IGNORED

Conor Coady

4 hours ago, RuffRob said:

https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/wolves-everton-transfer-conor-coady-24692973?fbclid=IwAR0zeeQUjslGuNzl1fSZ3Z_Hv_9JdUrAq8-siWueHjDzyTgZWp0HNem5jXE

Wolves fans rate him and most think we have picked there pockets having him in our squad this season. 

He instantly improved a back three . Whoever lines up next to Tarkowski and Coady at the back will know about it if they fuck up and I am pretty sure it will improve them as players themselves by having two strong leader next to them  - having these two as your senior CB's could massively impact Godfrey, Holgate and Branthwaithe.

To me the bar for getting on the pitch and what is going to be expected as a CB for Everton has been raised up massively this summer.

I see Holgate benefiting the most from these two around him. Hopefully they knock that little bit of arrogance out of him and he can focus on his football. The lad has the ability, hopefully he gets the mentality from these two now.

Just now, Btay said:

I see Holgate benefiting the most from these two around him. Hopefully they knock that little bit of arrogance out of him and he can focus on his football. The lad has the ability, hopefully he gets the mentality from these two now.

I don’t mind the arrogance so much. He had it 3 years ago when he was looking like future England material. I did think he played better down the stretch last season and in his appearance over the weekend so perhaps he’s already getting some of that maturity you’re alluding to. He will certainly have some good examples now.

Just now, SpartyBlue said:

I don’t mind the arrogance so much. He had it 3 years ago when he was looking like future England material. I did think he played better down the stretch last season and in his appearance over the weekend so perhaps he’s already getting some of that maturity you’re alluding to. He will certainly have some good examples now.

He has no right to be arrogant though in my opinion. The strutting around & over confidence for lack of performance really annoys me. There’s a fine line between confidence & arrogance though, regardless if he can get everything right there’s a very good player in there.

8 minutes ago, Btay said:

He has no right to be arrogant though in my opinion. The strutting around & over confidence for lack of performance really annoys me. There’s a fine line between confidence & arrogance though, regardless if he can get everything right there’s a very good player in there.

I think it’s one of those things where if you are performing well it looks like confidence and if you are performing poorly it looks like arrogance and a detriment. It only bothers me if it is effecting performance. Would be nice if he got back to his best.

2 hours ago, Btay said:

Coincidentally, I was reading some Zlatan quotes the other day. One of the most arrogant players to ever live. Mostly backed it up though. 

On 08/08/2022 at 14:32, Shukes said:

I’m sure even our back line can walk up when our mid and forwards press haha .

Trust me, he isn’t getting in players like Gana and Onana to get them to sit.

If so… then let’s just sack Thelwell now because he must be either stupid…. Or along the same lines of football tactics and both yourself and Palfy 😉

The pushing up isn't a problem, it will be the running back! We played deep at the weekend, even with quicker CBs and two equally energetic midfielders.

I think the opposite, I see the likes of Onana and Gana as having the energy to get forward and back so that they can spring forward from these deeper positions and then get back into those positions when they lose the ball.

I will be amazed if we start seeing either of those players anywhere near the half way line most games this season (corners and half time aside :) )

22 minutes ago, StevO said:

He’s a leader and he’s a strong character. Honestly think Frank saw us last season and decided we needed to be tougher, in a footballing sense and in a personality sense. 
If we’re playing with a back three he should slot in easily enough. 

Like Tarkowski, he hardly ever misses a game. 

I wonder who will have the final say on the positioning of the defence, Tarkowski took the responsibility to be the voice in defence last Saturday and with direction to those around him, but I can see Coady wanting to be the leader in the back line it’s what he’s use to as well, it will be interesting to see who takes general control because you can’t have 2 voices or opinions that would only create confusion. 

38 minutes ago, Palfy said:

I wonder who will have the final say on the positioning of the defence, Tarkowski took the responsibility to be the voice in defence last Saturday and with direction to those around him, but I can see Coady wanting to be the leader in the back line it’s what he’s use to as well, it will be interesting to see who takes general control because you can’t have 2 voices or opinions that would only create confusion. 

They are both professionals. Captains. I expect there to not be an issue in working that out.

