IGNORED

Jean-Philippe Gbamin

2 hours ago, StevO said:

But as Bailey said, we don’t even know the player he was before the injuries, let alone the player he’ll be after. We can’t afford to hope he is the answer. 

I agree have to work on the basis he is not going to be the answer in midfield at this moment in time, he is not premiership proven yet and bad run of injuries is only going to make the risk of him not being prem standard slightly greater.  So we have to bring another in decent defensive midfielder on the assumption he will not cut the mustard.  

If as we all hope, in 6-9 months time Gbamin comes back strong and begins to push for a starting place it has to be considered a massive bonus. Finger cross for the lad as this was a big move for him.  

3 minutes ago, Palfy said:

I’m not suggesting we do nothing and wait till he comes back, after all he may not be the player we hope him to be, but to write him off and look to sell is a bit OTT he hasn’t had an opportunity to prove himself. 

I’m not saying look to sell, but if someone would give us £10m I’d take it all day. We need midfielders, so there probably won’t be a place for him when fit anyway. 
Id love him to succeed, I’d always rather a player we have be better than going and buying, as every buy is a risk. I just don’t see it now. I think there are too many circumstances that will get in his way. 

1 minute ago, markjazzbassist said:

Oviedo Coleman Gomes all came back from horrific injuries in the same form before they were injured.  The injuries he has had are one offs it’s not like James McCarthy with a pulled hamstring every week.  These are separate and different injuries.  I think he will come back fine, he’s plenty young.

Oviedo, Coleman and Gomes injuries were impact fractures. Gbamin's injuries tend to be chronic and repetitive, as are most muscle and tendon injuries. There's a high chance he will get more of them, which is a concern. Also from medical understanding muscle injuries impair the function of the muscle so that it can never recover to the state it was before.

42 minutes ago, markjazzbassist said:

Oviedo Coleman Gomes all came back from horrific injuries in the same form before they were injured.  The injuries he has had are one offs it’s not like James McCarthy with a pulled hamstring every week.  These are separate and different injuries.  I think he will come back fine, he’s plenty young.

Do you really believe that?

Oviedo is barely half the player he was.

Gomes is not the same player either and IMO he looks to have lost any pace he had.

Coleman came back well and then suffered a massive dip in form. He has then gone from strength to strength since but he has also lost some pace and his threat in attack is not what it was. He has certainly come back best of them all.

I think it would be naive to think he will come back absolutely fine. He might do, but I would say the odds of that are slim and if he does, then like Coleman it will take time.

6 minutes ago, Bailey said:

but I would say the odds of that are slim and if he does, then like Coleman it will take time.

Shouldn’t you be affording Gomes the same time, you seem to have written him off without the same consideration as Coleman. 

4 minutes ago, Palfy said:

Shouldn’t you be affording Gomes the same time, you seem to have written him off without the same consideration as Coleman. 

Oh don't get me wrong I am. Gomes still had a fair amount of issues with his overall play pre-injury but he definitely deserves a pre-season and next year to prove himself. He would be the one I would keep from this midfield but I suspect it would be a stay of execution for 12 months.

1 hour ago, markjazzbassist said:

Oviedo went massively down hill, don’t know if you remember but he went to Sunderland and dropped down a few divisions. If he got back to the same form he would have had a better career. 
Coleman did really well coming back. 
If the last couple of months were Gomes back to normal then we are in big trouble!

46 minutes ago, Palfy said:

Big difference with Gomes is that we have seen what he can do, he has been a very good player for us and at a very high level in Spain. So we know what he can get back to and if he does it’s massive for us. 

• 2 months later...
2 hours ago, MC11 said:

It’s a difficult one this because you genuinely feel for the lad but at the same time the transfer so far has been a complete waste of money. The guy just can’t get fit. 

I fully expect him to be injured again in the coming weeks months. Prove me wrong. I hope I am

I feel the same. Expecting an injury to pop up when he’s back in training. I hope he doesn’t though. 

The plus side, with Allan being fantastic and Delph actually looking like a footballer again, and then possibly Davies too, there is no need to rush the lad. If he’s fit in November, great, but keep staying fit until needed, maybe even January, and then see how he is. 

42 minutes ago, StevO said:

I feel the same. Expecting an injury to pop up when he’s back in training. I hope he doesn’t though. 

The plus side, with Allan being fantastic and Delph actually looking like a footballer again, and then possibly Davies too, there is no need to rush the lad. If he’s fit in November, great, but keep staying fit until needed, maybe even January, and then see how he is. 

If he does get back to fitness he could be a very valuable player as someone who can backup both Doucoure and Allan. An upgrade to Davies and replacement for Delph who I’d image we will move on from soon enough. We have reasonable cover there for the moment, as mentioned, so I wouldn’t mind if they kept him out until after the January window if need be.

3 hours ago, MC11 said:

It’s a difficult one this because you genuinely feel for the lad but at the same time the transfer so far has been a complete waste of money. The guy just can’t get fit. 

I fully expect him to be injured again in the coming weeks months. Prove me wrong. I hope I am

You cannot predict these injuries and i think its been proven already that he had played plenty of games the 2/3 seasons prior to joining us. There is this element of risk in any transfer or any player.

A midfield of Doucoure, Allan and Gbamin would offer so much energy, physical presence whilst all having quality on the ball. Great squad depth.

Cliche but we need to look at him as new signing and as Steve mentioned not rush him back and look to utilize him in the busy december period.

13 minutes ago, Btay said:

You cannot predict these injuries and i think its been proven already that he had played plenty of games the 2/3 seasons prior to joining us. There is this element of risk in any transfer or any player.

A midfield of Doucoure, Allan and Gbamin would offer so much energy, physical presence whilst all having quality on the ball. Great squad depth.

Cliche but we need to look at him as new signing and as Steve mentioned not rush him back and look to utilize him in the busy december period.

We look pretty impressive getting off the bus these days with guys like Doucoure, Mina, DCL, Gbamin, Godfrey, Nkounkou etc..

5 hours ago, SpartyBlue said:

We look pretty impressive getting off the bus these days with guys like Doucoure, Mina, DCL, Gbamin, Godfrey, Nkounkou etc..

Even Richarlison is so physical. 
Keane as well, I’ve always thought he was a bit soft but he’s been different class this year. It’s great to see.

9 hours ago, SpartyBlue said:

An upgrade to Davies and replacement for Delph who I’d image we will move on from soon enough. 

Can I ask what makes you think he’s an upgrade on Davies and Delph?

Not trying to be funny with that, but I’ve seen every minute he’s played for Everton (not too many minutes haha) and couldn’t come to any conclusion about his ability yet. Just curious what you’ve seen. 

4 hours ago, StevO said:

Not trying to be funny with that, but I’ve seen every minute he’s played for Everton (not too many minutes haha) and couldn’t come to any conclusion about his ability yet. Just curious what you’ve seen. 

It’s certainly true we haven’t seen much of him in blue. I’m basing it mostly on what I’ve seen of him before he’s arrived and the flashes he showed in our lineup. I don’t think Davies is good enough and I doubt we will want to pay the wages of an aging Delph for much longer if we have an alternative. For me the bar for Gbamin to clear is not particularly high. We shall see though, I’m sure it will take him awhile to get back up to speed.

8 hours ago, StevO said:

Totally agree we really haven’t got much of clue what he’s going to be like from what we’ve seen of him, we’ve had lot’s of players signed in the last 5 years who have looked great on edited footage, Klaasen springs to mind the footage of him posted before he played for us made him look world class the reality was completely different. 
There’s a long way to go imo before Gbamin proves that he’s the player we want him to become.