IGNORED

Who Would You Like to be Sold in the Summer 21’ Window?

Who to Sell in Summer 21’?  

36 members have voted

1. 1. Who would you happily sell this summer?

It makes me feel that we have been out of control when buying players, due in main to managers who lack experience in building a team and two DoF who have helped facilitate and possibly encouraged the purchase of a unbalanced team. 
Then you look at the players that Ancelotti has been involved in bringing to the club and not one as received a vote to sell, I believe Brands would have suggested Godfrey and Ancelotti did say that Brands did suggest Doucoure to him, so not all bad from Brands with Digne a huge plus and Niels a possible star of the future. Hopefully with Ancelotti driving the recruitment we will get more buys right than wrong instead of the usual more wrong than right of previous seasons. 

15 hours ago, StevO said:

As we have struggled to even get a decent back up right back for the last few years, getting two new right backs would be a nightmare. 

Not to mention he is more capable it seems than holgate to come into the team and perform at decent level straight away. Solid, consistent pro - excellent back up imo 

2 hours ago, Romey 1878 said:

Absolutely no problem with Coleman sticking around and being back-up. It just needed to happen a year or two ago because at times he's been painful to watch.

He has been over played for sure but he isn’t a bad option to have. I don’t think Holgates attitude would support the back up role whereas Coleman would be excellent 

2 hours ago, Romey 1878 said:

Absolutely no problem with Coleman sticking around and being back-up. It just needed to happen a year or two ago because at times he's been painful to watch.

I agree - the Baines to Digne transition was seamless (Seamus??? too obscure) but I think we’ve messed about at right-back - maybe as there was hope that Kenny would step up but I can’t see that happening. Get Kenny sold and bring a top quality, young right back in who Seamus can help settle in and cover the odd game. We’ve seen a few times this season, that Coleman can actually come on and have a positive impact late in games. Think it was the Spurs cup game where he came off the bench and was incredible!

• 2 weeks later...

No surprises here really - not a single vote for the 4 first team signings made in Ancelotti’s time plus Digne and DCL. Plus the core players of Pickford, Richarlison, etc with very few votes. Another window where the new signings become our ‘best’ players and we’ll be right up there.

1 hour ago, Cisk said:

Happy to sell: Mina, Delph, Gomes, Iwobi, Kean

Sad to sell: Bernard

Wouldn't be gutted to see leave: Richarlison

I'd be sad to see Mina, Gomes and Bernard leave but would understand such a decision.

Richarlison I think could be lethal with a better XI around him, one we must keep hold of IMO (if even only for a season longer).

6 hours ago, c1982 said:

No surprises here really - not a single vote for the 4 first team signings made in Ancelotti’s time plus Digne and DCL. Plus the core players of Pickford, Richarlison, etc with very few votes. Another window where the new signings become our ‘best’ players and we’ll be right up there.

100% 

I don’t know who will buy them.  Andre Gomes maybe a lower Spanish side but they don’t have a ton of money, we get 10m for him to a Valencia or Villarreal?  Iwobi were stuck with unless someone is dumb enough to pay 15m for him I doubt we could get more than that.  

this is the problem, we’ll get a pittance back from these sales, sell the bad apples and we’d have enough to buy maybe 2 proper players.  I think we’ll have to use the youngsters or we will be shackled with keeping some of the scrubs.

33 minutes ago, markjazzbassist said:

I don’t know who will buy them.  Andre Gomes maybe a lower Spanish side but they don’t have a ton of money, we get 10m for him to a Valencia or Villarreal?  Iwobi were stuck with unless someone is dumb enough to pay 15m for him I doubt we could get more than that.  

this is the problem, we’ll get a pittance back from these sales, sell the bad apples and we’d have enough to buy maybe 2 proper players.  I think we’ll have to use the youngsters or we will be shackled with keeping some of the scrubs.

Haha how can you go into one thread and moan that Brands hasn’t sold these players, then come in this one and say you don’t know who will buy them? So you do understand the problem Brands has with trying to sell poor quality players on fat contracts? 

