IGNORED

Jordan Pickford

Great point made here in exactly the same vain here by the Villa supporters from something that happened 9 months ago: https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/aston-villa-fans-say-same-19129561 I literally didn't even know this had happened and that's the point right? Absolutely h8 the press and their adoration, total biased view of the dark red side.

I will say I wish VVD a speedy recovery and that this is NOT me slagging off the LFC players (although I could), it's more about the pundits and the TV and the press in general absolutely loving to beast the arse that is this red cabbage. 

"I think the player (Wesley) actually after it all calmed down said 'this is football and this is the way it goes' and there were no questions of anything other and nor should there be.

"It was a simple case really. Arguably one of the country's best referees gives a goal kick and VAR gives nothing.

"It is just a very unfortunate incident, I don't think people would be asking if the outcome wasn't that someone got injured, I think that is the truth of it.

"I think most people in football if there was no injury would be saying 'really good covering, really good defending and it being the honesty of a player doing a good job.'

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.lancs.live/sport/football/football-news/aston-villa-injuries-wesley-mee-17509437.amp

Just googled the Wesley/Mee one and this rings true. 

I've got to say I'm really uncomfortable with the comparison of the Pickford and Son incidents.

Son isn't going for the ball, his whole intention was to kick Gomes because he had an angry head on. He'd gone after Iwobi moments before. He wanted to hurt someone as payback. Now, he didn't mean to dislocate Gomes' ankle. Of course he didn't. But he wasn't making an honest challenge for the ball. Whereas Pickford was doing what all goalkeepers do - he was making himself big to stop VVD scoring. You see it all the time and it's just bad luck that it went wrong for VVD. Pickford could quite easily have been the one on the end of the bad injury because they're both doing the same thing.

2 hours ago, Romey 1878 said:

I've got to say I'm really uncomfortable with the comparison of the Pickford and Son incidents.

Son isn't gonig for the ball, his whole intention was to kick Gomes because he had an angry head on. He'd gone after Iwobi moments before. He wanted to hurt someone as payback. Now, he didn't mean to dislocate Gomes' ankle. Of course he didn't. But he wasn't making an honest challenge for the ball. Whereas Pickford was doing what all goalkeepers do - he was making himself big to stop VVD scoring. You see it all the time and it's just bad luck that it went wrong for VVD. Pickford could quite easily have been the one on the end of the bad injury because they're both doing the same thing.

I think the only comparisons are how the two have been treated differently, it’s clear one was being malicious and the other being just rubbish. But one is vilified and the other mollycoddled. 

1 hour ago, StevO said:

I think the only comparisons are how the two have been treated differently, it’s clear one was being malicious and the other being just rubbish. But one is vilified and the other mollycoddled. 

Nope, some have been saying neither went out to hurt the other player and were both honest challenges. That simply isn't the case.

The reality is that one deliberately set out for retribution (and has form for it) and the other is doing what all goalkeepers do during a game. It's not out of context of the game or situation.

Which makes the differing reactions to the incidents all the more of a piss take, but please don't compare the actual challenges. You're helping the narrative the media want to write by doing that.

Opportunity for Ancellotti to use this to apply a bit of siege mentality to the team and Pickford. 

"You've got these nobheads riled, they don't want you doing well, fuck em.... look after eachother and that's it"

SAF loved stuff like this, used it as a weapon .... Cantona, Beckham, Keane. All got castigated by the press, he showed loyalty and earned their full commitment. 

2 minutes ago, Hafnia said:

Opportunity for Ancellotti to use this to apply a bit of siege mentality to the team and Pickford. 

"You've got these nobheads riled, they don't want you doing well, fuck em.... look after eachother and that's it"

SAF loved stuff like this, used it as a weapon .... Cantona, Beckham, Keane. All got castigated by the press, he showed loyalty and earned their full commitment. 

Spot on.

I was think very much along the same lines. 

I mentioned on Saturday, Pickford can look at satrudays desision as a turning point. If he had been sent off for seriouse foul play, then Olsen would have a four game run to try and take the no. 1 jersey.

Instead the Everton family, including us fan, really get fully behind Pickford, now that the rest of footballing world want to crucify him. 

1 minute ago, RuffRob said:

Spot on.

