  i'm not picking on bernard, just saying we need to take a more wholistic approach to goals than just "get the striker".  what if said striker is injured?  we just buy another one in winter?  i don't want to be too reliant on 1 player.  frankly we need more goals from everyone.

i just went to the premier league site and look at the goals stats for other teams to prove my point.  didn't work out too well 😂  seems most teams (even top 4 sides) have 1 or 2 doing the majority of the work and then everyone else with goals here and there.  best example i could find of well spread out would be man u and watford.  so i don't even know if what i want is really that acheiveable but it's an idea!

23 minutes ago, markjazzbassist said:

had DCL started and played more like myself and others were saying, he would be on double digits for the year.  bernard has scored 1 goal all year and played a lot more than DCL.  i'm not picking on bernard, just saying we need to take a more wholistic approach to goals than just "get the striker".  what if said striker is injured?  we just buy another one in winter?  i don't want to be too reliant on 1 player.  frankly we need more goals from everyone.

i just went to the premier league site and look at the goals stats for other teams to prove my point.  didn't work out too well 😂  seems most teams (even top 4 sides) have 1 or 2 doing the majority of the work and then everyone else with goals here and there.  best example i could find of well spread out would be man u and watford.  so i don't even know if what i want is really that acheiveable but it's an idea!

Shot down by your own investigation is that an own goal 😂 I know what you are saying though more people should be coming up with the goods, 20 something attempts and only one converted you can understand why Silva isn’t best pleased and I’m pleased he’s not pleased. 

1 hour ago, markjazzbassist said:

Another elephant in the room regarding the current manager, has there ever been one so reluctant to use kids? No debuts this season and only Lookman with more minutes than he got last year. 

Was looking at the spread of our goals the other day, didn't bother checking the others thought but I'd imagine most have more than just the three players with more than 3 goals. Digne is our 4th top scorer (3) and joint top for assists (4).

My late stepdad used to say of ivy that the first year it sleeps, the second year is creeps, and the third year it leaps. I get the feeling we're in the second year for DC-L and look forward to him leaping ahead next season. What's really exciting is the possibility of DC-L and Henry creating a partnership that has them scoring goals for fun.

23 hours ago, Palfy said:

I was in the Gwladys end and your right Gylfi and Bernard should have done better with there chances, but if we don’t start converting chances and we go out and buy a striker in the summer in all honesty who do you think will be dropped, Gylfi Richarlison Bernard or DCL. 

Now whether it’s right or wrong if they get a striker in they want he will become the fall guy unfairly in all our opinions, but the management are going to be looking to turn our opportunities into goals, so I believe if he doesn’t start sticking them away he will more than likely loose his starting place next season. 

Haf's on the case already :D

1 hour ago, hafnia said:

I only give shit to players who don't give a shit.  DCL is in for a huge season starting August. 

Agreed. Like Silva has said, he does need to sharpen up his decisions in final third - doesnt mean he needs to score but find/look for that final ball. 

Very promising signs though.

• 2 weeks later...
8 hours ago, barryj said:

Walcott could have helped out with that today. I was willing him to square it for DCL to tap in as his performances of late deserve a goal. 

Me too 100%, I kept saying to my son after the third, it would be good for his confidence. When did Walcott last  give someone else an opportunity when he can grab the glory?, really thought he had made another mess of an opportunity with his first touch before actually finishing well.

DCL was great again yesterday, again without the goal to give him any numerical award, his header was an assist for Richarlison and he was up with Walcott for the Tap in if it came, all good signs to me. MOTD2 gave him praise also, particularly Keown.

There was also a very good interview with Dom in the Times on Saturday, he certainly is saying all the right things.