IGNORED

Weirdness Abounds (or the Idrissa Gana Gueye Thread)

16 hours ago, StevO said:

I get Sarri’s point. In our team Gomes has been the deeper of the two, with Gana defending from the front. Sarri wants Jorginho playing how we play Gomes. I don’t see why heads are falling off because of it. Kanye just doesn’t suit his system but he’s playing him for his legs and his ability to defend high up the pitch. 

Gana would disagree with you, Steve.

“I have to play a little bit further back this season because Andre is more of a forward player than me. Sometimes I have to control the game and allow him to decide when to go forward and when to stay. But it is a good balance playing with Andre. 

http://www.evertonfc.com/news/2018/11/30/gana

19 hours ago, Palfy said:

Now that's a hard one to judge when Gana doesn't hold a position, I think Gomes is meant to be more forward of the 2 because of his ability to create more when in possession of the ball, but I can understand why there's confusion when Gana follows the ball all over the pitch.

12 hours ago, StevO said:

Sorry Bill, you’re wrong. Gomes is back between the centre halves while Gana is closing down with the forwards. Gana’s game is more defensive, but he is doing it higher up the pitch. Gomes needs to dictate the play from a deeper position. 

It’s a fair debate.  I think Palfy’s several points are spot on — hard to judge, Gana follows ball, so Gomes is meant to move the ball forward.  I see SteveO’s point that Gomes does regularly receive the ball back toward our defenders, but Gomes wants to move the ball by his feet and by his passing toward the opponent’s goal.   Mostly this results in Gomes himself moving forward, even if temporarily he has started toward the back.  Because Gana has free rein to close down all over the pitch, yes, sometimes he is defending pretty high up.  But when Gomes is controlling the ball — his intended role all match long — Gana can’t regularly stay ahead of the ball; he has to fall back as Gomes moves forward.

It’s surely not all one thing or the other.  But Gomes seems more a CM than a DCM, whereas Gana is a very different, even weird (seriously), DCM.

He was terrible today, they completely exploited him but thats him, its going to happen. 

In terms of his position Gana is on average playing deeper that Gomes. In terms of average position in every game he has been deeper however in 2 games they have been very similar. 

Gomes is the one who has more license to break forward and move possession upfield but they are both central midfielders and both have to be able to sit in the hole, press the ball and get forward.

1 hour ago, Aidan said:

Thought he improved slightly in the  second half. But no doubt about it he was poor today. Maybe if he and Coleman were ticking we could have got something out of that game.

He did improve in the second half and halted a few promising attacks from them.

But I have it agree, it wasn’t enough after a terrible first half.

He still was a part of 2 of their best attacks in the 2nd half. One not tracking Mane who ran right past him and then first passing into trouble before then turning into more trouble about 30 yards from goal. 

I am hoping that it will be the worst midfield performance we will see for the rest of this season.

1 hour ago, Bailey said:

He still was a part of 2 of their best attacks in the 2nd half. One not tracking Mane who ran right past him and then first passing into trouble before then turning into more trouble about 30 yards from goal. 

I am hoping that it will be the worst midfield performance we will see for the rest of this season.

I hate to be the bearer of bad news but...

29 minutes ago, Palfy said:

I hate to be the bearer of bad news but...

But what??? No one has said he had a good game, had a poor game so where's the news?

I mean... I'm sure you would like this game to marr all the good work he's done this season but it's not gonna happen.  Enjoy your moment of glory. 

5 hours ago, hafnia said:

But what??? No one has said he had a good game, had a poor game so where's the news?

I mean... I'm sure you would like this game to marr all the good work he's done this season but it's not gonna happen.  Enjoy your moment of glory. 

Doh read Bailey's last comment I apologise for making it hard for you, but just take a minute to think about it and I'm sure it will come to you in the end.

21 minutes ago, Palfy said:

Doh read Bailey's last comment I apologise for making it hard for you, but just take a minute to think about it and I'm sure it will come to you in the end.

That he was involved in 2 of their best attacks in the second half? He was involved in one of their best in the first half when he passed it to mane imo- so what? We've already fuckin said he had a poor game.  We lost because of a keeper fuck up and yet here we are talking about gana when No one has contested he had a bad game.

He had a bad game.... he's had many good games this season.... move on. Ffs

7 minutes ago, pete0 said:

Don't see how Gana played any differently. He gives away a clear chance nearly every game. 

