IGNORED

James Tarkowski

36 minutes ago, Romey 1878 said:

I fear he'll be a bit of a dud like Ashley Williams but he can head the ball and we need to spend serious money on the midfield, so it is what it is.

There is a risk with that in any player. I don’t think tarkowski has ever had pace whereas Williams did and he lost it. 

10 minutes ago, Hafnia said:

There is a risk with that in any player. I don’t think tarkowski has ever had pace whereas Williams did and he lost it. 

I just don't think he's very good tbh and find it a bit surprising he's the sort of player we're going after. Makes me wonder if we're just going to carry on not wanting much of the ball next season as well and stick with the awful 3 (5 in reality) at the back.

But I'll wait to actually be arsed until the window closes and I see the make up of the side.

24 minutes ago, Romey 1878 said:

I just don't think he's very good tbh and find it a bit surprising he's the sort of player we're going after. Makes me wonder if we're just going to carry on not wanting much of the ball next season as well and stick with the awful 3 (5 in reality) at the back.

But I'll wait to actually be arsed until the window closes and I see the make up of the side.

https://lchunhang.medium.com/player-analysis-james-tarkowski-englands-most-overlooked-defender-a61aa5b1d030

Good read, probably a better passer than credited for. 

9 minutes ago, Hafnia said:

Lets see, eh? I just don't see it as a progressive signing to get us playing decent football, especially if it means we keep the ultra-defensive shape we've employed at the end of this season. But if we make the necessary midfield signings then it won't be so bad.

By the way, I'm not expecting us to be challenging for European football or anything. I just want us to be comfortably midtable. So it's not like I'm turning my nose up at him because I have high expectations, I just don't think he's all that.

But, again, if not spending a transfer fee on him means we can do what we need to do with our midfield then I'll cope. Which is why I'll not get too down on it for now.

1 hour ago, Romey 1878 said:

Lets see, eh? I just don't see it as a progressive signing to get us playing decent football, especially if it means we keep the ultra-defensive shape we've employed at the end of this season. But if we make the necessary midfield signings then it won't be so bad.

By the way, I'm not expecting us to be challenging for European football or anything. I just want us to be comfortably midtable. So it's not like I'm turning my nose up at him because I have high expectations, I just don't think he's all that.

But, again, if not spending a transfer fee on him means we can do what we need to do with our midfield then I'll cope. Which is why I'll not get too down on it for now.

We need players who represent excellent value who would improve us.  I think he does both.  

we could sell Mina for £25m and get him for free.  Both aerially dominant and good leaders. 

Wages seem high, but he’s a seasoned premier league player who attacks the ball.
We’ve paid that kind of wages on multiple players in recent years without the same CV and it’s the going rate nowadays.
Every transfers a risk, but I’d take him 

Pair with Godrey (pace) and would be decent. 
Holgate / Branthwaite back ups. 

Sell Mina to someone else’s physio department 

I am not saying he is not going to improve us -  I am playing devils advocate a little, with the point being bringing in older players and paying big wages is potentially at the expense of developing to young players by giving them prolonged and proper game time. Yes, there may be more errors from young players to begin with, but people learn from errors and that's how they develop. 

There is nothing clever about out bidding rival clubs on how much wages we will pay the highest profile free transfer premier league defender. No disrespect, but every single one of us can come up with this idea. He's quite good and free, chuck loads of money at him.

Is Tarkowski a world class defender? not really,  so does paying world class defender wages just send the right message to those already in the squad and to those potentially coming to the club.

it is highly likely that Newcastle will also fancy him - is going toe to toe in who will pay the biggest wages right now a good idea as a transfer strategy. I would have to say at this moment in time Newcastle is an attractive destination for players - how do you sell Everton (or most other clubs) over them this summer. Need this management team to somehow he a bit cleverer and creative in the transfer market. 

If Tarkowski comes to us on big money - what is really inspiring him to most likely be finish off his career with us? We have had player come before where Everton is always going to be their 'ceiling' club. This is my biggest concern, as it will be at an expense of young players development. I am just weary of this type of transfer.

A free transfer for somebody like a 22 year old Eddie Nketiah is a totally different kettle of fish. He is desperate for first team football in order to play and prove himself.

1 hour ago, Hafnia said:

We need players who represent excellent value who would improve us.  I think he does both.  

we could sell Mina for £25m and get him for free.  Both aerially dominant and good leaders. 

We'll be lucky to get £10m for Mina, let's be honest.

Not sure he'll be excellent value if the wage offer is true. Think it'll show we've learnt absolutely nothing on that score.

If he comes then so be it but I'll be hoping we'll go on to make some signings to actually improve us off the back of settling for a free defender.

20 minutes ago, Romey 1878 said:

Not sure he'll be excellent value if the wage offer is true. Think it'll show we've learnt absolutely nothing on that score.

exactly this, massive wages to an 'OK' player in on his last major contract, who's only real reason to come will be because we are going to pay him the most money. Might make us slightly better defensively for a couple of seasons. Its not the particular player that would bother me - its the very short term thinking behind it and much like what has gone before.  I simply find signings like Godfrey,  Patterson and Mikolenko far more inspiring

I'm not a fan of this transfer, even on a free. I think he's a solid enough defender, but his lack of pace is a serious concern. We have to have one of the slowest teams in the league as it is. I don't think buying a player solely on set piece defending is a good idea, even if we are terrible at them. I don't think he'd be horrible though. I just worry it's not what we need exactly. 