This leader thing is becoming a buzzword. Remember when we brought in 4 captains in Williams, Klaassen, Rooney and Siggy? That was to bring leadship to the pitch too and we all know how that went. 

Is he a fast, strong defender? Latter yeah, former no. I'm just hoping he plays well and isn't just another voice for the sake of leadership. That's my concern. 

6 hours ago, Matt said:

This leader thing is becoming a buzzword. Remember when we brought in 4 captains in Williams, Klaassen, Rooney and Siggy? That was to bring leadship to the pitch too and we all know how that went. 

Is he a fast, strong defender? Latter yeah, former no. I'm just hoping he plays well and isn't just another voice for the sake of leadership. That's my concern. 

This is a bit different. This is premier league captains who still have something to give. I don’t think anyone can question we were well organized at the back vs. Chelsea with Tarkowski back there. 

Fair point that leadership for its own sake isn’t worth a ton but we seem to be going after guys with that character who can also play.

With Tarkowski and Coady, we're going to have one of the strongest defensive pairings in the league. I've admired these two players for some time (and let's not forget they are both England internationals), and bringing the two of them in is sheer brilliance. Take a risk on bringing in one or two of the U-23s in other areas of the team and I'm getting increasingly excited about our prospects for the future. The turn-around is imminent.

9 hours ago, SpartyBlue said:

This is a bit different. This is premier league captains who still have something to give. I don’t think anyone can question we were well organized at the back vs. Chelsea with Tarkowski back there. 

Fair point that leadership for its own sake isn’t worth a ton but we seem to be going after guys with that character who can also play.

3 of the 4 I mentioned were Premier league captains too. 

That interview I just posted sounds promising. 

17 hours ago, StevO said:

He’s a leader and he’s a strong character. Honestly think Frank saw us last season and decided we needed to be tougher, in a footballing sense and in a personality sense. 
If we’re playing with a back three he should slot in easily enough. 

Like Tarkowski, he hardly ever misses a game. 

It is definitely one of those signings where you can just see exactly what management were thinking when they signed him, especially knowing how they want us to play this season.

17 hours ago, Palfy said:

Even against Chelsea, Mina was organising just as much as Tarkowski so it wont be a problem. Pickford is always in there barking away too. I have never played in a sports team where there was too much communication.

9 hours ago, SpartyBlue said:

We were well organised back there at the end of last season with Keane, Holgate and Branthwaite. It is so much easier to be organised when you are sitting deep. Ultimately though it was our lack of organisation that caught us out for the penalty, Holgate leaving his area, and Mina and Tarkowski marking one man. It was all over the place before the initial cross came in too. It really was a very avoidable situation that we got ourselves into.

I have attached the link below - the build up starts at 3.52, albeit you miss the first bit where they just work the ball around our 3 defenders in the corner and play it out. You see Mykolenko organising but Tarkowski pretty much ignores him :doh: and poor Gordon gets left 2 v 1. Mykolenko is left with no chance to get out, Havertz beats Mina in the air and should do better with his finish, Sterling nearly gets on the end of that with no-one around him (Patterson leaving him alone). Patterson does well to chase Sterling out but should never have tried the tackle he did but his work allows us to get back into shape. Holgate then gets distracted and as I say, Mina and Tarkowski are left marking one man.

You get a similar warning down the left not that long before with the disallowed goal. Tarkowski slow to react giving Havertz? time to have an easy touch in the box, Mykolenko not close enough to stop the pass from James across the box and Doucoure slow to react (again).

Watching this back again, the covering block from Mykolenko at the end was proper class. Really good reading of the game, stopping a certain goal.

The real test regarding our organisation is to come, especially in games where we try and play further up the pitch.

Revealing interview by Conor and being honest that he's conscious of World Cup places to be decided. Intelligent lad, I get the feeling that Kevin and especially Frank are taking character into account as well as football ability with the transfers this window.

2 hours ago, Gwlad all over said:

Revealing interview by Conor and being honest that he's conscious of World Cup places to be decided. Intelligent lad, I get the feeling that Kevin and especially Frank are taking character into account as well as football ability with the transfers this window.

I agree. And that has to be a good thing. The characters we've seen come in so far are inspiring.