Only difference from that match to any other is Liverpool press high which made it easier for him to hide in midfield. Only midfielder in the world scared of the ball. 

Funny how he seems to intercept it all the time though eh?

50 minutes ago, Matt said:

Funny how he seems to intercept it all the time though eh?

Anyone can run like a headless chicken, you could put out a yorkie terrier to just as 'good'. 

Look where Gana positions himself when we have the ball. School boy stuff is you move a yard forward or backwards to create space to pass past, Gana doesn't and b it makes it 10x harder for everyone around him. 

38 minutes ago, Bill said:

More tackles, more interceptions, and covers more miles than anyone else on the pitch

That just emphasis he runs round a lot out of position. 

He kills the tempo of our forward play, and defensively he's a liability. Often he wins a tackle but the opposition still end up with the ball, he'd be better off staying on his feet and jockeying the opposition forcing them into a mistake. His stats would do down but we'd be better off defensively. 

More tackles does not equal better defence. If anything if you over tackle you are leaving a gap while you're on the deck and creating loose balls that could create a chance. Add to that there's no intelligence or conviction in Gana's, he's just a yappy dog. 

Hahahahaha.... the boys have found their derby consolation prize.....

Not that we played well at anfield and had them well and truly rattled.... but Gana had a bad game.  

Lads, keep your mobiles on... I'm sure if our manager who has transformed our team thinks he needs to know where he's going wrong he will give you a call. 

9 hours ago, hafnia said:

That he was involved in 2 of their best attacks in the second half? He was involved in one of their best in the first half when he passed it to mane imo- so what? We've already fuckin said he had a poor game.  We lost because of a keeper fuck up and yet here we are talking about gana when No one has contested he had a bad game.

He had a bad game.... he's had many good games this season.... move on. Ffs

I’ll spell it out to you Haf I was responding to Baileys comment that he hoped that would be his worst game this season, I responded by saying I hate to be the bearer of bad news but . 

Which means I don’t think it will be his worst game this season, you then start spouting your usual shit and attacking and defending things I never said. 

So in answer to your first question but what??? It was quite simple really I don’t think that will be his worst game this season. 

So no more strawman antics please just so you can make a noise and sound off, l never mentioned anything about his game play in the derby good or bad in that post. 

So stop inventing stories for effect, because I’m rolling round here like the laughing policeman reading your posts to what I said 😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂 thanks for the entertainment anyway mate. 

22 minutes ago, Palfy said:

I’ll spell it out to you Haf I was responding to Baileys comment that he hoped that would be his worst game this season, I responded by saying I hate to be the bearer of bad news but . 

Which means I don’t think it will be his worst game this season, you then start spouting your usual shit and attacking and defending things I never said. 

So in answer to your first question but what??? It was quite simple really I don’t think that will be his worst game this season. 

So no more strawman antics please just so you can make a noise and sound off, l never mentioned anything about his game play in the derby good or bad in that post. 

So stop inventing stories for effect, because I’m rolling round here like the laughing policeman reading your posts to what I said 😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂 thanks for the entertainment anyway mate. 

Maybe you need to work on your post structure... maybe I'm the only one who read it as i know many just skip alot of these posts...but the meaning of your post was ambiguous. 

13 minutes ago, hafnia said:

Maybe you need to work on your post structure... maybe I'm the only one who read it as i know many just skip alot of these posts...but the meaning of your post was ambiguous. 

It was one line, so post structure?! It was clear as day for me what he meant. 

37 minutes ago, hafnia said:

Ok mate maybe I shouldn’t try and be so smart with my posts but where all good, and you are right he was better 2nd half and he made a really important tackle wide on our right, in game time I was the only one who mentioned it but if he hadn’t made they were in, now what a dick that made me feel one of the Ps and the only person to say well done Gana I got a reputation to up hold 👍😀

2 hours ago, Palfy said:

Ok mate maybe I shouldn’t try and be so smart with my posts but where all good, and you are right he was better 2nd half and he made a really important tackle wide on our right, in game time I was the only one who mentioned it but if he hadn’t made they were in, now what a dick that made me feel one of the Ps and the only person to say well done Gana I got a reputation to up hold 👍😀

I didn't point out anything good he done all game.... I actually pointed out he played mane through in second half.

I'm writing it off as a bad game where you had already written him off as a bad player.  That's the issue.