IGNORED

January Transfer Window

6 hours ago, Cornish Steve said:

My wife's originally from Plymouth, and there's a well-known family in the city with last name Bastard. One of them, a solicitor with a prominent office on the Hoe, has the first name Robin.

But, as always, we digress.

Spent many very good days/nights on the Hoe in Guzz, great in the summer 

22 minutes ago, duncanmckenzieismagic said:

Spent many very good days/nights on the Hoe in Guzz, great in the summer 

PL1 was my work "patch" for a while many years back, centre of town then down to Union Street and Stonehouse; saw some sights down there, mostly fallout from the previous night....plus "ladies of the night" trying to usher innocent passers by (such as myself:unsure:) into their boudoirs. Never had a night out there though, was put off forces towns by being brought up in Guildford, proximity to Aldershot made it a war zone Friday/Saturday nights.

20 minutes ago, MikeO said:

PL1 was my work "patch" for a while many years back, centre of town then down to Union Street and Stonehouse; saw some sights down there, mostly fallout from the previous night....plus "ladies of the night" trying to usher innocent passers by (such as myself:unsure:) into their boudoirs. Never had a night out there though, was put off forces towns by being brought up in Guildford, proximity to Aldershot made it a war zone Friday/Saturday nights.

Did you work in Stonehouse med centre?

It was pretty much the same down Union Street back in the day, remember being out down there over a Christmas leave period in the late 80’s and the civvi’s going on the rampage beating up any servicemen they could find, then come January when everyone came back it was like a proper war zone yet every serviceman on the planet had a cast iron alibi !

1 minute ago, duncanmckenzieismagic said:

No, was just an observer on my way through; had a franchise as a multi-drop driver; earned a lot of money but stress levels, with 5.00am alarms and 80/90 hours weeks near killed me, was a gibbering wreck when I got out.

2 hours ago, duncanmckenzieismagic said:

It was pretty much the same down Union Street back in the day, remember being out down there over a Christmas leave period in the late 80’s and the civvi’s going on the rampage beating up any servicemen they could find, then come January when everyone came back it was like a proper war zone yet every serviceman on the planet had a cast iron alibi !

Union Street in the 60s, 70s, and 80s was notorious.

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry for falling behind, here's where we ended up in January:

IN: Mykolenko, Patterson, Dele, Crellin
OUT: Digne
LOAN IN: El Ghazi, Donny

LOAN OUT: Simms, Warrington
CONTRACT ENDS AFTER SEASON: Lonergan, Kenny, Delph, Siggy, Tosun

Squad for rest of season:
GK: Pickford, Begovic, Lonergan
DEF: Keane, Mina, Holgate, Godfrey, Mykolenko, Coleman, Patterson, Branthwaite, Kenny
MID: Allan, Doucoure, Gomes, Davies, Gbamin, Delph, Dele, Donny
FWD: DCL, Richarlison, Gray, Townsend, Gordon, Iwobi, Rondon, Tosun, El Ghazi

23 hours ago, plaidharper said:

Thought Coleman was contract until June 2023?

Also isn't Begovic's contract up in the summer as well?

22 hours ago, MikeO said:

Correct on Séamus; we nave the option of another year for Begović, which I see no reason for us not to use.

Good call thank you both. Edited original post to remove Seamus. Glad he's definitely back for next year. 

• 10 months later...

We need a striker and winger. Gonna have to survive with the rest. Want both of them to be young and hungry to prove themselves on the biggest stage. Elanga on loan makes sense and if we could somehow sell the project to Jonathan David that would be great. Some bias here but considering the fees the clubs would be seeking Yunus Musah (CM) and Tim Weah (W) are great value. Same argument for David - we'd have to sell the project. 

6 minutes ago, AlbanyNYToffee said:

We need a striker and winger. Gonna have to survive with the rest. Want both of them to be young and hungry to prove themselves on the biggest stage. Elanga on loan makes sense and if we could somehow sell the project to Jonathan David that would be great. Some bias here but considering the fees the clubs would be seeking Yunus Musah (CM) and Tim Weah (W) are great value. Same argument for David - we'd have to sell the project. 

Not a fucking chance we get Jonathan David. His suitors are some of the top clubs in Europe, so that alone won't bring him here. Plus the fee is out of our range.

• 2 weeks later...
46 minutes ago, duncanmckenzieismagic said:

Foolishly I thought when we released Rondon that we had a CF lined up ready to join as soon as the window opened. They’ve known since Richarlison left that we were desperate for a striker yet still no movement 

Come on, you’ve supported us long enough to know we’re utter shite at transfers.

Teams around us are strengthening and our board doesn’t even know if they want to keep the manager. 

a third of the way in to the window - and two more defeats. 

when we are desperate for an offensive player or two, it very frustrating we don't seem to be able to move quicker on this front.

I would like Danny Ings as a hit the ground running type of transfer (as not much better options on this front available) this squad desperately needs another bona fida forward I actually think Danny Ings would give DCL a run for his money as No.1 when both are fit. This along with a talented youngster who can play across the front line.

16 minutes ago, RuffRob said:

a third of the way in to the window - and two more defeats. 

when we are desperate for an offensive player or two, it very frustrating we don't seem to be able to move quicker on this front.

I would like Danny Ings as a hit the ground running type of transfer (as not much better options on this front available) this squad desperately needs another bona fida forward I actually think Danny Ings would give DCL a run for his money as No.1 when both are fit. This along with a talented youngster who can play across the front line.

Danny Ings would be a good addition, I would also like to see a LB come in, Mykolenko's game is very negative he doesn't try to get forward enough, instead he plays backwards it's becoming very frustrating to watch, yet still manages to get caught out of position, we definitely need another LB to give him some competition. 

2 hours ago, Palfy said:

Danny Ings would be a good addition, I would also like to see a LB come in, Mykolenko's game is very negative he doesn't try to get forward enough, instead he plays backwards it's becoming very frustrating to watch, yet still manages to get caught out of position, we definitely need another LB to give him some competition. 

Maybe Villa will loan us Digne - Umri first signing will be for £10.5M Alex Moreno , another 29 year old LB. 

3 hours ago, Palfy said:

We brought Vinagre on loan in the summer. That hasn't worked out well!

53 minutes ago, RuffRob said:

Maybe Villa will loan us Digne - Umri first signing will be for £10.5M Alex Moreno , another 29 year old LB. 

43 minutes ago, Bailey said:

We brought Vinagre on loan in the summer. That hasn't worked out well!

Would you agree we need some else to give us more of a threat going forward, or are you happy with the way he has been performing.