IGNORED

Carlo Ancelotti

1 hour ago, Shukes said:

Problem is that I can’t see any players here, who can help in midfield. Iwobi plus well in the middle when he has the ball, but the guys is scared of his own shadow. 
Gomes has been struggling since coming back and needs a few months. 
Davies just isn’t getting any better. Seems to be regressing. 
Delpth, .......     well. 
Gylfi, I just don’t see him as anything more than a filler player. 
Benni is far too defensive. 

What are our other options?

The simple answer is that we don't have any! 

We must have one of the worst midfields in the top half of the league.

4 hours ago, Bailey said:

Absolutely! I don't know what the stats say but we also look better at defending set pieces and scoring from them as well.

I think our play will go up a notch once we sort out that midfield. 

Agreed the midfield is our Achilles heel at the moment, we’ve known that for the last 4-5 years now, and successive managers have just added more rubbish to compound the problem. 
We have to believe Carlo is the man to right a lot of wrongs. 

1 hour ago, Shukes said:

Agreed, we’re going to have to settle for what we have at the moment, and hate to say it... but we need a fit Delpth. As overrated as he is, he is capable of sitting in the middle and picking out passes.

Unfortunately, he’s the best we have to sit alongside Gomes.

It’s sad when you put it that way, considering the money we have spent in that department. 

Great sentiment from Carlo, but will that change if he doesn’t get the funds he needs to make the changes that are required, and could the pulling power of Everton put off the players he is used to dealing with, the allure of working with him may not be enough for most. 
The summer transfer window for me is going to be one of the most important in the last 4 years, we’ve let mediocre managers spend millions on mediocre players, we are the 3rd biggest spenders in the last 4 years, and for all that money we have 2 possibly 3 players who might get into the top 7 as it stands now. 
Carlo has now been left with very little money with an expectation to buy top class players, unless FP rules change I can see hard times a head, and I’m not so sure he will be able to stand the disappointment of not being able to progress because he can’t attract what he knows he needs, but let’s see the next season will tell, it’s a massive one for him and us. 

Had the pleasure of chatting to John Ebbrell the other day.  Always got time whenever I see him, hadnt seen him for a while  but he was genuinely very excited over Carlo.

Ancellotti is like nothing he's encountered before from a manager, brilliant mind and very approachable.  Absolute class he said.  Looked genuinely enthused about the future and really hopes Carlo gets a few hundred million to spend..... make of that what you will. 😉

2 hours ago, Palfy said:

Since Carlo’s arrival we have amassed 25 points from 14 games, if he can replicate them averages in a full season we could finish in the mid 70s points wise next season getting us CL spot. 
Now that would be something very achievable with Ancelotti running the show. 

Maths is a bit out Palfy, 25 from 14 games is about 1.78 points per game which over a season would give us about 68 points. I'd take that for sure as a step forward but chances of it being enough for top four very slim, certainly Europa though.

25 minutes ago, MikeO said:

Maths is a bit out Palfy, 25 from 14 games is about 1.78 points per game which over a season would give us about 68 points. I'd take that for sure as a step forward but chances of it being enough for top four very slim, certainly Europa though.

I was also allowing for some slight improvement and not throwing silly points away like against Newcastle, plus I was still in bed half asleep 💤 😊

What can he do - we have square pegs in round holes everywhere? The 4-4-2 system cant work now with Siggy & Dave's & Gomes as the CM options. We all agree to this. So he tries a different approach and we end up with 3 FBs in a back 5 with one recognised CB. There are very few options in the squad we have right now - almost back to the knives in a gun fight analogy of Moyes days. We have to stick with carlo - let him get his own players in and see. We've tried all other options of Managers.

We looked ok against a poor Liverpool performance, struggled to put away a very poor Norwich and beat a fragile Leicester.  Think it really is down to the crap players we have bought in Moshiris time (Digne / Richie excluded) .Time to experiment in the last 3 games now to see who stays and who can go from the squad if anyone will take em off is. Really do have a piss poor squad.

