IGNORED

Carlo Ancelotti

The only problem I have with the article above and similar pieces is that they weren't saying this at this point last season when Silva was in charge. In fact many had us getting into Europe and taking advantage of the other sides slipping up. 

Very little has changed in the squad between then and now and yet Silva should have been on the steps to Europe whereas Ancelotti has it all to do. Why is all of the pressure piled upon Silva and yet Ancelotti get ready made excuses? 

41 minutes ago, Bailey said:

The only problem I have with the article above and similar pieces is that they weren't saying this at this point last season when Silva was in charge. In fact many had us getting into Europe and taking advantage of the other sides slipping up. 

Very little has changed in the squad between then and now and yet Silva should have been on the steps to Europe whereas Ancelotti has it all to do. Why is all of the pressure piled upon Silva and yet Ancelotti get ready made excuses? 

Because Ancelotti has inherited Silva/Koeman/Walsh players and hasn't had a chance to bring in his people. The current is clearly lacking identity, and that's a result of his predecessors. 

The expectation previously was that we had all this money and were spending big so should expect Europe. Now we realize that that's not the only deciding factor. 

1 hour ago, Bailey said:

I think there were some glaring issues under Silva - namely defence and set pieces.

Unfortunately for him his reputation didn't carry enough credit to make people focus on the players in the way we should.   

It is clear that the players were the issue, it's also clear that Silva wasn't good enough for us. 

1 hour ago, Sibdane said:

Because Ancelotti has inherited Silva/Koeman/Walsh players and hasn't had a chance to bring in his people. The current is clearly lacking identity, and that's a result of his predecessors. 

The expectation previously was that we had all this money and were spending big so should expect Europe. Now we realize that that's not the only deciding factor. 

Does it matter who bought the players etc if the same lot were good enough 12 months ago. Its only recent performance that has changed in that time.

31 minutes ago, Hafnia said:

I think there were some glaring issues under Silva - namely defence and set pieces.

Unfortunately for him his reputation didn't carry enough credit to make people focus on the players in the way we should.   

It is clear that the players were the issue, it's also clear that Silva wasn't good enough for us. 

Legitimate question here but how do you know Silva wasnt good enough if the players weren't. I get that he was here when some of the players came here but he is only part of that process, as Ancelotti will be.

If Ancelotti fails with these players, which is the case thus far, does that make him not good enough or the players?

1 hour ago, Bailey said:

Does it matter who bought the players etc if the same lot were good enough 12 months ago. Its only recent performance that has changed in that time.

Legitimate question here but how do you know Silva wasnt good enough if the players weren't. I get that he was here when some of the players came here but he is only part of that process, as Ancelotti will be.

If Ancelotti fails with these players, which is the case thus far, does that make him not good enough or the players?

A lot changes in 12 months. I think it's pretty easy to fathom that if Carlo was here 12 months ago we would have a couple of different players at least than we have now. 

8 hours ago, Bailey said:

Silva wasn't good enough because we were atrocious defending set pieces.... to a chronic level.  

He made no sense in his interviews and looked lost.... all in all that's enough on its own

I think this job has to be Ancellotti's biggest challenge.  To turn a mediocre team into a good team and then in to a very good or even a great team!!!  That's pretty much his remit. 

I think he has inherited almost the worst type of squad you can get (bar a couple of exceptions) - to many players who are being overpaid in comparison to their ability, manyw have little genuine hunger to prove themselves - they have the massive contracts (that they would not be getting elsewhere), they are not really good enough to be playing in better teams, so happily coasting at been 'ordinary' and average or worse!!. Many have  more than hit their ceiling when we signed them up on big money contracts!!!!

I think it is that little bit more difficult to rebuild when we are going to be kind of stuck with a lot of the players on good money and who will not get a better offer than what they have at Everton  - Gyli,  Bolaise, Tosun, Bernard, Walcott, Gomes, Pickford , Iwobi, MIna, Rameriez, Besic.  That's 11 recent signing I would quite happily see being replaced, but that will not be easy, they will not want to go, and other teams will not want to pay much for them or match their current wages. So as said, the worst type of squad for a rebuild.  

I hope Ancellotti IS able to get a lot more out of the player we already have at the club, but they are not in the bracket of the player he has had to work with in the past - those players had genuine quality - so his job was to get it out of them on a consistent basis. I am not sure the players listed are genuine quality - the are able to do some things well, but flatter to deceive in all honesty.  Not even Ancellotti can make silk purses out of sow's ears. 

I personally don't think this is going to be turned around that quickly (without a bottomless pit of money in order to just take the hit on what we already have), this is going to take 2-3 more seasons to sort out (this COVID business is not going to help at the moment either). I hope this time around we give the manager the time needed - this manager is proven at the top level (which is what we are aspiring for), unlike the last few we have had. It was right to sack those as swiftly as we did, but they where questionable signings in the first place. 

3 hours ago, RuffRob said:

I think this job has to be Ancellotti's biggest challenge.  To turn a mediocre team into a good team and then in to a very good or even a great team!!!  That's pretty much his remit. 

I think he has inherited almost the worst type of squad you can get (bar a couple of exceptions) - to many players who are being overpaid in comparison to their ability, manyw have little genuine hunger to prove themselves - they have the massive contracts (that they would not be getting elsewhere), they are not really good enough to be playing in better teams, so happily coasting at been 'ordinary' and average or worse!!. Many have  more than hit their ceiling when we signed them up on big money contracts!!!!

