IGNORED

Weirdness Abounds (or the Idrissa Gana Gueye Thread)

1 minute ago, Palfy said:

So do you think we should get the business done now or wait till end of the season. 

i meant it more in his case.  didn't have a good time at Barca, sure he will get offers but what if those club situations turn out like Barca?  Everton he likes, is settled, knows what to expect and has the fans/club/manager/players already on his side, i would think having that in hand would give us the advantage over the clubs that just try and throw money at him.  his depression at barca was well documented.

1 minute ago, markjazzbassist said:

i meant it more in his case.  didn't have a good time at Barca, sure he will get offers but what if those club situations turn out like Barca?  Everton he likes, is settled, knows what to expect and has the fans/club/manager/players already on his side, i would think having that in hand would give us the advantage over the clubs that just try and throw money at him.  his depression at barca was well documented.

Good points 👍

17 hours ago, Palfy said:

So do you think we should get the business done now or wait till end of the season. 

I'd be extremely surprised if discussions aren't going on every week. Remember, we started negotiations for Rom on a permanent transfer before he even signed on loan, and it took 15 months or something like that.

Multi-million deals take a long time. Even last minute signings will have most of the leg work and negotiation done. For me, the biggest concern is whether the lad will want to stay or if he'll be promised more of a prominent role at Barca upon his return. He seems to have settled here brilliantly, and looks like he's enjoying his time, but if he's told Barca really want him then it's going to be a lot harder. 

On 26/11/2018 at 16:35, Palfy said:

Your not concerned that he may get better and better and if we leave for 6 months or so we could end up in a auction and he gets an offer which is more suitable to him and his family. 

Just a thought. 

If he gets an offer that’s better for him and his family then staying here isn’t a good idea to start with. Maybe. 

On 25/11/2018 at 05:38, Romey 1878 said:

I’m going to start thinking of Gana and Gomes as Tick and Tock for us, because those two really make us tick. 

Obviously, Gomes is the far more expansive of the two but Gana allows him to play that game because he's the tenacious one. Our little Duracell bunny goes around retrieving the ball, and our Portuguese god gets it and moves it. Whether that's with a pass or with a driving run. But neither one can do their job without the other one. They are a true partnership. These two are as an important of a cog as Sigurdsson and Richarlison are for me.

And yeah, Gana will occasionally mess up in his pursuit of the ball (as he did at least once yesterday), but players aren't perfect and Gomes will make mistakes, but it doesn't take a thing away from the good they do, or how vital they are to us.

It just shows how some partnerships are made in heaven while others are made in hell. If Gana and Gomes are tick and tock, then Gana and Schneiderlin were matter and antimatter. 

3 hours ago, StevO said:

If he gets an offer that’s better for him and his family then staying here isn’t a good idea to start with. Maybe. 

Not many better cities in the world than Barcelona. Not many bigger clubs either.... yet he was miserable. 

Maybe he knows more than anyone that his happiness isn'tt aligned to money, location or stature of club.... it's the feeling that he is wanted and appreciated for his talents....that he is fulfilling something dear to him.  He can do that here.  

53 minutes ago, hafnia said:

Not many better cities in the world than Barcelona. Not many bigger clubs either.... yet he was miserable. 

Maybe he knows more than anyone that his happiness isn'ttt aligned to money, location or stature of club.... it's the feeling that he is wanted and appreciated for his talents....that he is fulfilling something dear to him.  He can do that here.  

I agree with your sentiments I just think we need to get him signed sooner rather than later, why prolong it and gamble that others don't come in and turn his head.

I think everyone knows he's exactly what we want and we don't need to see anymore of him to make sure, so just get on with making an offer the longer we leave it the harder it could get.

1 hour ago, Palfy said:

I agree with your sentiments I just think we need to get him signed sooner rather than later, why prolong it and gamble that others don't come in and turn his head.

I think everyone knows he's exactly what we want and we don't need to see anymore of him to make sure, so just get on with making an offer the longer we leave it the harder it could get.

I'd pay £50m right now.   Sounds dramatic but I'm serious..... never did I dream he would be this good. 

He may dip but his performances without a preseason in a league that is different to anything he has played in has been a pleasant surprise. 

He could be worth £70m plus by the end of the season and if that's the case Barca will get that or keep him.  I agree... move in now. 

12 hours ago, hafnia said:

Maybe he knows more than anyone that his happiness isn'ttt aligned to money, location or stature of club.... it's the feeling that he is wanted and appreciated for his talents....that he is fulfilling something dear to him.  He can do that here.  

Agree completely, I think as the season progresses he will want to stay. Marco already said they aren’t putting any pressure on him yet, just letting him enjoy himself. I think he’ll want to stay. 

Yeah gueye was shite at villa supposedly...... Sherwood says not. 

Funny though.... this week sarri started critiquing kante for not being technical.. talk about shooting yourself in the foot.  What the fuck is wrong with some people? The game has gone fuckin bonkers.   Maybe he needs to focus on crusty the clown - the defender who can't defend but looks nice on the ball. 

1 hour ago, hafnia said:

Funny though.... this week sarri started critiquing kante for not being technical.. talk about shooting yourself in the foot.  What the fuck is wrong with some people? The game has gone fuckin bonkers.   Maybe he needs to focus on crusty the clown - the defender who can't defend but looks nice on the ball. 

Bet you wouldn’t complain if he said it about Lukaku 😉

6 hours ago, hafnia said:

I get Sarri’s point. In our team Gomes has been the deeper of the two, with Gana defending from the front. Sarri wants Jorginho playing how we play Gomes. I don’t see why heads are falling off because of it. Kanye just doesn’t suit his system but he’s playing him for his legs and his ability to defend high up the pitch. 

29 minutes ago, StevO said:

I get Sarri’s point. In our team Gomes has been the deeper of the two, with Gana defending from the front. Sarri wants Jorginho playing how we play Gomes. I don’t see why heads are falling off because of it. Kanye just doesn’t suit his system but he’s playing him for his legs and his ability to defend high up the pitch. 

Kanye is in football now?! Fuck me...

8 hours ago, Bill said:

No Steve, I wouldn't say Gomes is playing deeper than Gana. 

Sorry Bill, you’re wrong. Gomes is back between the centre halves while Gana is closing down with the forwards. Gana’s game is more defensive, but he is doing it higher up the pitch. Gomes needs to dictate the play from a deeper position. 

6 hours ago, Palfy said:

Now that's a hard one to judge when Gana doesn't hold a position, I think Gomes is meant to be more forward of the 2 because of his ability to create more when in possession of the ball, but I can understand why there's confusion when Gana follows the ball all over the pitch.

Gomes isn’t meant to be further forward Palfy, he’s meant to be in space to pick the ball up and pass it forward. Gana’s role is now to close down higher up, hence him following the ball more.