IGNORED

Jordan Pickford

4 hours ago, Romey 1878 said:

smart move carlo, "i said the point is fine if we win on saturday, the focus is on saturday now".  great way to pivot and move on and he's right, if we beat newcastle it's 4 points in 2 games which is what most were realistically saying would be a good haul from these 2.  

15 hours ago, Romey 1878 said:

Neither one should be our number 1, and Olsen isn't signing for us permanently to be a number 2. 

I'm so disappointed in Pickford tonight. He played really well apart from those couple of minutes and it's cost us, badly. He didn't need to push it out for the original corner in the first place and then compounded that error by having a weak wrist.

For fucks sake, wank more.

How many of these errors are shots from outside the box? Ridiculous number to be conceding, all very well being able to throw out a leg and block one from 8 yards...  A lot of matches may be like last night where you restrict a team to shoot from outside the box and his inability to deal with them means he shafts a great defensive performance

4 hours ago, Cornish Steve said:

Just to be clear: The problem is not that he made a mistake that cost us two points. That's going to happen to the best of goalkeepers from time to time. The issue is that it's part of a pattern, to the point where we almost come to expect it.

He's dropped 2 points all season. No keeper is flawless, I'd even go as far to you'd be hard pressed to find a keeper who makes less mistakes. Pickford's are highlighted just as Yobo's were back in the day.

Schmiechel against us this season was worse than any performance this season from Pickford. Allison gave Burnley the game last week. City's keeper has been lucky their defense has been solid as he's got a mistake in him. De Gea 4 years ago was the best yet can be laughable at times now. Point is no keeper is perfect and ours is far from the worse.

As much as I’m upset he let that one in, can anyone name a keeper in the league who hasn’t made mistakes leading to goals? A few keepers have made mistakes against us too. 
Does anyone know a keeper who not only doesn’t make mistakes but would be willing to sign for Everton? I know that’s a bit simplistic, but if there are keepers who are that good out there they are going to the top. 

Id still play him on Saturday, then give him the game after that off. 

19 minutes ago, StevO said:

As much as I’m upset he let that one in, can anyone name a keeper in the league who hasn’t made mistakes leading to goals? A few keepers have made mistakes against us too. 
Does anyone know a keeper who not only doesn’t make mistakes but would be willing to sign for Everton? I know that’s a bit simplistic, but if there are keepers who are that good out there they are going to the top. 

Id still play him on Saturday, then give him the game after that off. 

Neville Southall. Might need a time machine and a diet sheet, but that could happen.

18 hours ago, RuffRob said:

The thing is with Pickford, I think he is now just an OK keeper, nothing special. I Think he is doing well to keep his England No. 1 position, with a bit of a bias to historical performances in a England shirt. 

He came here as a promising young keeper, but unfortunatley he doesn't seem to have kicked on to foreflil the potential we all hoped. I don't think he is a keeper for a team who have top 4 aspiration. 

If he played for a different team, would anybody be saying - "we should go out and try and buy Pickford"? 

Yes I would, no problem with that I hope, from watching a hell of a lot of football this season and team’s I normally wouldn’t, I can honestly say I have seen plenty of mistakes from keepers of all team’s, even those playing for the top 4, he’s cost us 2 points this season and saved us 7-8 more than that, not bad in my opinion and obviously the manager’s because he’s not condemning him quite the contrary, he’s not even defending him because there’s nothing to defend in Ancelotti’s eyes, unless of course he’s a good liar and I haven’t heard from anyone who’s worked with him past or present day say he’s a liar 🤥 

IF we get into Champions, or even Europa, I'd hope we'd be doing everything possible to get Donnarumma or Onana (or keepers of a similar ilk) in. Both would be massive upgrades on Pickford. 

I know there's the thought that he hasn't cost us many points, but he's also lucky that we've scored enough to hide a few of his errors and not drop points because of them. I really have no confidence in him when a ball is swung into the box. He seems to get beat at his near post a lot too. 

I agree there aren't many better keepers in the league, but I also don't see him as a top 4 keeper.

• 2 weeks later...

Alphonse Areola is a keeper I have been quite impressed with from what I have seen of him. They may be some of you have seen more and have a better knowledge than me and be able to tell me I am taking out of my arse. 

He's a big bloke and has played for some decent clubs - Not sure how Fulham got him on loan with a option to buy to be honest. Only 27 years old so plenty of years left in him - starting to come in to his prime. 

