IGNORED

January Transfer Window

6 hours ago, badaids said:

Glad to see some transfer activity, but it goes to show all that FFP stuff behind the cheapness of Rafa’s transfers was just bollocks no?

No. As has been pointed out we spent practically nothing today and the previous transfers will have been largely paid for tbt the Digne sale. As has also been mention FFP may be done annually so the fresh year may have allowed us more room to spend a little.

43 minutes ago, SpartyBlue said:

No. As has been pointed out we spent practically nothing today and the previous transfers will have been largely paid for tbt the Digne sale. As has also been mention FFP may be done annually so the fresh year may have allowed us more room to spend a little.

Not paying anything for Dele Alli until he plays 20 games - when there are 19 league games remaining and he's cup-tied. This is a clever way to, in effect, pay as if it were a summer transfer when various current members of the squad are out of contract.

1 hour ago, Hafnia said:

No I was serious. James had a deal set up that would have seen him get his contracted money but went to play in a shite league for mega bucks. 

I wonder how long his flight will take to see his daughter now?  Apparently he spent the latter part of his season telling all the players he couldn’t wait to get away. 

To be honest if a deal for a player seems to good to be true it normally is, this is what concerns me about Alli, Spurs will no more about him as player and person than we do, we aren’t getting a player who is a regular in the Spurs team he hasn’t been for years under 3 different managers, it was exactly same with James. It seems some supporters if not most are blinded by the name, like big name trophy hunters or magpies, what we need to remember is these deals were agreed by the selling clubs for a reason and it wasn’t because they were deemed good or of any use to themselves. Some people would do well to remember not all that once glittered is still gold. 

6 minutes ago, Palfy said:

To be honest if a deal for a player seems to good to be true it normally is, this is what concerns me about Alli, Spurs will no more about him as player and person than we do, we aren’t getting a player who is a regular in the Spurs team he hasn’t been for years under 3 different managers, it was exactly same with James. It seems some supporters if not most are blinded by the name, like big name trophy hunters or magpies, what we need to remember is these deals were agreed by the selling clubs for a reason and it wasn’t because they were deemed good or of any use to themselves. Some people would do well to remember not all that once glittered is still gold. 

I think everyone knows that Palfy. The thing with Alli is that he’s still only young, and in the same way that Grays career looks to have improved with a move, if Alli was to find his firm again he would be a great asset to have. If he doesn’t do that then he isn’t cost is very much. 

28 minutes ago, Palfy said:

For sure, "we aren't getting a player who is a regular in the Spurs team." Frankly, we'd have no hope of securing a player who is, especially with zero initial fee. Let's be realistic here. This move is akin to that for Gray: a player who's demonstrated ability but needs to kickstart a career that's lost its way.

1 hour ago, StevO said:

I think everyone knows that Palfy. The thing with Alli is that he’s still only young, and in the same way that Grays career looks to have improved with a move, if Alli was to find his firm again he would be a great asset to have. If he doesn’t do that then he isn’t cost is very much. 

My point being not everyone knows that Steve, quite a few have been gushing about him, I see a player who hasn’t performed in years under various managers, can Lampard be the man to get a tune out of him I hope so, but in all honesty I think that’s a big hope and there’s a greater chance of him not making it here. VDB I have more hope for Utd don’t want to sell because they know and have seen a player with a good future. 

1 hour ago, Palfy said:

My point being not everyone knows that Steve, quite a few have been gushing about him, I see a player who hasn’t performed in years under various managers, can Lampard be the man to get a tune out of him I hope so, but in all honesty I think that’s a big hope and there’s a greater chance of him not making it here. VDB I have more hope for Utd don’t want to sell because they know and have seen a player with a good future. 

I've seen no gushing at all, cautious optimism about the limit of excitement; who's been gushing?

1 hour ago, MikeO said:

I've seen no gushing at all, cautious optimism about the limit of excitement; who's been gushing?

Maybe exaggerated most were optimistic and one was very excited which stuck in my mind, I would love him to be a success but I feel less optimistic than most based on his last few seasons, every manager has given him the opportunity at Spurs but hasn’t taken them, can Lampard get more out of him I can’t see how. I’m with the Spurs fan would love to see him become a success for us, but as he said can’t see it. 

2 hours ago, Palfy said:

Maybe exaggerated most were optimistic and one was very excited which stuck in my mind, I would love him to be a success but I feel less optimistic than most based on his last few seasons, every manager has given him the opportunity at Spurs but hasn’t taken them, can Lampard get more out of him I can’t see how. I’m with the Spurs fan would love to see him become a success for us, but as he said can’t see it. 

