IGNORED

Oumar Niasse

If you look at whats happening in American Football, players ther are sacked for being convicted of domestic violence.

Even proper football, a few days ago a Jamaican international with 5 goals in 6 games was sacked for kicking an opponent during a game.

While its right that the legal system decides on who is guilty and the punishment for those crimes, society in general has a role to play in making these crimes become unacceptable.

Players are role models and clubs have to show their fans and the communities that they will not tolerate their staff committing these offenses. This then re-enforces the courts decision. It is also Everton demonstrating that they do not wish to be associated with people who are convicted of domestic violence offenses.

Lastly if he is convicted he would be bringing the club into disrepute, a sack-able offense in many companies.

Well we as society don't accept such crimes do we?! That's why the police get called and the courts decide the verdict and the punishment. That's the whole point.

And if we are using footballers as role models, we have to question our parenting. The parent is the role model. The footballer, movie star, singer etc is the easy excuse for blame when things go wrong. It's what we do these days, good old blame culture. My boys will hear of these things happening through out their lives...if they go onto to do it, it's not a footballers fault.

And this is the classical cross over between football clubs and your everyday company...the same rules don't apply. Clearly a player won't be sacked for such an offence....Danny Simpson has just win the league having been convicted. And there are numerous examples where a player gets done for a crime but still keeps his job. They probably get fined but I doubt that bothers them!!!

If this is a domestic assault case, I've got no patience for that shit. I don't care who you are or where you're from, you can fuck off if you hit/shove/assault your partner. Obviously, if it's just him punching the pizza delivery guy, it's not that big of a deal.

Well we as society don't accept such crimes do we?! That's why the police get called and the courts decide the verdict and the punishment. That's the whole point.

There are many crimes that society deem acceptable or not really a crime, speeding, fraud (claiming something was stolen when it was lost to claim the insurance) and until recently domestic violence was another example. Its only been in the last 15 or so years that society has deemed this crime as unacceptable, but there are still people that don't see it as a real crime, and there is a great deal of under reporting although this has improved in the last couple of years.

When football clubs and other important institutions take a stand on things like domestic violence it has a massive impact on how society in general views these things. For example, racially aggravated public order offenses are dealt with by the courts, yet a football fan convicted of such offenses are often banned by their football club, like the Chelsea fans in Paris. This helps reinforce the message that racism will not be tolerated bu society in general and football in particular.

And if we are using footballers as role models, we have to question our parenting. The parent is the role model. The footballer, movie star, singer etc is the easy excuse for blame when things go wrong. It's what we do these days, good old blame culture. My boys will hear of these things happening through out their lives...if they go onto to do it, it's not a footballers fault.

Whether we like it or not kids have role models, people they identify with and want to emulate, if those people say something is ok then it carries allot of weight. It is also true that everyone is responsible for their own actions, and everyone has to answer for those actions. Yet what people decide is and is not acceptable is influenced by the behavior and views of their family, friends and yes role models. I'm not saying that all calibrates have to behave like model citizens, but with fame and influence comes a certain responsibility.

And this is the classical cross over between football clubs and your everyday company...the same rules don't apply. Clearly a player won't be sacked for such an offence....Danny Simpson has just win the league having been convicted. And there are numerous examples where a player gets done for a crime but still keeps his job. They probably get fined but I doubt that bothers them!!!

Your right there is a difference between a average company and a football club, a football club has much more of an impact and a bigger social responsibility. If you don't believe me just look at the amazing work Everton in the community does, it is able to do everything from working with convicted criminals to running schools and outreach projects because of the influence of Everton football club.

Yes Danny Simpson won the league with Leicester despite being convicted of assault. Lets remind ourselves of what he did. This is the evidence the Police Officer gave at the trial:

'I could hear screams and crying and then silence. I could then hear a choking sound.'

He added that when he entered the house he could see Ms Ward lying in a prone position facing up and Simpson straddling her with his hands 'firmly placed around her neck'.

'He had both hands around her throat. He seemed startled by my sudden presence. I had to drag him by his arm.

'I then arrested him on suspicion of assault and he angrily demanded that the female didn't say anything and he said, "tell them I wasn't doing anything", which was more of a demand.'

Now despite being caught committing the offense he pleaded not guilty, but thankfully he was convicted.

Yes players get convicted of offenses and not much happens to them from a club point of view, but there are certain offenses where a club has to stand up and say "No we will not tolerate this behavior by one of our players and we are going to take action" This should depend on the crime they are convicted of, but me personally if Simpson was an Everton player guilty of that offense I would want him sacked, end of.

Edited by London Blue

Never knew that about Danny Simpson. I'm not someone who believes punishment/prison solves crime, but allowing someone to keep their position as a public figure and representative of your club AND continue to make millions of pounds... NOPE. By not making a public example of this with a public figure, you're telling all those kids who look up to him that it's a crime on-par with lifting a Snickers bar.

London Blue...I've kind of said all I want to without turning this into a boring thread for others. It's obviously quite a strong topic for you, be it because of personal reasons, career reasons or just general interest. I don't completely disagree with what you say (except the kids role model thing...I strongly believe it's all about 'home' and if you are relying on outside sources to set good morales for your kids, sorry, but you're doing it wrong!), but you seem to be going from the angle of what you would do in the ideal world whereas I am more about the reality of what actually happens.

Have good day...sun is shining once again!!!

London Blue...I've kind of said all I want to without turning this into a boring thread for others. It's obviously quite a strong topic for you, be it because of personal reasons, career reasons or just general interest. I don't completely disagree with what you say (except the kids role model thing...I strongly believe it's all about 'home' and if you are relying on outside sources to set good morales for your kids, sorry, but you're doing it wrong!), but you seem to be going from the angle of what you would do in the ideal world whereas I am more about the reality of what actually happens.

It ain't on Merseyside yet!

We change the world one step at a time.

I agree, the sun is shining and I have a good feeling about the match today, I hope you get to enjoy it to.

Edited by London Blue

Certainly looks a bad signing so far but would like to point out RM got 8.5 for Naisy so the 13.5 isnt as bad. Wasted 13.5 in spending but only took 5mil loss.

Unacceptable. You can't offset wasted money because we sold a good squad player for what is supposed to be a good fee. Naismith was a really solid player for us and was worth £8.5m in my opinion. This lad needs to get better or get sold.

Maybe he will be the opposite of bilyaltdinov and start shite and turn good rather than start great and be shite.

Edited by Hafnia

In America and you're convicted it's instant jail time, they made it that way to stop people from doing it.

Not sure if that's how it is in Britain but if so they could cancel the contract ala Adam Johnson.

Notoriously difficult to get a conviction in a case like this, as, unless there's CCTV, everything hangs on what the victim says. Where the victim is the wife/girlfriend of the highly paid superstar, there are obvious motivations for her to withdraw the complaint, change her story, refuse to testify etc.

Happens all the time, even where the guy is just a plumber or accountant.

That said, circumstances don't sound good and he looks a bit of a twat, not what we want at the club.

• 3 weeks later...

Everton striker could miss chunk of next season

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/everton-could-without-oumar-niasse-11429286#ICID=ios_EchoNewsApp_AppShare_Click_Other

Don't think I've ever been less arsed about an Everton player being unavailable

Have we ever been with him to be without him?

Edited by Romey 1878

• 3 weeks later...