IGNORED

Everton Player of the Decade

MikeO

Not going to make this a poll because I'll probably miss some obvious ones but as we approach the end of 2019 who has been our best/most loved/most influential player in the last ten years? The Echo has a poll on this and bizarrely it's a choice between two, Baines and Lukaku(?); not surprisingly Leighton has 90% of the vote on that, don't know what the other 10% are thinking.

Has to be Baines for me with Seamus and Jags making up the top three. 

#NotRom 

If you're talking about the whole decade then Leighton Baines and Phil Jagielka are the only options really as everyone else either hadn't arrived or left before the decade was done. 

Tim Howard will always get my vote in polls like this though, absolutely "got" what it was to represent Everton and was criminally underrated for most of his time here. Would have loved eleven Tim's on the pitch for his passion and attitude alone. Reading his autobiography just made me in awe of him even more too, a true inspiration. 

15 minutes ago, Zoo 2.0 said:

If you're talking about the whole decade then Leighton Baines and Phil Jagielka are the only options really as everyone else either hadn't arrived or left before the decade was done. 

Tim Howard will always get my vote in polls like this though, absolutely "got" what it was to represent Everton and was criminally underrated for most of his time here. Would have loved eleven Tim's on the pitch for his passion and attitude alone. Reading his autobiography just made me in awe of him even more too, a true inspiration. 

IIRC you were/are a goalkeeper though Zoo so as part of the "union" you're biased:D

26 minutes ago, Zoo 2.0 said:

Good shout 😎

1 hour ago, barryj said:

Arteta left nearly a decade ago so he’d do well to get in with about a year this decade! 😂

Baines for me. 

I know left in 2011 if he would have done a week in this decade I would have still put him as our best player in this decade, second thoughts even one day 😀

57 minutes ago, Aidan said:

Pienaar is a good shout too. 

Is this the same Pienaar that left for Spurs only to come back six months later, tail between his legs to do the square root of not much in his second stint? 

One of the best players I've seen in his first chapter with us however it's never sat well with me how he left/rejoined the club. You've got to admit that he was fantastic because of his telepathic relationship with Leighton Baines who many are voting as their player of the decade, not in the conversation is Steven for me. 

4 hours ago, MikeO said:

IIRC you were/are a goalkeeper though Zoo so as part of the "union" you're biased:D

Indeed mate! Was a goalkeeper at grassroots/academy level but now coach, for the purpose of this thread, "no comment" however 😂!

4 hours ago, Sibdane said:

Good shout 😎

😁👍

All the best ones weren't here long enough. Fellaini, Arteta, Lukaku, McCarthy (before the injuries, although even when not fully fit in the match were he broke his leg he stood out for his commitment), and on the days his feet weren't stuck in the mud Barry. 

Baines, Coleman, and Howard bleed blue but should have been replaced earlier. They may be contenders for most loved, but don't come close in influencing games or being the best. 

3 hours ago, Palfy said:

I know left in 2011 if he would have done a week in this decade I would have still put him as our best player in this decade, second thoughts even one day 😀

I think it’s just different peoples interpretation of what the player of the decade should be 😂 

For me a player of the decade needs to be a player that has played consistently well for our club for a sustained part of the decade. I loved Tim and he would be my player of the last two decades but as he only played a season in this decade I can’t give it to him when Baines has played them all at a consistently good level. Each to their own it’s what makes Toffeetalk tick. 

...............but he can’t be allowed! 😉

8 hours ago, pete0 said:

All the best ones weren't here long enough. Fellaini, Arteta, Lukaku, McCarthy (before the injuries, although even when not fully fit in the match were he broke his leg he stood out for his commitment), and on the days his feet weren't stuck in the mud Barry. 

Baines, Coleman, and Howard bleed blue but should have been replaced earlier. They may be contenders for most loved, but don't come close in influencing games or being the best. 

So that’s your opinion on who shouldn’t get it. So who should?

25 minutes ago, StevO said:

So that’s your opinion on who shouldn’t get it. So who should?

I'd have to change the question to in the last decade. Then it would probably be Fellaini, even though Arteta was more talented I'd say the big fella had more influence on games to edge it. That said Lukaku off the pitch was probs the most influential media wise for getting the club noticed, so depends if you account for that as well. 

Baines I can only think the two free kicks against West ham, other than that not many stand out preformances were he's put a stamp on it. Good steady player but not kicked in since him and pienaar being found out. Howard was a negative influence in the end conceding far too many goals than he should. Out of three Coleman has probs been the most influential with a tackle or odd goal to get the team fired up but he's far from being the best. 

4 hours ago, pete0 said:

I'd have to change the question to in the last decade. Then it would probably be Fellaini, even though Arteta was more talented I'd say the big fella had more influence on games to edge it. That said Lukaku off the pitch was probs the most influential media wise for getting the club noticed, so depends if you account for that as well. 

Baines I can only think the two free kicks against West ham, other than that not many stand out preformances were he's put a stamp on it. Good steady player but not kicked in since him and pienaar being found out. Howard was a negative influence in the end conceding far too many goals than he should. Out of three Coleman has probs been the most influential with a tackle or odd goal to get the team fired up but he's far from being the best. 

Still more of who shouldn’t get it. 
Just give us a name Pete 😂

4 hours ago, pete0 said:

I swear your kids pick up your phone every now and again for a laugh.

Baines? What about all the other beauty’s he scored? What about being one of the top assists in Europe? What about his telepathic partnership that won games on their own with Pienaar?

But you’ve even beat that!

Lukaku had influence by getting into us noticed with his constant media talk of leaving? What planet are you actually from? Because there is no way it can be this one haha.

PeteO, please never change, the world would be a boring place without you 😉