IGNORED

Ben Godfrey

14 hours ago, Romey 1878 said:

Three at the back just is not a good formation for us. I wish it would go away.

I like 3 at the back but it requires the right kind of personal. I don’t think we had it. Maybe when we had Jags, Distin and Heigtinga but right now our CB’s don’t deal with danger efficiently enough.

On 23/11/2020 at 09:12, Romey 1878 said:

Three at the back just is not a good formation for us. I wish it would go away.

I just can't get my head around why any team would want to play three centre backs. There are some sides that play the system a little differently such as Sheffield Utd with their overlapping centre backs and Arsenal where Tierney still attacks like a full bank despite playing at centre half.

It just doesn't make any sense to me to play with 3 actual centre backs playing as actual centre backs.

21 minutes ago, Bailey said:

I just can't get my head around why any team would want to play three centre backs. There are some sides that play the system a little differently such as Sheffield Utd with their overlapping centre backs and Arsenal where Tierney still attacks like a full bank despite playing at centre half.

It just doesn't make any sense to me to play with 3 actual centre backs playing as actual centre backs.

I think it’s fairly obvious why he did it although it might not have gotten the desired effect defensively we were much better as an attacking force, but more importantly for me it shows just how poor we are in the CD department we need an upgrade in players in that area desperately. 

2 hours ago, Bailey said:

Not sure why, but I burst out laughing at this! Very Catch-22 type sentence.

Bailey: It just doesn't make any sense to me to play with 3 actual centre backs playing as actual centre backs.

Carlo: You'd rather we play full backs as centre backs?

Bailey: Haven't we tried that?

Carlo: Or centre backs as full backs?

Bailey: Er...no.

Carlo: Then we're playing centre backs as centre backs, right?

Bailey: Okay, but why three of them?

Carlo: Because it's the system. And they're also not very good. Got it?

2 hours ago, London Blue said:

If we had used Holgate,  Kean and Godfrey it would have worked better  as Holgate is more aggressive in snuffing out danger.

Holgate and Godfrey as the wider 2, their pace allows them to cover the wide area and up against full backs. I’d probably go Mina in centre at the moment but he and Keane are causing so many issues for us. Zouma would be perfect for this to work in my opinion.

5 hours ago, Palfy said:

I think it’s fairly obvious why he did it although it might not have gotten the desired effect defensively we were much better as an attacking force, but more importantly for me it shows just how poor we are in the CD department we need an upgrade in players in that area desperately. 

Playing 5 at the back doesn't make the side defend any better in my opinion. 

3 hours ago, Formby said:

Not sure why, but I burst out laughing at this! Very Catch-22 type sentence.

Bailey: It just doesn't make any sense to me to play with 3 actual centre backs playing as actual centre backs.

Carlo: You'd rather we play full backs as centre backs?

Bailey: Haven't we tried that?

Carlo: Or centre backs as full backs?

Bailey: Er...no.

Carlo: Then we're playing centre backs as centre backs, right?

Bailey: Okay, but why three of them?

Carlo: Because it's the system. And they're also not very good. Got it?

🤣

Don't get me wrong, I don’t necessarily agree with the other sides doing it either but at least I can see the tactical merit in playing that way. It looks like 5 at the back but actually it isn't. Its only 5 at the back when you defend but not when you attack. 

If you attack with 3 centre backs playing as centre backs you just lose an attacking player and in my opinion you don't shore up the defence any better. The argument is that you get a wing back further up the pitch, but you can achieve the same feat with 4 at the back. 

It is just a tactic that has come into the game a lot more commonly since Conte came into the league and I have seen a lot more sides play it poorly that I have play it well. 

1 hour ago, Bailey said:

Playing 5 at the back doesn't make the side defend any better in my opinion. 

🤣

Don't get me wrong, I don’t necessarily agree with the other sides doing it either but at least I can see the tactical merit in playing that way. It looks like 5 at the back but actually it isn't. Its only 5 at the back when you defend but not when you attack. 

If you attack with 3 centre backs playing as centre backs you just lose an attacking player and in my opinion you don't shore up the defence any better. The argument is that you get a wing back further up the pitch, but you can achieve the same feat with 4 at the back. 

It is just a tactic that has come into the game a lot more commonly since Conte came into the league and I have seen a lot more sides play it poorly that I have play it well. 

But 2 CD hasn’t been working for us if you hadn’t noticed we have one of the worst defensive records in the league this season, Carlo would dearly love to play that way but we haven’t got a half decent pairing between them, hence he has to try something different we can’t keep shipping goals and not try to do something about it. 

7 minutes ago, Palfy said:

But 2 CD hasn’t been working for us if you hadn’t noticed we have one of the worst defensive records in the league this season, Carlo would dearly love to play that way but we haven’t got a half decent pairing between them, hence he has to try something different we can’t keep shipping goals and not try to do something about it. 

5th worst in the league goals against.  i didn't believe you, i looked it up.  you're right, defense is BAD

I’m not that concerned long term about the CBs at the moment. They’ve gotten a completely new midfield in front of them, Holgate has been out for a while and will be getting up to speed, Coleman being out has had a big impact and James not really doing any defensive work doesn’t help either. Doucoure and Allan are excellent at closing down but there’s definite improvement for tracking runners from their side and communication from the CB. Just need the stupidity snuffing out 

On 24/11/2020 at 21:30, Palfy said:

Those goals aren't down to the centre backs though. Yes they have their hands to play in the goals but most of the goals have started from mistakes from those in front of them. From what I have seen there is a lot of miscommunication between the midfield and defence. Neither the CB's nor the midfielders are sure whether they should be tracking, sitting in, pushing out or getting tight.

