IGNORED

Wayne Rooney

A year loan with half his wages paid I'd be happy with that, he has a lot to play for with the WC looming and coming back will likely give him that edge again

When you think of the experience the lad has and with the extra games we could do far worse

I've a horrible feeling this will turn out to be a bit of an embarrassment for all parties.

Hoping that's not the case though.

I don't think it will. I don't think anyone is under the illusion that we're getting the Rooney of a decade ago. He will most likely come in, score a few goals here or there, be a great commercial booster for the club, be an experienced and respected head for young players to learn from, and start to heal over some old wounds amongst the fans. Edited by JoeQuince

I don't think it will. I don't think anyone is under the illusion that we're getting the Rooney of a decade ago. He will most likely come in, score a few goals here or there, be a great commercial booster for the club, be an experienced and respected head for young players to learn from, and start to heal over some old wounds amongst the fans.

This

Mucked up my quote... in regards to Sandro, Rooney and Giroud potentially replacing Rom.

I wouldn't be happy.

Sandro can't play every game, and history suggests many players take a season to adapt to the prem.

If we are playing with Giroud and Rooney as our best strikers next season for any of the above reasons, we will not be finishing in the champions league places.

Loan deal for Rooney sounds ideal for 1 season, but we need another quality striker if Rom leaves. Not a French Peter Crouch.

Edited by DavisJD

If Sandro, Giroud and Rooney replace Rom I'll be happy.

But each player must be considered on their own merits. No matter how much the Reds subsidize Rooney, if it's 6 digits a week it's way too much. Giroud is a major step back from Rom. Forget the money; think of what each player brings and is their fee worth it.

Having thought about it there a quite a few positives:

1) Loan for a year so not saddled with him if he fails.

2) Half his wages paid by Utd.

3) Will have a point to prove to Utd, Everton fans, and England manager so he will be motivated.

4) Still has a great range of passing and can create chances.

5) Will be a great role model (footballing not personal).

6) Great option to have considering we will be competing on numerous fronts this season.

I think a loan deal is ideal. No fee and raises the club profile. Rooney is still a good premier league footballer who has a lot to stick up to a few people. He will have his fire back and will not look out of place in any position in the front four. Sandro, him, davvey,kev,bollasie,lookman and whomever else we sign. Looks very nice

Why would utd loan him out though, I don't understand? Obviously they will save on half his wages, but if they feel he's not good enough for them anymore then surely they'd be better off selling him?

Possibly because the clubs offering to buy aren't clubs he would consider going to and United would rather get the wages (or a big chunk of them) off the books so they can keep rebuilding. Possibly because they would also want to do good by him for being such a big part of their success over the past decade or so.