IGNORED

David Unsworth

11 hours ago, Cornish Steve said:

I'm secretly hoping Crooked Sam is fired soon and Unsworth gets the chance to finish out our season.

I think you would sooner give the job to Speedo Mick based on the fact that he's a good guy. 

I would guess 70% of managers have had backhanders. One way or another it happens. 

45 minutes ago, duncanmckenzieismagic said:

Not a lot to be cheerful about at the moment when it comes to Everton but the thought of giving Unsy another go any time soon is a very depressing scenario indeed

Dunc, do you not see how great it will be? Yeah, we'll be in League Two playing the likes Cheltenham and Forest Green Rovers, but we'll be managed by someone who says "we" and not "Everton", someone who gets us, one of us....I'm sure at that level of competition, we can fill the entire starting 11 from our academy who will put it all out for the 5,000 capacity crowd at Prenton Park for the big derby! Then, after we smash Tranmere, we can go fight their fans in the carpark afterwords, because we're Evertonians and we're hard.

:beer::lol:

13 hours ago, hafnia said:

I think you would sooner give the job to Speedo Mick based on the fact that he's a good guy. 

I would guess 70% of managers have had backhanders. One way or another it happens. 

I'm surprised how naive people think I am (well, not really!). I'm not suggesting at all that we should hire a manager just because they are a nice guy. Not at all, although cultural fit is important. (We're experiencing right now the trauma when the fit is not there.)

Unsworth is a leader. In the Allardyce thread, I mentioned the importance of the manager being a leader: encouraging, inspiring, cajoling, etc. You saw this in those few games when Unsworth was in charge. The players wanted to win not just for themselves but for him. He was one with the team, unlike Koeman or Allardyce.

You see the importance of leadership at other teams. We have much better players than Bournemouth, but they are above us in the table because Howe is a leader. We have better players than Burnley, but they are above us because Dyche is a leader. It takes time to make progress, yes, and this is something Unsworth was not given. You also need commitment from the club, and he didn't have that either.

And let me address one other point. I keep hearing that Unsworth has no relevant experience, that he needs to learn the trade through teams like Oxford. This is nonsense! He's demonstrated leadership with the U23s and been very successful. One look at how the younger players performed when he was interim manager reveals that. His experience there is very relevant. Plenty of successful managers shoot straight to the top because of their ability: You don't need to spend years in the lower leagues.

Plus, the team did improve under Unsworth. You can't just look at the stats in his case, because it was clear he was told not to focus on the pointless Europa games or cup games. His focus was the league, and the players really played for him in those games. I was surprised he kept Schneiderlin in the team, but I suspect he worked within ground rules set by others (I'm guessing, yes, but I don't believe he had total freedom in team selection).

So, I'm sticking with my opinion that he should be given the opportunity to take over from Crooked Sam. Maybe it's why he didn't move to Oxford: Time will tell.

I'm surprised how naive people think I am (well, not really!). I'm not suggesting at all that we should hire a manager just because they are a nice guy. Not at all, although cultural fit is important. (We're experiencing right now the trauma when the fit is not there.)
Unsworth is a leader. In the Allardyce thread, I mentioned the importance of the manager being a leader: encouraging, inspiring, cajoling, etc. You saw this in those few games when Unsworth was in charge. The players wanted to win not just for themselves but for him. He was one with the team, unlike Koeman or Allardyce.
You see the importance of leadership at other teams. We have much better players than Bournemouth, but they are above us in the table because Howe is a leader. We have better players than Burnley, but they are above us because Dyche is a leader. It takes time to make progress, yes, and this is something Unsworth was not given. You also need commitment from the club, and he didn't have that either.
And let me address one other point. I keep hearing that Unsworth has no relevant experience, that he needs to learn the trade through teams like Oxford. This is nonsense! He's demonstrated leadership with the U23s and been very successful. One look at how the younger players performed when he was interim manager reveals that. His experience there is very relevant. Plenty of successful managers shoot straight to the top because of their ability: You don't need to spend years in the lower leagues.
Plus, the team did improve under Unsworth. You can't just look at the stats in his case, because it was clear he was told not to focus on the pointless Europa games or cup games. His focus was the league, and the players really played for him in those games. I was surprised he kept Schneiderlin in the team, but I suspect he worked within ground rules set by others (I'm guessing, yes, but I don't believe he had total freedom in team selection).
So, I'm sticking with my opinion that he should be given the opportunity to take over from Crooked Sam. Maybe it's why he didn't move to Oxford: Time will tell.