7 minutes ago, StevO said:

Haha how can you go into one thread and moan that Brands hasn’t sold these players, then come in this one and say you don’t know who will buy them? So you do understand the problem Brands has with trying to sell poor quality players on fat contracts? 

the problem i already stated is he  bought them in the first place.  we wouldn't be stuck if he recruited better.

3 hours ago, Cornish Steve said:

I'm surprised no-one else chose Digne. He was largely to blame yesterday for the goal, lost possession several times, and has the fewest points of any starter in our MotM thread.

He’s statistically been the best left-back in the league in each of his 3 seasons here.

2 minutes ago, pete0 said:

The head to head statistics are all attacking ones. Bit weird to focus on them when looking at a defender.

That’s an image for a link - I’d guess defensive and attacking stats are considered when doing the full rating - but I guess the displayed stats fit the narrative of the article.

5 minutes ago, c1982 said:

That’s an image for a link - I’d guess defensive and attacking stats are considered when doing the full rating - but I guess the displayed stats fit the narrative of the article.

Unsure how they work it out but looking at his highest rating there seems to be more weight towards attacking than defending. He got 2 assists in a game we also conceded 2 goals. 

https://www.whoscored.com/Players/89925/MatchStatistics/Lucas-Digne

14 hours ago, StevO said:

I don’t think there are many full backs in that list who are known for their defending anyway. 
If anyone thinks we are picking up a better left back than Digne I think they just might be crazy. 

Bingo.

We have literally no players on the right hand side who offer any consistency let alone real ability. We need to get that sorted before we think about selling our left back with 9 assists this year 

16 hours ago, Cornish Steve said:

Can you quote the stats, because he's been disappointing in most of the recent games I've watched. For example, he was totally out of position when the Blades scored their goal.

I don't agree with that. In the split second that Godfrey makes his move, Digne is keeping his eye on the deeper player. He doesn't know that Godfrey is going to make the move he does. There is an argument to say he might have done things slightly differently but whether he could have stopped the goal would be a very different question.

16 hours ago, c1982 said:

To be fair, the modern full-back is an attacking position. Centre backs and ‘defensive’ midfielders will dominate the tackles/ defensive stats.

Not for us! :)

As for Digne, I think he has struggled not having someone consistently playing in front of him. Digne's best performances come when he is linking up with the wide player and overlapping to get the cross in. This was the same with Baines before him. As much as I love Baines, he wouldn't have been anywhere near as effective without Pienaar or Osman playing ahead or around him.

It is also a lot more difficult for a full back in a back 5. In a 4 he has the centre back and the winger ahead of him. In a back 5 he has no-one ahead of him so he has to work out does he drop deep or does he press the full back or winger, or whoever it is.

I have no problems with Digne, he will come good when the conditions are right for him to play good football again.

On 04/05/2021 at 19:38, Wiggytop said:

In order of who I’d most like to sell:

Delph, liability on the pitch which is very rare ( thankfully)

Bernard too lightweight for the PL

Iwobi, runs sideways and can’t cross a ball

Kean doesn’t want to be here, and never did by the looks of it

Mina injury prone and scary to watch

I would keep Holgate as a squad player can play a number of positions, I’m on the fence with Gylfi and Gomes, as a paring far too slow, with more athletic partner they have decent skills.

If we could bring in the player Btay lists we could be a real threat next season.

I’d like to update my thoughts after the last few games.

Holgate can go, his “I’m really good” attitude and lack of care put us on the back foot against Villa, and nearly cost another goal on Sunday, he doesn’t seem to be able to learn from his mistakes.

Gylfi and Gomes haven’t upped their game when needed, no clear desire to win important games, I’ve started climbing down the selling side of the fence now.

Holgate -  loads of talent but attitude sucks.

Delph - Need I say more?

Gylphi - Squad player so keep.

Gomes - Been playing better, a good midfielder and important squad member.

Bernard -Lovely guy but needs to go.

Iwobi - Talent but no end product, not even a serious choice so must go.

Kean - Never really here and doesn't want to be.

King - Who?

Coleman - Mr Everton a squad player and leader so he stays.

Mina - Keep if Holgate goes or sell if he wants to go but need a new CB then.

Braithwaite - Loan

Gordon - Loan.