IGNORED

Jordan Pickford

41 minutes ago, Matt said:

I don’t see any problem with that article. 

It seems that money has made our fans even more fickle than ever before. He is a very good keeper who makes occasional serious errors, but I’d say 80-90% of the time he is a good to excellent keeper. 

he doesn't think his actions at newcastle were mistakes, he doesn't think he's been having issues, he's oblivious or he's egotistical.  likely the latter.  the newcastle match he acted foolishly, all he had to say was he's a local lad and his emotions got the best of him, it was a learning experience and promise to be better the next time we play up there.  instead it's "no problems here mate, no even sure why people said i've got problems, wierd innit?"  which is not a great attribute to have, never being wrong that is.

10 minutes ago, markjazzbassist said:

he doesn't think his actions at newcastle were mistakes, he doesn't think he's been having issues, he's oblivious or he's egotistical.  likely the latter.  the newcastle match he acted foolishly, all he had to say was he's a local lad and his emotions got the best of him, it was a learning experience and promise to be better the next time we play up there.  instead it's "no problems here mate, no even sure why people said i've got problems, wierd innit?"  which is not a great attribute to have, never being wrong that is.

You’ve been the victim of fake news, now you how Trump feels 😉

21 minutes ago, markjazzbassist said:

I think you’re just missing parts of the article where he acknowledges he made mistakes:

Speaking to Radio 5 Live, he added: "I know I made an error against Newcastle and a couple of errors before that. You know yourself if you are doing well and I think my form shouldn't be getting questioned. Apart from the Newcastle game I've been on a good run.”

how is that not accepting he made a mistake, and in other games, but acknowledging he’s been quite good overall? Sounds like a mature, spot on assessment to me

20 minutes ago, Matt said:

I think you’re just missing parts of the article where he acknowledges he made mistakes:

Speaking to Radio 5 Live, he added: "I know I made an error against Newcastle and a couple of errors before that. You know yourself if you are doing well and I think my form shouldn't be getting questioned. Apart from the Newcastle game I've been on a good run.”

how is that not accepting he made a mistake, and in other games, but acknowledging he’s been quite good overall? Sounds like a mature, spot on assessment to me

so freely admits to making mistakes and then says (IN BOLD) he shouldn't be questioned.  he's delusional.  how can he make mistakes and not be accountable for them?  after the newcastle match he should have been benched for match, he wasn't and now he thinks he's invincible and shouldn't be questioned regardless of form.  

17 minutes ago, markjazzbassist said:

so freely admits to making mistakes and then says (IN BOLD) he shouldn't be questioned.  he's delusional.  how can he make mistakes and not be accountable for them?  after the newcastle match he should have been benched for match, he wasn't and now he thinks he's invincible and shouldn't be questioned regardless of form.  

Delusional is saying he didn’t admit he made mistakes because he’s too arrogant/egotistical to admit he made a mistake when he did.

Based on the season as a whole, no, his form shouldn’t be questioned because for the vast majority he’s been in good form. 

If you want to pounce on him, fair enough. But you’ve got no evidence for /there is contrary evidence to your criticism 

If every club dropped their keeper for making a mistake then you'd constantly be chopping and changing the position, and that's just not feasible. You don't drop a midfielder if he misplaces a few passes in a game, or a striker for missing a good opportunity, or a defender for costing his side a goal in a game. Why? Because all the good that came before; the assists, the goals, the perfectly timed tackles, aren't just forgotten. Goalkeepers are judged so much more harshly for their mistakes because they're the last line of defence.

His form shouldn't be questioned, he's right. As Matt has pointed out, he's been in decent form for most of this season and that shouldn't just be forgotten because he had a nightmare 90 minutes. Even during that game he made some good stops. Don't say "well that's his job" because it's the job of a midfielder to create chances, for example, but they still get praised for it.

All the chat about dropping him for the next game was madness. Would people honestly rather have had Stek in goal against Chelsea? Because I'd have been shitting my kecks when they were battering us and could have been 3 up. What a lesson that would have taught him!

Solid game for England last night though he had little to do, made a decent couple of stops though. Numpty Glenn Hoddle said for one of them (shot from a cross/corner, can't recall exactly) that he was "lucky" because he was "out of position" and should have been in the centre of the goal. If he'd been in the centre of the goal he'd have likely missed it and they'd have scored, got the impression throughout that Hoddle really doesn't like him.

49 minutes ago, markjazzbassist said:

Look at Kepa, he was benched too. Not sure why Jordan is treated different.

Kepa was a totally different set of circumstances, he intentionally ignored his manager's instructions. Pickford wasn't dropped because he's an infinitely better keeper than Stek, and I still reckon he's saved us more points than he's cost us this season. He's got MOTM five time on here and is right up there in the TT player of the season race.

Lucas Digne...96
André Gomes...91
Jordan Pickford...91
Richarlison...89

Yeah I don’t think he’s bad, just the Whole system of rewarding and dropping players gets messed up when you throw it out because XYZ.  When managers are more consistent the players are able to count on it.  What if stek had a worldie and showed his early form with us?  What if he’s been working his ass off so he can get the Netherlands job back?  You never know, willy caballero was a hell of a gamble and Sarri didn’t hesitate.  Benching our leading scorer Richarlison was a gamble and it paid off.  

1 hour ago, markjazzbassist said:

Strange Romey I saw Richarlison and Gylfi benched this year when not playing well, same with gomes and Coleman and many others.  For some reason people take the GK position differently.  Look at Kepa, he was benched too. Not sure why Jordan is treated different.

I’m pretty sure neither one of those was dropped after one bad game but a sustained period of shitness. You don’t drop players after one bad game, you give them the chance to make up for it. 