I Fulham get relegated (which I think they will) then I am not sure he would be wanting to stay, or if they would want to purchase him and pay his wages. 

Anyway, he is a player who might be up for a move in the summer, Prem and big team experience and a decent age. Most likely affordable and he may well fancy his chances of coming here and battling it out with Pickford to be our No.1. 

I think he has the potential to probably be better than what we have got at the club now. 

Anyway, we will get a chance to see him a bit closer at the weekend. 

24 minutes ago, RuffRob said:

Alphonse Areola is a keeper I have been quite impressed with from what I have seen of him. They may be some of you have seen more and have a better knowledge than me and be able to tell me I am taking out of my arse. 

He's a big bloke and has played for some decent clubs - Not sure how Fulham got him on loan with a option to buy to be honest. Only 27 years old so plenty of years left in him - starting to come in to his prime. 

I Fulham get relegated (which I think they will) then I am not sure he would be wanting to stay, or if they would want to purchase him and pay his wages. 

Anyway, he is a player who might be up for a move in the summer, Prem and big team experience and a decent age. Most likely affordable and he may well fancy his chances of coming here and battling it out with Pickford to be our No.1. 

I think he has the potential to probably be better than what we have got at the club now. 

Anyway, we will get a chance to see him a bit closer at the weekend. 

Yeah not sure how they got him but good call, came through the PSG academy and is on loan from them.  Would be interesting to see what our keepers @Bailey and @Zoo 2.0 think of him

36 minutes ago, Zoo 2.0 said:

Areola had a lot of promise in France but when he should have had the undisputed number one spot PSG brought in Buffon who took minutes away from him. They (PSG) then decided to bring in Keylor Navas (who was told to leave Real Madrid due to them bringing in Courtois) and Areola was used as a makeweight to that deal, moving on loan to be number 2 at Real Madrid as opposed to number 2 in Paris.

Basically, he seems to have been shafted at a key point in his career, could have been great but didn't get the chance to really shine.

Before becoming number one at Paris he was on loan at Villarreal and holds the record there for the most amount of games without conceding (something like 500-600mins without letting anything past him), which at a club like that is impressive.

I'll be honest I've not really paid too much attention to him at Fulham, but could be a shrewd signing. 

Played for Everton Youth, alongside trial spells at Manchester City and Wigan Athletic - was taking coaching badges which have been temporarily put on hold due to the pandemic. Didn't make it to PSG unfortunately.

I never knew that mate, great achievement to be mixing in them circles, good luck with your badges. 

Sounds like he could very well be a level up from Pickford. If Fulham have an option to buy this summer, then he is obviousely available. Read that he is on decent money - £120k a week. PSG didn't want to pay that for a no. 2 keeper, so Fulham paying paying part of his wages as a loan. So not much chance he would follow Fulham in to the Championship. 

I think if you are buying a keeper at 27 years old - then it's an investment for 10 years or more if you are lucky. If player prices are a bit deflated at the moment (they will ramp up again!!), then maybe not a bad time to invest if the opportunity is there. Might be a good summer to bring in a better keeper - Ancelotti and Brands will know this is an area of the squad that can be improved. 

• 2 weeks later...

Don't get me wrong, I'm pleased he was in tonight because I think he's a better option than Olsen but, like I've said, there's not a whole lot between them. Tonight, he played really well for the most part - he made some good saves and commanded his area better, but then let himself down for the third goal.

We need to send Olsen back to Roma, and we need to go big for a quality goalkeeper. Easy :lol:.

7 minutes ago, Romey 1878 said:

Don't get me wrong, I'm pleased he was in tonight because I think he's a better option than Olsen but, like I've said, there's not a whole lot between them. Tonight, he played really well for the most part - he made some good saves and commanded his area better, but then let himself down for the third goal.

We need to send Olsen back to Roma, and we need to go big for a quality goalkeeper. Easy :lol:.

Agreed.  Either keeper isn't good enough.  Pickford may be slightly ahead but I think that points at pickford being a number 2 which he won't settle for. 

Maybe sell Pickford for £15-£20m and get olsen for cheaper. 

4 minutes ago, Hafnia said:

Agreed.  Either keeper isn't good enough.  Pickford may be slightly ahead but I think that points at pickford being a number 2 which he won't settle for. 

I don't think Olsen is happy to settle for being a number 2 either, but he's worse than Pickford so they both need to go.

On 17/02/2021 at 23:12, Hafnia said:

We’d still get £30-35m just because of his age and that he’s England’s number one