IGNORED

January Transfer Window

8 minutes ago, Matt said:

Whilst this is all very exciting, where has this money suddenly appeared from? Is this the latest £100m investment?

^ Somewhat curious about this, as well. Seemed we had next to nothing to spend in the summer, so curious why 6 months later we can start paying out meaningful transfer fees - curious if it is because we've rolled over to 2022 and if FFP is judged on annual/multi annual bases. 

2 hours ago, Romey 1878 said:

It's the fucking second one we've signed in this window as well!

Think this joke (you and young keeper's) is a least a decade old now 😂. Here's to the next decade of broken dreams

7 hours ago, StevO said:

Van de Beek is 24, Dele Alli is 25, Mykolenko is 22, Patterson is 20. 

This is the kind of age group to be shopping in. 

Gylfi is 32, Tosun is 30, Delph is 32. 

Progress? Hopefully. 

While your point is taken and I agree for the most part, Gylfi was 27 when we got him, Tosun was 26. Meanwhile, Barry was 32.

Most importantly, none of these guys seem like massive overspends for what we have the potential to get from them.

5 hours ago, nyblue23 said:

While your point is taken and I agree for the most part, Gylfi was 27 when we got him, Tosun was 26. Meanwhile, Barry was 32.

Most importantly, none of these guys seem like massive overspends for what we have the potential to get from them.

I mean because they are leaving in five months. Not the age when we bought them. 

can't really complain, we've added a bit more quality to midfield both of whom can score goals and both who should be keen to impress after being in somewhat flagging careers at present.

They are both a bit of risk in terms of not having been impressing enough at their current Premier league clubs to get regular game time but both look like players that can add something to the team if given the chance and played correclty.

Ali is a bit of an odd one after such a good start to his career becoming an England regular at just 18-19 he dropped off majorly in the last couple of years.  Lampard seems like he was very keen to sign him up so hopefully he believes he knows how to get him firing again and can see a place for him in the team.

The 2 full backs are both a work in progress, Patterson looks the more promising based on what I've seen of him elsewhere and at u23's but hopefully Mykolenko can come good (if Ashley Cole is in as has been mentioned then we have 2 top left backs to mentor him if he's got it in him!).

I'm surprised no one left but the players we really want rid of I imagine we had no one wanting them! 😂

Probably better to hold on to players till the end of the season anyway for numbers and give Lampard a chance to see if there's any under performing players that are worth another shot.

7 hours ago, Cornish Steve said:

I'd say we had an excellent window. I'm really not sure about El Ghazi, but maybe he too will be invigorated by the optimism that's suddenly flowing through the club.

6 hours ago, nyblue23 said:

I wouldn’t mind him warming the bench for the U-23s with Rondon, to be honest.

I can't see him getting much game time at all tbh. Creative accounting on Villa's part I think - they needed his wages shifting to be able to get Digne in, and we needed/wanted to get Digne out.

1 hour ago, Palfy said:

You may have said in jest but possibly very true there was a deal going on there but James wouldn’t do the deal for the club he said he wanted to return to due to pure greed. 

No I was serious. James had a deal set up that would have seen him get his contracted money but went to play in a shite league for mega bucks. 

I wonder how long his flight will take to see his daughter now?  Apparently he spent the latter part of his season telling all the players he couldn’t wait to get away.