Marks (Romey) post further up explains perfectly why you don’t drop a keeper for one mistake. If you don’t get it after he’s made it that clear then you never will. 

Kepa wasn’t dropped because he made a mistake in play, he was dropped because he undermined the manager and acted like a complete tit. Very different situation. 

Lloris and De Gae could make a load of mistakes and still not lose their place, because not many clubs have a keeper on the bench of even a similar level. Only Burnley that I can think of could play any of three keepers and have genuine competition for the position. 

2 minutes ago, StevO said:

Marks (Romey) post further up explains perfectly why you don’t drop a keeper for one mistake. If you don’t get it after he’s made it that clear then you never will. 

Kepa wasn’t dropped because he made a mistake in play, he was dropped because he undermined the manager and acted like a complete tit. Very different situation. 

Lloris and De Gae could make a load of mistakes and still not lose their place, because not many clubs have a keeper on the bench of even a similar level. Only Burnley that I can think of could play any of three keepers and have genuine competition for the position. 

exaclty my point you say kepa was benched for being a tit, that's what jordan was.  i didn't have a problem with his keeping in newcastle, his behaviour and attitude is what i have an issue with and he should have been benched for.

13 minutes ago, markjazzbassist said:

exaclty my point you say kepa was benched for being a tit, that's what jordan was.  i didn't have a problem with his keeping in newcastle, his behaviour and attitude is what i have an issue with and he should have been benched for.

Completely disagree. It’s not the same thing at all. One is getting carried away by his own emotions and hatred and the other is insubordination. 

Put it this way pickford is nowhere near in the running for player of the year and after this season that tells you something.

He has played poorly at times and it's not just Newcastle.  It's when he gets all egotistical and starts making stupid mistakes.  He's made some smart stops... but overall it's been a season that he wouldn't be rating too highly. 

I've seen a noticeable difference in him after the Newcastle game.... far more low key which indicates words have been had either with himself or off someone else. 

His demeanour and mindset in the Newcastle game was a joke just likebitvwas at anfield. My guess is the root act was read out out but we will never know. 

1 hour ago, hafnia said:

Put it this way pickford is nowhere near in the running for player of the year and after this season that tells you something.

Well, he is on TT. See Mikes post above. I think that’s a pretty fair assessment from votes every game, from a wide variety of supporters on here with all different view points and watching the game in different ways. 

How many points did Pickford cost us? I remember 2 from the first derby? How many we lost because of the rest? You can imagine. We did not lost the Newcastle game because of him, rewatch the highlights. The only situation he truly messed up was that penalty he saved afterwards. 

17 hours ago, hafnia said:

He has played poorly at times and it's not just Newcastle.  It's when he gets all egotistical and starts making stupid mistakes.  He's made some smart stops... but overall it's been a season that he wouldn't be rating too highly. 

I've seen a noticeable difference in him after the Newcastle game.... far more low key which indicates words have been had either with himself or off someone else. 

His demeanour and mindset in the Newcastle game was a joke just likebitvwas at anfield. My guess is the root act was read out out but we will never know. 

Just curious, but if you were to do a top 3 candidates, who would they be? For me it’s Gana, Digne and probably Gomes but could easily be Pickford too...

58 minutes ago, Matt said:

Just curious, but if you were to do a top 3 candidates, who would they be? For me it’s Gana, Digne and probably Gomes but could easily be Pickford too...

Gana & Digne are the only standouts and that is by a clear distance. After them gylfi & richarlison , with DCL and Bernie making a late burst....  Below them pickford, Coleman, keane.

Essentially I don't think any players are near gana and Digne. They are head and shoulders above. They would be rated 9/10 - the rest 7/10 max. Pickford 6/10.

He's just had too many poor games with really costly mistakes and I feel it's changed the dynamic of the defence.  I'm pleased with his reaction to the Newcastle game but ffs that performance was coming.... his pissy antics were getting more and more intolerable. Petulently reacting to fans getting audibly agitated with his choice of kicking etc. I sense he has been advised what is expected of him. 

Digne 9/10

Bernard 8/10

Gylfi, Richarlison, Gomes, Zouma, Pickford 7/10

Keane, Walcott, Coleman, DCL 6/10. That's how I see the must regular starters.

Mina, Kenny, Davies, 7/10

Schniederlin,, Tosun, Baines 6/10. That's how I see the most used of the rest.

All based on this season so far, I also feel we have some players with the potential to improve in Gylfi, Richarlison, Gomes, Pickford, Mina, Schniederlin, Kenny, DCL.

Players who I think should be moved on Coleman, Keane, Walcott, Tosun, Baines and don't sign Zouma.

2 hours ago, Palfy said:

Digne 9/10

Bernard 8/10

Gylfi, Richarlison, Gomes, Zouma, Pickford 7/10

Keane, Walcott, Coleman, DCL 6/10. That's how I see the must regular starters.

Mina, Kenny, Davies, 7/10

Schniederlin,, Tosun, Baines 6/10. That's how I see the most used of the rest.

All based on this season so far, I also feel we have some players with the potential to improve in Gylfi, Richarlison, Gomes, Pickford, Mina, Schniederlin, Kenny, DCL.

Players who I think should be moved on Coleman, Keane, Walcott, Tosun, Baines and don't sign Zouma.

Harsh on DCL for me, he’s been 7-8 in recent months. Kenny has always looked solid when asked to step in. Otherwise that’s a reasonable resumé

Digne, only one to look decent nearly every week, after that Zouma and then Pickford or Gomes. Richarlison is good in spells, Sigurdssen is good on motd but really doesn't get involved enough in a match so 5th would be DCL but that's mostly for effort which says a lot about the lazy weak arse teammates (give a pass to Baines and Coleman who still give their all but just aren't good enough any more and Davies who hasn't been used enough).