I was think very much along the same lines. 

I mentioned on Saturday, Pickford can look at satrudays desision as a turning point. If he had been sent off for seriouse foul play, then Olsen would have a four game run to try and take the no. 1 jersey.

Instead the Everton family, including us fan, really get fully behind Pickford, now that the rest of footballing world want to crucify him. 

Don't get me wrong.... My concerns as to how the last minute goal went in hasn't gone.  His impulsivity is a big concern, the moments that he has are mind boggling 

Made an outstanding save but should have thrown his cap on Hendersons.   But ......

Not the time for all that at the moment.  He's being bullied by the press and has a young family and is getting threats etc.  Outrageous.  

23 hours ago, markjazzbassist said:

Gonna be honest as an American I didn’t see as much of the bias. But after this incident it’s clear it’s us against the world.  Thankfully we have a great squad manager and owner so I think we are well positioned.  But this has really opened my eyes.  I hope the lads enjoy their backs against the wall and use it to motivate them.  COYB

Here in the US, we see Reds mocking Blues all the time, through the presidency. But yes, Reds mock Blues in Britain, too.

3 hours ago, Romey 1878 said:

Nope, some have been saying neither went out to hurt the other player and were both honest challenges. That simply isn't the case.

The reality is that one deliberately set out for retribution (and has form for it) and the other is doing what all goalkeepers do during a game. It's not out of context of the game or situation.

Which makes the differing reactions to the incidents all the more of a piss take, but please don't compare the actual challenges. You're helping the narrative the media want to write by doing that.

Oh, I’ve not seen them comparisons. That’s bollocks, not the same intent at all. 

7 hours ago, c1982 said:

Thought this myself when I saw it on SSN earlier.

That changes my perspective on it. I’m not happy VVD got injured but he squares that they score.

If someone is through 1v1 and Pickford makes him self big gets a toe on the ball and saves it but in the process goes through the man - I have no issue with that. 

Unfortunate that VVD got injured but look up his challenge on mertens last year for a good reference on winning the ball but following through. 

7 hours ago, pete0 said:

He got a good hand on it. The spin took the ball in, there was that much spin on it that the ball looped 6ft in the air first. Ridiculous to blame him for not stopping that.

Should have saved it.  Henderson barely got a full boot on it and hit across the ball.  The issue was the angle of the hand  - it was a ramp.

He made a top class save earlier and my point is a keeper who makes saves of that quality should not be making the fundamental errors he does.

That's the last I'm speaking of that, it's been and done. The goal was chalked off, he knew he should have done better based on his reaction.  We move on. 

8 minutes ago, Hafnia said:

Should have saved it.  Henderson barely got a full boot on it and hit across the ball.  The issue was the angle of the hand  - it was a ramp.

Green also made reference to this saying Mina unsighted him and his dive was for a good connection so he actually dived past it due to Henderson scuffing it.

25 minutes ago, Hafnia said:

He made a top class save earlier and my point is a keeper who makes saves of that quality should not be making the fundamental errors he does.

That's the last I'm speaking of that, it's been and done. The goal was chalked off, he knew he should have done better based on his reaction.  We move on. 

What was the error? He got a good connection on it, just the spin on the ball takes it in. 

Probably the same reaction we all had before it was ruled out! 

In all seriousness I had a tackle 18 years ago playing as a ringer in the west Cheshire Prem.... The ref knew me from the gym and he worked for Everton.

15 minutes in a ball went between me and one of their players.... He took off 2 footed expecting me to shit out.  I was still pissed from the night before and went in higher than him ..... He went over the ball, I went over his feet...... Crunch.  

20 man brawl . .... I got a yellow card, player was carried off. The next 75 minutes was madness. 

I never got walked cos he gave me no other choice.  Lesson is, don't throw big challenges in if you can't accept consequences.

VVD likes to play the alpha male and he realises that others can do that. 

We all know he is a total w@nker but enough this is enough now!? This BS statement was made last night, LIVE on a prime time sports network and IS therefore libellous defamation, as it meets this criteria 'defamation is said to have occurred simply when a statement is made that lowers somebody’s opinion of your business or damages it as a result of hearing it'. ENOUGH IS ENOUGH MAN!!!