Interesting to see the fate of FFP tomorrow after City's appeal - we need to spend big again and hope Moshiri plays along too. Otherwise we are going to be the West Hams, Newcastles, Middlesbrough's of this league very very soon.

33 minutes ago, barryj said:

I know your angry and annoyed following that shambles today but I also think you’re disillusioned. The players have been a shambles for a while and they are mish mash of bad recruitment and other managers left overs. If you truly think even a Klopp or Pep could get much more out of these you’re badly mistaken. It’s not Carlo who can’t pass the ball 5 yards to a player or turn and have pace like a P&O ferry. The squad isn’t build on any system that works and he’s even tried today to bring in youth and it’s clear they’re not ready. He’s playing the terrible hand he’s been dealt with and needs to try all sorts in order to try to start the rebuild. 

To be fair, I thought the same about the Arsenal players and Arteta is getting something out of them. 

Its fair to say that any criticism of Carlo needs to be put in the context of the squad at his disposal. In the same breath, Silva was judged on these same players and he was sacked for lacklustre performances and today was as bad as anything he served up.

Silva has the benefit of having some input into the transfers but realistically the only player we can say with certainly that he was involved in was Richarlison. 

In respect of formation its safe to say this way of playing the 442 doesn't work. You simply cannot expect Siggy, Gomes, Davies or whoever else to try and play out of the back and then support the striker when it goes long. It doesn't work, its lunacy. Not only can the first and last named not do it consistently enough but they aren't good enough or confident enough to take the ball on the half turn. It goes backwards and sideways time and time again. Ferguson had some success with a 442 because the whole side squeezed up the pitch and didn't even try and piss around with it at the back. Its basic and simple but sound. 

The biggest headscrather for me is that we saw the front two terrorise opposition defenders when competing for long balls, crosses or running in behind or down the channels. They are seeing less and less of the ball now and Richarlison's main involvement is getting the ball on the half turn in our half and DCL's is winning defensive headers.

Today we tried something different but at its core is the same principle. The difference today is that they hadn't been trained in the system enough and likewise they clearly hadn't prepared for Wolves enough. If you're not confident in a shape, you can't go to Wolves and expect things to go well, especially when the players at the core of that shape are still not good enough to do what is being asked of them. 

Ancelotti came here with a reputation of being flexible but so far I can only see us repeating the same thing game after game without success. I would recommend that he speaks to his assistant manager who might just be able to suggest a thing or two.

22 minutes ago, pete0 said:

Ferguson managed it with Schneiderlin and Sigurdssen, and in his other game Davies and Holgate. Only difference was Ferguson had them playing with intensity. Madness that Sigurdssen isn't doing it for Ancelotti. 

Its not that he isn't doing it, its that the lines were much more compact. He is being asked to cover more ground, longer sprints, his starting point from the man on the ball is further away etc. 

2 hours ago, barryj said:

I know your angry and annoyed following that shambles today but I also think you’re disillusioned. The players have been a shambles for a while and they are mish mash of bad recruitment and other managers left overs. If you truly think even a Klopp or Pep could get much more out of these you’re badly mistaken. It’s not Carlo who can’t pass the ball 5 yards to a player or turn and have pace like a P&O ferry. The squad isn’t build on any system that works and he’s even tried today to bring in youth and it’s clear they’re not ready. He’s playing the terrible hand he’s been dealt with and needs to try all sorts in order to try to start the rebuild. 

Mate its emotion today. Truly, I don’t think there’s anyone that hurts as much as I do. I love this club... so deeply it’s disturbing. I say these things to express how disillusioned I am. 
Trust me when I say, my life is shit at the moment..... but I spend so much time hoping... praying... begging floor my team to give me a little hope..... it’s flooring me mate.

58 minutes ago, Bailey said:

Its not that he isn't doing it, its that the lines were much more compact. He is being asked to cover more ground, longer sprints, his starting point from the man on the ball is further away etc. 