I think we are still in the bedding in phase. Lots of new players, new tactics and an unsettled side. It will either stick and we will settle down and start conceding less goals or it will eat away at the players and it will go the way it did for Martinez!

On 26/11/2020 at 14:26, Bailey said:

Those goals aren't down to the centre backs though. Yes they have their hands to play in the goals but most of the goals have started from mistakes from those in front of them. From what I have seen there is a lot of miscommunication between the midfield and defence. Neither the CB's nor the midfielders are sure whether they should be tracking, sitting in, pushing out or getting tight.

I think we are still in the bedding in phase. Lots of new players, new tactics and an unsettled side. It will either stick and we will settle down and start conceding less goals or it will eat away at the players and it will go the way it did for Martinez!

Isn’t it so why did we go with 3 CBs, I think it was because the space and misunderstanding between our CBs when we only played 2 was exposing us and we were conceding easy goals in the centre of our area. 
Let’s be honest Ancelotti made that change in formation and he said it himself because of the space we were allowing between the CBS, they don’t work in tandem together half the time there’s no connection between them and neither has a clue what the others doing or were his partner is. 

4 hours ago, Palfy said:

Isn’t it so why did we go with 3 CBs, I think it was because the space and misunderstanding between our CBs when we only played 2 was exposing us and we were conceding easy goals in the centre of our area. 
Let’s be honest Ancelotti made that change in formation and he said it himself because of the space we were allowing between the CBS, they don’t work in tandem together half the time there’s no connection between them and neither has a clue what the others doing or were his partner is. 

He has talked about wanting to be compact but you can be compact with 4 or 5. You can give too much space with 4 or 5 as well. I think the Fulham game proved that because we saw Godfrey getting pulled into areas he didn't need to be and then Keane not getting tight when he needed to. 

If you don't have a connection with 4 then adding another man in there isn't going to improve that connection and if anything it can make it worse because its another chef in the kitchen. 

Personally I don't think it matters who or how many play. I think they need more time on the training ground to get it right.

6 hours ago, Bailey said:

He has talked about wanting to be compact but you can be compact with 4 or 5. You can give too much space with 4 or 5 as well. I think the Fulham game proved that because we saw Godfrey getting pulled into areas he didn't need to be and then Keane not getting tight when he needed to. 

If you don't have a connection with 4 then adding another man in there isn't going to improve that connection and if anything it can make it worse because its another chef in the kitchen. 

Personally I don't think it matters who or how many play. I think they need more time on the training ground to get it right.

I think we are screaming out for a CB who takes responsibility and sets a clear example. Neither Keane nor Mina seem interested in being that player. Interesting to see how it plays out in the coming weeks though. 

9 hours ago, Bailey said:

The 3 CBS were to plug the caps in the area where most of our goals are conceded from in the centre of our goal, yes Godfrey was being pulled out to the right touch line far too often, that at times made it look like he was playing as a natural right back, if Iwobi was caught upfield you would expect him to do that someone has to go to the man out wide with the ball, yet he was going there even if Iwobi was in a good position.

But what should happen when Godfrey goes wide is Keane goes to cover the area Godfrey leaves Mina Keanes area and Digne covers Mina’s area that doesn’t happen with us. 
A great example of that was against Utd and the Fer goal Keanes got himself in a infective position 2 yards past the front post facing the the touch line eyes on the ball oblivious to the space between him and Holgate and the unmarked central area of our box, Holgate is marking his man at the far post he’s watching the game unfold in front of him yet doesn’t move to the danger which was to close the space and block off the area the man runs into and scores from, if he leaves his man it is possible that the ball goes longer and his man is open but that is when Digne comes in and drops on Holgate’s man, the back line and in particular the CBs have to be able to read the game and be quick to react, unfortunately ours don’t we have no leader and a lot of poor decision making going on, due in most to players not switched on to the ability required in the PL. 

4 hours ago, Btay said:

I think we are screaming out for a CB who takes responsibility and sets a clear example. Neither Keane nor Mina seem interested in being that player. Interesting to see how it plays out in the coming weeks though. 

We need a Jags in there, an organiser.

I have two 8 year old defenders that watch each other’s position when they move backwards and forwards.... they move to get her for the most part. They are 8 years old, don’t even play offside till next year but I’m getting them ready. 

38 minutes ago, Shukes said:

We need a Jags in there, an organiser.

I have two 8 year old defenders that watch each other’s position when they move backwards and forwards.... they move to get her for the most part. They are 8 years old, don’t even play offside till next year but I’m getting them ready. 

What the fuck are you training?!

10 hours ago, Btay said:

Completely agree. Its potentially the quality Holgate can bring when he is fully up to speed but there are still questions as to whether he is a good enough defender at this level. 

When you look at one of the better sides playing 5 at the back, Coady never stops talking and organising. I don't how Mina could do the same when I believe his English isn't great. It must be difficult.

• 2 weeks later...