IGNORED

James Tarkowski

1 hour ago, Formby said:

So, we're playing Monopoly?! Tarkowski is a Northumberland Avenue type player at best. VVD more Regent Street. I would take VVD at 30 if he was available.

Tarkowski at 29, meh, I would rather look for someone else.

Are you restricting me to free transfers of can we sell to buy?

If Frank rates Tarkowski and he comes through the door, both would have my full support. I hope Tarkowski (and you) make me see sense. Richard Gough was about 90 when he joined and he was good! 

VVD is on 11m a year and a year older that’s 33m and he cost 75m you can’t even think James T is a bad deal your looking at 18m over 3 yrs that’s tops

20 hours ago, Hafnia said:

The fact 2 Burnley centre halves feature doesn’t conclude anything other than the fact that they are strong in the air.   Why would Burnley and their style of play result in centre halves winning loads of duels? The fact that Burnley never got relegated despite never having players score many goals maybe suggests they were defensively solid no? 

you are looking for a commonality which suggests that it’s down to his the team plays. VVD being up there blows that out the water imo. The only thing to deduce is that they are strong in the air, coincidentally Michael Keane is up there in that department and we can attest to him being strong in the air (unless he’s not doing a static jump or jumping backwards). 

falling out with rudiger isn’t a bad thing, he paired silva and zouma when playing a back 4 and rudiger sulked and caused problems .  By all accounts he had clashed with azpiliqueta, many Chelsea fans say he can’t play back 4. 

you always do this shite when we are buying a player you’ve made judgement on with little evidence. No doubt if we do sign him you will go full Godfrey and mykolenko and explain why nearly every goal conceded was down to their errors. 

@SpartyBlue has done a lot of the heavy lifting in this response so thank you.

I think you are missing the point somewhat. 

Defensive teams tend to have players that lead in the defensive stats. When you look at a lot of the players that fall into these top positions, you see a lot of yard dogs and few quality players. VVD is an outlier and probably has a lot to do with how good he is than any thing else. Generally you see more of the Hanleys, Jansens, Dawsons (average defenders for defensive sides) etc at the top of these lists than you quality all round defenders. Stats are all well and good as long as you use them with context. 

I like to think I haven't been that wrong. Towsend a highlights player that isnt quick, Gray ultimately excellent for price but makes tonnes of poor decisions, Patterson not ready for the league yet, Mykolenko still has some big doubts going forward and defensively and will take time to settle. Rondon lost his edge playing in China. Your comments at end of that paragraph are very much the pot calling the kettle black. Every goal was Pickfords fault for a couple of seasons and before that it was because Lukaku couldnt control the ball.

I am not saying Tarkowski will not do well here but IMO that is more dependent on how we play than anything else. If want to sit back like we did at the end of the season, then I think he will do very well. If we want to play on the front foot and leave him a lot more isolated, I have big concerns. He might be up for it, but he hasn't played that way for years and I would have major doubts how he would adapt. 

4 hours ago, Formby said:

Well, it's only (may) fair I give him a Chance. I don't want to be sent to Coventry (Street). 😬

Does he stand a chance of second prize in a beauty cont….. ffs I’m not going there. 

ah just seen the reply above. First place goes to dcl of course. 

3 hours ago, Bailey said:

@SpartyBlue has done a lot of the heavy lifting in this response so thank you.

I think you are missing the point somewhat. 

Defensive teams tend to have players that lead in the defensive stats. When you look at a lot of the players that fall into these top positions, you see a lot of yard dogs and few quality players. VVD is an outlier and probably has a lot to do with how good he is than any thing else. Generally you see more of the Hanleys, Jansens, Dawsons (average defenders for defensive sides) etc at the top of these lists than you quality all round defenders. Stats are all well and good as long as you use them with context. 

I like to think I haven't been that wrong. Towsend a highlights player that isnt quick, Gray ultimately excellent for price but makes tonnes of poor decisions, Patterson not ready for the league yet, Mykolenko still has some big doubts going forward and defensively and will take time to settle. Rondon lost his edge playing in China. Your comments at end of that paragraph are very much the pot calling the kettle black. Every goal was Pickfords fault for a couple of seasons and before that it was because Lukaku couldnt control the ball.

I am not saying Tarkowski will not do well here but IMO that is more dependent on how we play than anything else. If want to sit back like we did at the end of the season, then I think he will do very well. If we want to play on the front foot and leave him a lot more isolated, I have big concerns. He might be up for it, but he hasn't played that way for years and I would have major doubts how he would adapt. 

Ffs Bailey I said it a comment in jest and then as if by magic you appraised your scouting ability of players I’d not even seen you appraise.

I think you have proven my point. 

anyway, back to monopoly. 

44 minutes ago, Shukes said:

Gylfi just came into the room.

Head straight to jail!

To be fair i think we should take a chance on Tarkowski. Send him to Euston station and get him a ticket up here.

I guess, if we need him, we'll let him know - he'll be first in line, I'm sure...

God, what is wrong with me today... 😔

Community chest…..

“your club is doing absolutely shite in the league because you have wasted millions on garbage, you see an opportunity to look good and spend £20,000 on kits and accommodation for a tin pot club whose fans abuse your status, go back to stupid Kent road”

4 minutes ago, Hafnia said:

Community chest…..

“your club is doing absolutely shite in the league because you have wasted millions on garbage, you see an opportunity to look good and spend £20,000 on kits and accommodation for a tin pot club whose fans abuse your status, go back to stupid Kent road”

I haven’t Cluedo what your on about mate sounds like your in a right Piccadilly. 

2 minutes ago, Romey 1878 said:

I hope you're right because I really do not have a good feeling about this signing at all.

I’m pretty certain he will be quality.  I watched far more Burnley games than I would ever have wanted to, he and pope were practically keeping them in the league up till the point they went. 

If we can get him in, shift Mina (Marseille for £20m rumour is nice) and have a few quid to spend on a midfielder, as well as Tarkowski having lower wages than Mina, that would be a good start to the window for me. I’d be quite happy to leave the defence alone then (apart from getting Kenny out the door).

Burnley did get relegated, but it was not for their defensive record (that was top half of the table, conceding less goals than Leicester and Man U), Tarkowski more than did his job. Played most of his football in the Premier league and has held his own so no bedding in period required. 

The fact we shipped in so many goals from set pieces last season means a CB who is strong in the air will go a long way to instantly improving us.

I wasn't a massive fan of this transfer to begin with, as potentially blocks youth, but considering how bad we where last season a bit of an instant improvement at the back with a very much tried and tested defender is warranted. 

If getting this deal done allows us to move Mina on and recoup some funds and free up wages - then should turn out a decent deal. Glad its getting done relatively early in the window. 

Instantly improves the defence. 
Outstanding signing he isn’t but definitely a step in the right direction. 

Ship Mina and Keane out and defence probably isn’t that far off being solid and dependable…….. as much as our back line can be anyway!! 

Now for the midfield …….