Serious question ... did you watch any of the games Unsworth was in charge of as Everton manager?

The problem is Steve it’s another virus on TT. Most fans cling to common words.. coco the clown, nice guy, rolls Royce, headless chicken, school yard bully and so on. Once it’s on there heads it becomes reality. I know it doesn’t make me popular to say this, but you can predict when a lot of posters will pop up. Mostly it’s opportunitys to price a point, even if it’s negative for the team. 

Anyone that rates Unsworth must therefore only rate him because he is a nice guy!

In the barren spell that Unsy had you just need to look at the performances of the younger players he introduced, Holgate, Jonjoe, Bennie, Davies, DCL. If you look back to his games these players all got Motm ratings, its the experienced players who let the team down, and they still are.

If Unsy had been given the time and the backing he would had them playing much better football by now and a few more points on the board.

Surely anybody would have been better than the moron we have now.

We know Unsworth can lead the youngsters, he has shown that in his time at the U23s and again when he’s been in charge of the first team. 

The problem when he was in the first team was that he couldn’t lead the senior players. 

I’m not sure he would want to take temporary charge for a third time after being over looked for the position twice. If he got over looked a third time would other clubs not start asking why? Could be bad for his reputation. 

1 hour ago, StevO said:

We know Unsworth can lead the youngsters, he has shown that in his time at the U23s and again when he’s been in charge of the first team. 

The problem when he was in the first team was that he couldn’t lead the senior players. 

I’m not sure he would want to take temporary charge for a third time after being over looked for the position twice. If he got over looked a third time would other clubs not start asking why? Could be bad for his reputation. 

It seems no one can lead the senior players though, so surely the judgement is on them rather than Unsworth? Even a highly regarded explayer/promisingly manager and a supposed hardnosed, no-nonsense manager haven’t succeeded in that with a lot more backing than Unsworth had

3 hours ago, Shukes said:

The problem is Steve it’s another virus on TT. Most fans cling to common words.. coco the clown, nice guy, rolls Royce, headless chicken, school yard bully and so on. Once it’s on there heads it becomes reality. I know it doesn’t make me popular to say this, but you can predict when a lot of posters will pop up. Mostly it’s opportunitys to price a point, even if it’s negative for the team. 

Anyone that rates Unsworth must therefore only rate him because he is a nice guy!

Absolutely bang on. I'm not sure the people who use the phrase 'Rolls Royce', in relation to Morgan Schneiderlin even realise what absolute bollocks they are spouting. 

As for Unsworth... Never lost a home league game as Everton manager. So let's give credit where credit is due, he was better than the other two arse wipes we've had in charge this season. 

3 hours ago, Matt said:

It seems no one can lead the senior players though, so surely the judgement is on them rather than Unsworth? Even a highly regarded explayer/promisingly manager and a supposed hardnosed, no-nonsense manager haven’t succeeded in that with a lot more backing than Unsworth had

This for me. Sam is supposed to get the players in line, huh? Looks like a joke at the moment.

Don't worry, Dunc. Allardyce will be the one to take us down at this rate, and the club and a bunch of its supporters will have sold their ethics and souls to do so

I don’t want Allardyce either but at the time we were in serious trouble and he was probably the most qualified man on the planet for the job, so even though I didn’t want him I could see the reasoning behind it

I don’t believe that equates to selling my soul though

26 minutes ago, duncanmckenzieismagic said:

I don’t want Allardyce either but at the time we were in serious trouble and he was probably the most qualified man on the planet for the job,

Nah, I can't buy that.

Decades ago my dad was booked on a transatlantic flight with a colleague with an airline that tagged itself as the guys who'd never had a crash, the guy refused to get on it because he said statistically it had to happen sometime. Allardyce is an accident waiting to happen.

Nah, I can't buy that.
Decades ago my dad was booked on a transatlantic flight with a colleague with an airline that tagged itself as the guys who'd never had a crash, the guy refused to get on it because he said statistically it had to happen sometime. Allardyce is an accident waiting to happen.

Ha ha I think your dads mate has got some issues , but do you agree nobody else had a better track record for getting clubs out of the shit?

4 minutes ago, duncanmckenzieismagic said:

Ha ha I think your dads mate has got some issues , but do you agree nobody else had a better track record for getting clubs out of the shit?

He's got that badge but it's largely luck imo, if we keep playing at the level he's got us at at the moment we'll go down. Have you seen us worse?