Covering ground has never been a problem for him, he usually covers the most. But he's not sprinting, he's sitting back and letting the others take the risks but by sitting back he's completely stifling the play. The centre mids need to work in tandem and he just isn't doing his fair share. When he's looking for a pass you'll see Davies making space for either a pass to himself or to drag a player with him to open up a gap to thread the ball through. Yet he's not returning the favour. He's also being too safe on the ball passing it sideways/backwards and killing the momentum rather than driving the ball forward if he carries it forward or puts the opposition on the back foot instead were getting pegged in our own half as he's giving them time to get back in formation making it harder for us to attack and easier for them to win the ball back. 

21 minutes ago, pete0 said:

Covering ground has never been a problem for him, he usually covers the most. But he's not sprinting, he's sitting back and letting the others take the risks but by sitting back he's completely stifling the play. The centre mids need to work in tandem and he just isn't doing his fair share. When he's looking for a pass you'll see Davies making space for either a pass to himself or to drag a player with him to open up a gap to thread the ball through. Yet he's not returning the favour. He's also being too safe on the ball passing it sideways/backwards and killing the momentum rather than driving the ball forward if he carries it forward or puts the opposition on the back foot instead were getting pegged in our own half as he's giving them time to get back in formation making it harder for us to attack and easier for them to win the ball back. 

There is one thing covering the ground as a 10, where there are two people behind you and doing it as a true CM. Believe it or not, you tend to be more risk averse. 

He cant sprint as easily now to win the ball. The whole team are sat 5 yards + off the opposition. When your two yards its easy to get in and stop the attack without too much exertion, especially when you are playing 40+ yards from goal than 20 yards from it.

Your watching a different Davies to me. I watched him hideaway on a Richarlison break jogging at half pace when he should have been trying to get beyond him. He is just as guilty or being negative and not doing enough. Just to make it clear, those same comments do apply to Siggy and you can add Gomes too. In fact you can add most players, especially in that midfield. You are isolating one player when its a whole group of players that are doing the same thing. The only ones I wouldnt tar with that brush is Coleman and Digne. Even Keane was too far off to start with today until he moved as the middle man.

9 hours ago, Bailey said:

To be fair, I thought the same about the Arsenal players and Arteta is getting something out of them. 

they lost to a limp dicked spurs today.  not sure that's getting anything out of them but hey different strokes (pun intended)

as far as ancelotti, as everton this is why we can't have nice things.  we ruin them.  we get ancelotti.  people already calling for his head.  give the man time, we did martinez and silva, lets give him at least another year, i'd say 2 more campagins.  then make a judgement.  we have a terrible squad with a lot of injuries and massive holes (Brands get your shit together).  it's not his fault, he just got here.  have some patience, this season is a write off the minute silva was sacked anyways.

Perfect scenario has just happened for us.  No FFP  to restrict us from getting rid of the shite within our club at low prices and getting in some real quality. 

This is what Carlo was bought in to manage.... not a fooking pedestrian midfield, 1980s style centre halves a calamity keeper and  players more arsed about their hairstyles than footba games. 

12 hours ago, markjazzbassist said:

they lost to a limp dicked spurs today.  not sure that's getting anything out of them but hey different strokes (pun intended)

as far as ancelotti, as everton this is why we can't have nice things.  we ruin them.  we get ancelotti.  people already calling for his head.  give the man time, we did martinez and silva, lets give him at least another year, i'd say 2 more campagins.  then make a judgement.  we have a terrible squad with a lot of injuries and massive holes (Brands get your shit together).  it's not his fault, he just got here.  have some patience, this season is a write off the minute silva was sacked anyways.

Yeh I agree they were not great today but they have improved leaps and bounds as a squad. Im not saying they are going to be winning anything soon but when you consider their 3 centre backs are Luiz, Mustafi and Kolasinac AND that they have a back up keeper between the sticks, I'd say not losing by 5 each game is pretty impressive.

The second part is true though, he definitely needs time. At the very least he deserves a new midfield to see what he can do with. For what its worth though I haven't seen anyone call for him to be sacked though, more just dissatisfaction. Regardless of everything though, we shouldn't be witnessing performance like the one we saw yesterday at any point.