We could probably do with 2 CBs this summer.  If Tarkowski was one it would not be so bad.  Should be looking to do a shorter contract with older players.  Enough of automatic 4 to 5 year deals.  Why not 2 with the possibility of renewal for three based on benchmarks if they need convincing?  If Mina is sold and we replace with Tarkowski he will be on less wages and play more games.  That is fact.  Then bring in a second CB.  Loan Braithwaite as I can't see him being a starter for us and he needs starting minutes or won't develop.  Without development, he does not break into our team or command a fee.  Blame this on poor pathways for our youth and holding onto players for far too long.  Can't believe the new massively long contract we handed Holgate after not really doing anything to deserve it.  Can't see anyone in for Keane or Holgate but would consider selling there too.  They have deals until 2025 which is a serious commitment.

Hopefully we are shrewd this summer.  Not only do we need to find the right players who improve us but their contracts need to make sense.  If a deal doesn't fit then move on.  Balance in the squad and in the books will help us more in the long run than a gamble on one player.  Turnover is natural and our contract lengths do not support that but rather make us a retirement community instead.

Loving the speculation on lengths of contracts, “world class wages” at a reported £90k per week (less than plenty of our current players are getting), who we are competing with for signatures and all the other details we’re guessing at. The seasons only been over a couple of days. 😂

Bloody transfer windows!

8 minutes ago, StevO said:

Loving the speculation on lengths of contracts, “world class wages” at a reported £90k per week (less than plenty of our current players are getting), who we are competing with for signatures and all the other details we’re guessing at. The seasons only been over a couple of days. 😂

Bloody transfer windows!

Fuck you, Steve. 

On 24/05/2022 at 11:01, Sibdane said:

I'm not a fan of this transfer, even on a free. I think he's a solid enough defender, but his lack of pace is a serious concern. We have to have one of the slowest teams in the league as it is. I don't think buying a player solely on set piece defending is a good idea, even if we are terrible at them. I don't think he'd be horrible though. I just worry it's not what we need exactly. 

I’m not sure why people think we are so slow. Richie, Gray, DCL, Gordon all pacy up top. Godfrey is maybe the fastest guy in the team. Holgate is fast. Myko and Patterson are plenty quick enough. I imagine people are referring to our midfield. Iwobi and Doucoure are bigger guys so they can seem plodding but I wouldn’t say either is slow. The only truly slow guys are Allan and Coleman now due to age and I’d expect them to feature less going forward. Our problem is more to do with quality than quickness. We waste a lot of good opportunities because we have basically 0 good finishers. Our best finisher among the starting 11 is Richie and he still makes the wrong decision quite a lot. Our issues are that finishing and defending set pieces terribly. We make even a small improvement in those areas and even this current team is comfortably mid table. 

15 hours ago, SpartyBlue said:

I’m not sure why people think we are so slow. Richie, Gray, DCL, Gordon all pacy up top. Godfrey is maybe the fastest guy in the team. Holgate is fast. Myko and Patterson are plenty quick enough. I imagine people are referring to our midfield. Iwobi and Doucoure are bigger guys so they can seem plodding but I wouldn’t say either is slow. The only truly slow guys are Allan and Coleman now due to age and I’d expect them to feature less going forward. Our problem is more to do with quality than quickness. We waste a lot of good opportunities because we have basically 0 good finishers. Our best finisher among the starting 11 is Richie and he still makes the wrong decision quite a lot. Our issues are that finishing and defending set pieces terribly. We make even a small improvement in those areas and even this current team is comfortably mid table. 

Keane and Mina are proper rapid so I’m glad you left them out….

2 hours ago, Gwlad all over said:

Villa have the funds to chuck money at players. The more I think about Tarkowski the more I think we shouldn't sign older players, even for free.

He’s not that old really. He’s not 30 yet. 
If on that basis we should never have sign Gareth Barry, and he was excellent. Or Richard Gough, what a player!

But then we signed Gazza and Ginola too. 

Each player needs to be taken into consideration on their own merits. Buying older players who are clearly finished I get why we shouldn’t, but bringing in a stable and experienced premier league player offers little risk.

Bringing in young exciting talent is great, but comes with much bigger risk. After the last season I’d like a bit less risk and more reliability. 

Everything says that our strategy is to focus on younger players, and Tarkowski does not fit that profile. There's absolutely no need to rush and certainly no value in making this a public spectacle. IMO, we should sign younger players, out of the public eye, consistent with what we did with Patterson and Mykolenko. Let the media speculate all they like; it's a nice distraction.

27 minutes ago, Cornish Steve said:

Everything says that our strategy is to focus on younger players, and Tarkowski does not fit that profile. There's absolutely no need to rush and certainly no value in making this a public spectacle. IMO, we should sign younger players, out of the public eye, consistent with what we did with Patterson and Mykolenko. Let the media speculate all they like; it's a nice distraction.

Strategy? What strategy are you referring to?