For me Alli looks at his best when he is given freedom to play as a number ten or just off the striker and I just don’t think any of Mourinho, Conte or Nuno Esperito were ever going to accommodate him 

Lampard seems to rate and maybe he I prepared to give him that freedom

33 minutes ago, duncanmckenzieismagic said:

For me Alli looks at his best when he is given freedom to play as a number ten or just off the striker and I just don’t think any of Mourinho, Conte or Nuno Esperito were ever going to accommodate him 

Lampard seems to rate and maybe he I prepared to give him that freedom

But that leaves us with the two man midfield we have struggled with under other managers. 

If we look how Lampard is likely to line up then he is going to play 4 at the back, DCL upfront, Richy and Grey, Alli and Van der Beek because he signed them to play, which leaves one space in midfield which will probably be Allan. So it will probably be something like;

4 defenders,

Allan, Alli, Van der Beek

Grey, DCL, Richarlison

Going with 3 mobile high energy pressing players in midfield with mobile centre backs like Godfrey.

Very attacking.....

1 hour ago, Bailey said:

But that leaves us with the two man midfield we have struggled with under other managers. 

He works hard enough off the ball to be part of a three man midfield. We’ve had a two without even an extra attacking player in there who can help out off the ball. Got to have trust the new manager has a plan for him. If he’s going to play a three then one of them needs to have license to attack when we’ve got the ball. 

1 hour ago, London Blue said:

If we look how Lampard is likely to line up then he is going to play 4 at the back, DCL upfront, Richy and Grey, Alli and Van der Beek because he signed them to play, which leaves one space in midfield which will probably be Allan. So it will probably be something like;

4 defenders,

Allan, Alli, Van der Beek

Grey, DCL, Richarlison

Going with 3 mobile high energy pressing players in midfield with mobile centre backs like Godfrey.

Very attacking.....

Where does Gordon fit in the picture? He's become a key player for us.

We're going to have excellent choices in midfield: Allan, Doucoure, Gordon, Gray, Alli, and Van de Beek. Onyango will get chances, I'm sure, while El Ghazi and Townsend might be useful off the bench. There's no longer room for Gomes, Iwobi, Delph, Davies, or Gbamin. Sigurdsson, of course, is long gone. At face value, we suddenly look a lot stronger in midfield.

In defence, I'm hoping (and expect) Patterson, Godfrey, Branthwaite, and Mykolenko to establish themselves as starters, with Mina and Keane swapping in as needed. Coleman's time is up, I think. We need Holgate and Kenny for now to make up the numbers in case of injury, but I would hope they'll be gone in the summer.

Up front, we're very limited and so dependent on DC-L and Richarlison. Dobbin may get his chances, and Tosun is our other backup. As for Rondon, I hope he never plays for Everton again (despite his recent hat-trick for Venezuela). I can see why we were chasing Luka Jovic.

Goalkeeping, no change, and we have decent backup.

8 hours ago, Cornish Steve said:

Where does Gordon fit in the picture? He's become a key player for us.

I think we over worry about our first 11. One of our problem has been lack of decent quality people coming off the bench, when games are streched and legs are tired. That could just as easily be Grey or Richarlison coming of the bench.

Gordon fits in fine. Richarlison maybe off in the no so distant.

I really do see El Ghazi struggling for game time, unless more injuries rear their head again. Its not that he is a bad player, there is just more of our own ahead of him. 

18 hours ago, StevO said:

He works hard enough off the ball to be part of a three man midfield. We’ve had a two without even an extra attacking player in there who can help out off the ball. Got to have trust the new manager has a plan for him. If he’s going to play a three then one of them needs to have license to attack when we’ve got the ball. 

I'm not sure about his work rate. He might but I have seen plenty of times when he hasn't. Its also his discipline of being aware of what is going on around him. 

I think he could play in a 3 man midfield but you wouldnt want him deeper than that.

18 hours ago, duncanmckenzieismagic said:

Or a 4-2-3-1 formation 

A 4231 is essentially what we have been playing as one of the attackers drops in whilst the other leads the line. If they are too high up the pitch and not connected to the midfield, you end up back with the same 2 man midfield problems. 

It will be interesting to see how Lampard goes with it.

I can see people saying a lot of things about Ali not being able to do it for 'years'. It was only 2 seasons ago he started 21 league games and had a return of 12 contributions.
He missed 13 matches due to injury that season.

That's better than anyone of our midfielders could achieve. If he can have a season with that ratio I'd be more than happy with his purchase.

19 hours ago, Aidan said:

I can see people saying a lot of things about Ali not being able to do it for 'years'. It was only 2 seasons ago he started 21 league games and had a return of 12 contributions.
He missed 13 matches due to injury that season.

That's better than anyone of our midfielders could achieve. If he can have a season with that ratio I'd be more than happy with his purchase.

He wont have Kane and Son banging them in from everywhere here though! 

3 hours ago, RPG said:

I knew a RAF Phantom crew (pilot and nav) whose surnames were Novak and Goode

My wife's originally from Plymouth, and there's a well-known family in the city with last name Bastard. One of them, a solicitor with a prominent office on the Hoe, has the first name Robin.

But, as always, we digress.