IGNORED

Jean-Philippe Gbamin

20 hours ago, Palfy said:

Let’s pray the wait has been worth it and we have world class mid returning to the squad. He’s still very much an unknown quantity at the moment. 

I do to......

But how funny would it be if he came onto the pitch and looked like that guy Souness signed that couldn't kick a ball haha!

1 minute ago, Romey 1878 said:

Do we have a separate squad that is only in the treatment room?

I don't think any of his injuries have been his fault though, he has been desperately unlucky. I would also like to think based on our club's ethics and that of our fans he would get incredible support when he steps onto the pitch.

Personally, I want him to be a proper asset to the team not for the story alone but if we can avoid buying another CM we can invest in other areas.

4 minutes ago, Btay said:

I don't think any of his injuries have been his fault though, he has been desperately unlucky. I would also like to think based on our club's ethics and that of our fans he would get incredible support when he steps onto the pitch.

Personally, I want him to be a proper asset to the team not for the story alone but if we can avoid buying another CM we can invest in other areas.

Delph’s injuries haven’t been his fault either tbh. He’s just a crock (of shit).

I do hope Gbamin gets over his injuries. It’d be nice to know if he can actually be a good player for us, because as of right now I have no idea if he’s good or bad. 

2 hours ago, Romey 1878 said:

Delph’s injuries haven’t been his fault either tbh. He’s just a crock (of shit).

I do hope Gbamin gets over his injuries. It’d be nice to know if he can actually be a good player for us, because as of right now I have no idea if he’s good or bad. 

If Gbamin struts around like a cocky hard man that offers fuck all I’ll judge him on that as well. For me, he got a huge opportunity in signing for us and got injured before having a chance to show himself. 

Regardless, I think every one wants to see him do well but also weary that he may break down physically at any moment.

1 minute ago, Btay said:

If Gbamin struts around like a cocky hard man that offers fuck all I’ll judge him on that as well. For me, he got a huge opportunity in signing for us and got injured before having a chance to show himself. 

Regardless, I think every one wants to see him do well but also weary that he may break down physically at any moment.

And then the rest of us will break down mentally. 

13 hours ago, pete0 said:

He looked like he needed a decent adjustment period to get up to the pace of the prem. Missing two years of football is gonna make it extra difficult. From good brief cameo there looked to be some talent but it could be another year before we see if he's good enough.

This.

When you look at the amount of time it took Coleman, McCarthy and Gomes to get back to form, it will be even harder for Gbamin. He will need lots of time and patience to get up to speed and I hope people give him that chance.

its so strange, in most american sports once someone is fit it only takes maybe a month at most to get up to speed.  some people come back from injuries very quickly and pop right in.  alex smith QB for washington was out for over a year, once he was fit he came in and was slinging it and did really well.  was a brutal injury too.  i always wonder why soccer takes players so long to get back to their old self?  marathon runners get brutal injuries and they can come back, so i don't think it's the endurance part.  what is it?

36 minutes ago, markjazzbassist said:

its so strange, in most american sports once someone is fit it only takes maybe a month at most to get up to speed.  some people come back from injuries very quickly and pop right in.  alex smith QB for washington was out for over a year, once he was fit he came in and was slinging it and did really well.  was a brutal injury too.  i always wonder why soccer takes players so long to get back to their old self?  marathon runners get brutal injuries and they can come back, so i don't think it's the endurance part.  what is it?

Takes time to get their hair back the way they want it.

2 hours ago, markjazzbassist said:

The one thing I can think is the speed of the game. NFL, though a brutal sport, there is only one league, and is the speed of the game that much different to the speed at college? I actually don’t know, I’m asking. Marathon runners run at their own pace, with little influence from the rest of the pack (if anything their pace can bring them along). With football every league it seems play at a different league. So maybe if a lower league, or slower league, player comes back they may catch up quicker. But the premier league can be so quick you don’t have time to catch your breath or even time to think. Only assumptions anyway. 

12 minutes ago, StevO said:

The one thing I can think is the speed of the game. NFL, though a brutal sport, there is only one league, and is the speed of the game that much different to the speed at college? I actually don’t know, I’m asking. Marathon runners run at their own pace, with little influence from the rest of the pack (if anything their pace can bring them along). With football every league it seems play at a different league. So maybe if a lower league, or slower league, player comes back they may catch up quicker. But the premier league can be so quick you don’t have time to catch your breath or even time to think. Only assumptions anyway. 

yeah the NFL is a lot faster than college game.  i've thought about this some more and maybe it has to do with your "touch".  most sports just run with their legs, so you just have to be able to run again after injury.  football you have your first touch when the ball hits you, then you have all the various shooting/passing techniques which require different strength kicks and types of kicking.  so the players can run around fine, but it's those fine skills with the feet that take remembering/re-learning.

4 hours ago, markjazzbassist said:

Holgate interview the other day touches on it.

“It is hard to get back to the tempo when everyone is a quarter of the way into the season.

“I found it difficult to get going and pick up the same pace.

“I felt my body wasn’t moving how I wanted, I was seeing things too late.

“It comes together with playing games.

https://www.evertonfc.com/news/2077760/holgate-we-want-to-be-the-best-we-can-to-reach-our-potential-which-is-huge

22 minutes ago, badaids said:

Did anyone see his smile when he came on? Was not the substitution that was needed at the time, but made up for him that he got on for 15 or so.

I thought that at the time - he was so happy - lovely to see!

He’s clearly miles off the pace and psychologically it must be so hard after all the set backs so we need to be so so patient.

1 hour ago, c1982 said:

I thought that at the time - he was so happy - lovely to see!

He’s clearly miles off the pace and psychologically it must be so hard after all the set backs so we need to be so so patient.

He’s a massive unit too, so hopefully he can cruise around bashing people off the ball like what fellaini used to.