I think it is that little bit more difficult to rebuild when we are going to be kind of stuck with a lot of the players on good money and who will not get a better offer than what they have at Everton  - Gyli,  Bolaise, Tosun, Bernard, Walcott, Gomes, Pickford , Iwobi, MIna, Rameriez, Besic.  That's 11 recent signing I would quite happily see being replaced, but that will not be easy, they will not want to go, and other teams will not want to pay much for them or match their current wages. So as said, the worst type of squad for a rebuild.  

I hope Ancellotti IS able to get a lot more out of the player we already have at the club, but they are not in the bracket of the player he has had to work with in the past - those players had genuine quality - so his job was to get it out of them on a consistent basis. I am not sure the players listed are genuine quality - the are able to do some things well, but flatter to deceive in all honesty.  Not even Ancellotti can make silk purses out of sow's ears. 

I personally don't think this is going to be turned around that quickly (without a bottomless pit of money in order to just take the hit on what we already have), this is going to take 2-3 more seasons to sort out (this COVID business is not going to help at the moment either). I hope this time around we give the manager the time needed - this manager is proven at the top level (which is what we are aspiring for), unlike the last few we have had. It was right to sack those as swiftly as we did, but they where questionable signings in the first place. 

I agree. I think Utd looked like they were going the same way but Ole has since done a pretty good job of weeding out the players he doesn't like and getting the players with the right attitude into the side even if they are a bit limited compared to the ones they got rid of. Arteta is doing the same to some extent already at Arsenal. It sounds like Chelsea will be doing the same this summer. Whether any of them succeed remains to be seen.

With us, I think replacing the midfield will go along way in changing our fortunes. It won't suddenly make us league challengers but it will be the difference between bottom of the table and the best of the rest. If we can then add the 2 or 3 players a season like Brands said he wanted to do when he joined, then after that point, we can gradually edge closer and closer.

• 2 weeks later...
22 minutes ago, duncanmckenzieismagic said:

"And Ancelotti, 61, who turned down West Ham in favour of assuming the Everton reins after being sacked by Napoli, could be on the move again should the current situation continue."

Ridiculous article. The Daily Star stirring the pot because one of our targets chose to go to Spurs and they other is likely to go to Arsenal/Napoli. What are the club honestly supposed to do about that?

The board, Ancelotti and Brands will have prepared for this and will be talking to alternative targets. Priority players on our shortlist were always going to be a long shot, they're seen as the best we can get. There's still 5 weeks of the transfer window left.

1 hour ago, Aidan said:

"And Ancelotti, 61, who turned down West Ham in favour of assuming the Everton reins after being sacked by Napoli, could be on the move again should the current situation continue."

Ridiculous article. The Daily Star stirring the pot because one of our targets chose to go to Spurs and they other is likely to go to Arsenal/Napoli. What are the club honestly supposed to do about that?

The board, Ancelotti and Brands will have prepared for this and will be talking to alternative targets. Priority players on our shortlist were always going to be a long shot, they're seen as the best we can get. There's still 5 weeks of the transfer window left.

I do believe that article is nonsense, but I did post some months ago that if Ancelotti couldn’t better the team, due to lack of funds and the players he needs turning him down because they don’t feel Everton is the place to be, that he would resign more because he is an honest man, and not here just for the money, and I still believe that today. 

12 hours ago, Palfy said:

I do believe that article is nonsense, but I did post some months ago that if Ancelotti couldn’t better the team, due to lack of funds and the players he needs turning him down because they don’t feel Everton is the place to be, that he would resign more because he is an honest man, and not here just for the money, and I still believe that today. 

Ancelotti cant be that naive. He knew full well that it would be difficult to get great players at Everton. The board will back him as best they can. He's going to have to work with what the club can get in.

• 2 weeks later...
On 05/09/2020 at 17:30, SpartyBlue said:

Perhaps it has been mentioned elsewhere but someone expanded on Allan’s characterization of Ancelotti as “professor” to make it “Professor Ancelotti and the School of Science”. It sounds like a lost Harry Potter volume but if there is any chance we can make it a thing I think we should.

We could, but it lies in Anchelotti's hands whether we should call him The Professor.

What are other peoples expectations for this season now? 

Its a tough one this season. Normally having signed this new midfield I would have thought top 6 would have been a given but as I have said in another thread this is a really competitive season. Its the type of season that 8th could be a success.

1 hour ago, Matt said:

I’m expecting 5th

18 minutes ago, Aidan said:

I think carlo will expect a top 6 finish regardless of the competitive nature of the league. Hopefully he can do a job in drilling this into the players. 

It goes without saying they will be expected to take some serious points off the current top 6.

12 minutes ago, Romey 1878 said:

I think it’s vital we secure a European place. We have to go all out for that and anything less is failure as far as I’m concerned. 

Out of interest then, who do you think drops out from those that finished in and around those positions last season? 

That is the bit I find difficult. 

2 minutes ago, Matt said:

I see United and Spurs dipping, or at least teams we can overtake, along with Leicester. I don’t expect Wolves to do as well

Spurs I agree Leicester 50/50 Utd and Wolves will hold their own or even improve, what concerns me is our central defence possible one of the weakest in the top 12, there’s still time to get one decent CH in of the same standard of the the three mids we bought, if we fail to do that it could cost us big time. 

33 minutes ago, Bailey said:

Out of interest then, who do you think drops out from those that finished in and around those positions last season? 

That is the bit I find difficult. 

I don’t care. We do our job and it’s irrelevant what they do because we’ll have enough points to displace one or more of them. 

I agree that anything less than a European spot would be a failure. I still think we're a RW away from competing for top four though. A solid RB would also be useful, but I think Coleman still has enough in him for at least one more season. 

I think Kean/DCL will make improvements this year (I hope).