IGNORED

Ben Godfrey

2 hours ago, Palfy said:

I thought he acquitted himself very well for his first introduction to the team, in what was not his normal position against an on point Liverpool team, and up against Mane, not a to difficult first game was it.Β 

Fuck me apologies I was silly enough to think this was the Godfrey thread, not the Mina!!! Wankers?πŸ˜‚

17 minutes ago, Romey 1878 said:

Just back to Godfrey for a moment - an underrated moment from yesterday was watching Henderson's head bounce off him and Godfrey barely even noticed he'd been touched and looked confused as to why Henderson was horizontal :lol:Β .

Yeah I clocked that, which prompted me to say what a good strong athlete he looks.Β  Henderson is a solid lad so it indicates a good attribute

On 17/10/2020 at 19:27, Finn balor said:

Don’t see it as Mina being flashy he was running the other way and the ball came across and he tried to get something on it. It just fell to salah who buried it. Godfrey was good today. Couple of good blocks. Good on the ball. Didn’t look out of place at allΒ 

You see this quite a lot to be honest. If it comes off, everyone raves about how skillful he is. If it doesn't, it well ends up like this. I have seen plenty of very good players do the same thing, in fact I am pretty sure VVD did it a couple of weeks ago!Β 

On 17/10/2020 at 19:23, c1982 said:

That back healed lazy/flashy β€˜clearance’ he did today seems like a bad habit - not the first time he’s done it today. It needs coaching out of him as I remember moaning about it in the past!!! I think he’s a good player and clearly a positive character in the dressing room but he does worry me in a John Stones (who I really like as a player still) type way!

I don't think it is being flashy or lazy but more about wanting to get something on the ball with his dominant foot. A left footer hooks that ball away a lot easier and I still think that is what he should have done but at the same time I could also see him skew it into the top corner!

On 17/10/2020 at 23:00, London Blue said:

Just seen it again on MOTD, and there was nothing else he could do, just unlucky it went to Salah. I thought he played well apart from that.

I thought he played alright and despite my comments above, the important thing that he needed to do was get the ball to safety and in the end it went straight to the one man you don't want it to go to inside the box. Ironically he would have probably been better served by not touching it at all!Β 

• 4 weeks later...
3 minutes ago, Matt said:

Is and never will be a RB, he looked completely lost today. I’d give him a game in the centre, drop Mina and put Holgate at RB until Seamus is back. But never again at RB.Β 

he wasn't a RB today, he was RCB in aΒ  back 3.Β  he was shaky but so were keane and mina.Β  we need a solid vet (thiago silva would have been great) to be steady and learn from.

Just now, Matt said:

Did he? I only ever saw him in the RB position. But to be more clear, he should be the RCB in a 4

Yeh he was definitely RCB in a 5 with Iwobi as the RWB.Β 

Personally I think he will make the same naive mistakes in a traditional CB position.Β 

He is just rough around the edges and needs time to learn and develop. It feels to me that his physical and technicalΒ ability has got him to this level and he just needs to learn how to defend a bit better. I'm sure it will come.Β 

21 minutes ago, Bailey said:

Yeh he was definitely RCB in a 5 with Iwobi as the RWB.Β 

Personally I think he will make the same naive mistakes in a traditional CB position.Β 

He is just rough around the edges and needs time to learn and develop. It feels to me that his physical and technicalΒ ability has got him to this level and he just needs to learn how to defend a bit better. I'm sure it will come.Β 

I know he was on paper but he rarely seemed central in any way toΒ me. Agree with the rest though.Β 

9 hours ago, Romey 1878 said:

Three at the back just is not a good formation for us. I wish it would go away.

Possibly not but there are good reasons why he has implemented it, our 2 CD don’t play as a tight unit against Utd the space between Keane and Holgate was embarrassing, so by playing 3 CD he’s looking to close the space in the middle of our penalty area which isΒ killing us.Β