IGNORED

Jean-Philippe Gbamin

Thought we had a powerful player in his few appearances. Probably thrown in a bit quicker than he needed due to injuries/us being shit. What I saw was an instinct to play quick 1/2 touch passes around the final third and carry the ball forward. Did get caught on the ball a couple of times however so hopefully he can adjust to the pace/awareness required.

1 hour ago, Romey 1878 said:

Let’s be honest, he looked very poor in his first appearance. Second appearance he started poorly again but grew into it by the end of the game.

Im not sure how anyone can make any sort of judgement on him. And let’s not forget he’s not a Carlo signing so he may not have a future here regardless. 

But he was playing in a new league, under a poor manager, and in a team lacking confidence. I wouldn't expect him to look like a world-beater under such circumstances. I have no idea of his qualities, but I would hope he'll be given the opportunity to prove himself to be worthy of a starting place.

3 hours ago, Cornish Steve said:

But he was playing in a new league, under a poor manager, and in a team lacking confidence. I wouldn't expect him to look like a world-beater under such circumstances. I have no idea of his qualities, but I would hope he'll be given the opportunity to prove himself to be worthy of a starting place.

Yes we would all like him to be given the opportunity to prove himself, and prove himself being the operative words, because of yet he hasn’t really proven to us anything in an Everton shirt. 
He’s still very much an unknown quantity and not a returning player who we can honestly say we have missed his presence in the team, he could turn out to be very good or equally very poor, I don’t think there’s anyone here who really knows. 

From the small cameos I saw of him, it was enough to see he can turn out to be a very decent player. I’m not one that thinks you need to see a player perform ten times to make a judgement. You can do that of a first impression, it turn out to be wrong..... but this is how transfers are made.

A scout reads a report on a player, decides to watch the player and makes a judgement. He may go to watch that player a few more time’s, but ultimately that first impression will stick.

Gbamin looked like a strong, mobile player who wasn’t scared of the ball, and had a decent touch and pass on him. He will fit into our squad nicely along the players we have. I would see him more of a competition for Gomes than Davies though.

7 hours ago, Cornish Steve said:

Yes, but my post is all about not knowing how anyone can have formed an opinion of him that he's going to be a good signing for us based on what were two fairly bad performances. That is all we have to go on.

7 hours ago, Shukes said:

From the small cameos I saw of him, it was enough to see he can turn out to be a very decent player. I’m not one that thinks you need to see a player perform ten times to make a judgement. You can do that of a first impression, it turn out to be wrong..... but this is how transfers are made.

A scout reads a report on a player, decides to watch the player and makes a judgement. He may go to watch that player a few more time’s, but ultimately that first impression will stick.

Gbamin looked like a strong, mobile player who wasn’t scared of the ball, and had a decent touch and pass on him. He will fit into our squad nicely along the players we have. I would see him more of a competition for Gomes than Davies though.

Well if you’re saying first impressions count then he’s shit, his first introduction to an Everton game was woeful, so you’ve sorted that conundrum out for us mate 😂

6 hours ago, pete0 said:

He didn't look up to the speed of the league in his cameos but did show he was good defensively and could pick a pass. We've got better players to bed him in now so should be able to get him up to speed quicker. 

Get him up to what speed, we don’t know what speed he’s capable of we haven’t seen or I haven’t seen him do anything in his few minutes for us that tells me he’s going to be a success or not. 

1 hour ago, Palfy said:

Well if you’re saying first impressions count then he’s shit, his first introduction to an Everton game was woeful, so you’ve sorted that conundrum out for us mate 😂

Time will tell. I will either be right or wrong.

Hope I’m right because we could do with another young player coming through strongly.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
11 hours ago, Hafnia said:

I'm sick of us ruining players by rushing them back.  Seen it with Martinez and Silva with McCarthy and Gbamin first and second set back. 

Get him fully fit and ready cos we can't afford to get this wrong.

This. I’d have no interest in him playing this season to be honest. If he does it’s a bonus, but no point risking it. 

13 hours ago, Hafnia said:

I'm sick of us ruining players by rushing them back.  Seen it with Martinez and Silva with McCarthy and Gbamin first and second set back. 

Get him fully fit and ready cos we can't afford to get this wrong.

Agree, we’re a different prospect in the midfield now - I think Davies can come in next to Doucoure and provide cover. I’d love to see Gbamin back soon - him and Doucoure would be a proper athletic, powerful midfield.