IGNORED

Wayne Rooney

19 hours ago, Romey 1878 said:

I’m sure someone will point out him having a brain fart but I thought he was fantastic today. He might not have the legs but he’s still got that footballing intelligence in bucketloads and he kept us calm, and most importantly he was a leader. 

The more he plays in that deeper role the more important he will become for this squad.

• 2 weeks later...
On 01/02/2018 at 11:28, London Blue said:

Rooney is a bit like an aging quarterback in American football, still got an arm and eye for the long range glory passes, but his hand off's and short range stuff is miss-timed as his timing is off.

I cant help but think that either Klaassen or Siggy in the middle with Vlasic or Bolasie on the wing would be a much faster and more balanced team.

I agree with Klaasen in the middle (poor lad hasn't been given a chance) and Bolasie on the left wing, but lets get Rooney up front. In Rooney we have a player who is Man U's all time top scorer, Englands all time top scorer, a proven goal scorer, and I am sick to death of all the idiots who've followed the nonesense the pundits have fed them that this lad can no longer play as a striker, it was only last week the pundits were drooling over Glenn Murray ffs and he's older than Rooney and not fit to lace Waynes boots.

19 hours ago, AndyT said:

I agree with Klaasen in the middle (poor lad hasn't been given a chance) and Bolasie on the left wing, but lets get Rooney up front. In Rooney we have a player who is Man U's all time top scorer, Englands all time top scorer, a proven goal scorer, and I am sick to death of all the idiots who've followed the nonesense the pundits have fed them that this lad can no longer play as a striker, it was only last week the pundits were drooling over Glenn Murray ffs and he's older than Rooney and not fit to lace Waynes boots.

Rooney himself has said he sees himself as a midfielder now.

On 03/03/2018 at 05:20, AndyT said:

That would be all well and good if Rooney actually stayed up front when played there. He doesn't, he wanders out of position and leaves a gaping hole where he should be playing. It's nothing to do with pundits, it's just watching how he plays. He's also our most creative player in the middle and has the right instincts to score plenty from deep. 

45 minutes ago, nogs said:

That would be all well and good if Rooney actually stayed up front when played there. He doesn't, he wanders out of position and leaves a gaping hole where he should be playing. It's nothing to do with pundits, it's just watching how he plays. He's also our most creative player in the middle and has the right instincts to score plenty from deep. 

But his passing has been woeful, and he keeps wandering around, he lacks positional discipline. 

1 minute ago, London Blue said:

But his passing has been woeful, and he keeps wandering around, he lacks positional discipline. 

Some of his passing has been poor. Some has been very good. And I think I said he lacks the positional discipline to play up front. 

17 hours ago, nogs said:

Some of his passing has been poor. Some has been very good. And I think I said he lacks the positional discipline to play up front. 

The thing is if you lack discipline then up front is possible were you can get away with it, anywhere in the midfield you won’t sooner or later you will get caught out as we find with Gana and Schneiderlin, there poor positioning has cost us so many goals and games why would you want to compound that by putting another player in there with no decipline. 

1 hour ago, Palfy said:

The thing is if you lack discipline then up front is possible were you can get away with it, anywhere in the midfield you won’t sooner or later you will get caught out as we find with Gana and Schneiderlin, there poor positioning has cost us so many goals and games why would you want to compound that by putting another player in there with no decipline. 

I'd say CF is one of the last places you can afford a lack of discipline. Good strikers thrive on positioning and movement. Rooney just goes wandering and leaves no option in the final third. Also, his job in midfield is very different to what you would expect from Gana or Schneiderlin, who are mainly there as auxiliary defenders. Of course you'd never ask Rooney to do that job. 

11 minutes ago, nogs said:

I'd say CF is one of the last places you can afford a lack of discipline. Good strikers thrive on positioning and movement. Rooney just goes wandering and leaves no option in the final third. Also, his job in midfield is very different to what you would expect from Gana or Schneiderlin, who are mainly there as auxiliary defenders. Of course you'd never ask Rooney to do that job. 

When you play 433 the 3 in the middle have to have decipline and cover for one another play as unit that has been one of our biggest down falls this season a piss poor midfield, players with no positional sense running around headless with the biggest offender being Gana.

So you’re not gonna drop Gana but you’re gonna put Rooney in so that’s 2 out of the 3 with poor discipline who you going to drop and who’s gonna play. 

4 hours ago, Palfy said:

When you play 433 the 3 in the middle have to have decipline and cover for one another play as unit that has been one of our biggest down falls this season a piss poor midfield, players with no positional sense running around headless with the biggest offender being Gana.

So you’re not gonna drop Gana but you’re gonna put Rooney in so that’s 2 out of the 3 with poor discipline who you going to drop and who’s gonna play. 

Our best midfield has been Gana, Rooney and Davies. I don't have the stats to hand but I'd be surprised if the majority of our wins hadn't come with those three starting. 

EDIT: just looked it up. Out of 9 league wins, those three started 5, although in the 3-2 against Watford they didn't play as a midfield 3.

You'll probably be surprised to hear that Gueye has been given Mom by the BBC in three of those nine wins... 

On 04/03/2018 at 18:07, nogs said:

Exactly right.  When he plays up-front,  Rooney is like a kid in the school team,  he chases the ball all over the pitch.

2 hours ago, nogs said:

Our best midfield has been Gana, Rooney and Davies. I don't have the stats to hand but I'd be surprised if the majority of our wins hadn't come with those three starting. 

EDIT: just looked it up. Out of 9 league wins, those three started 5, although in the 3-2 against Watford they didn't play as a midfield 3.

You'll probably be surprised to hear that Gueye has been given Mom by the BBC in three of those nine wins... 

So you would drop Gylfi to put Rooney in or stick him out on the left were he is ineffective, Gylfi playing in the middle is the best option we have in that role didn't you watch Saturday's game he is a different player there MotM, but you want to shift him for someone in your words that lacks discipline.

And I give no credit to the BBC and it wouldn't surprise me if they gave it to him again Saturday, seeing how we played Saturday in the first half why would you want Rooney in the team, giving the ball away in dangerous areas and putting us on the back foot.

35 minutes ago, Palfy said:

So you would drop Gylfi to put Rooney in or stick him out on the left were he is ineffective, Gylfi playing in the middle is the best option we have in that role didn't you watch Saturday's game he is a different player there MotM, but you want to shift him for someone in your words that lacks discipline.

And I give no credit to the BBC and it wouldn't surprise me if they gave it to him again Saturday, seeing how we played Saturday in the first half why would you want Rooney in the team, giving the ball away in dangerous areas and putting us on the back foot.

I'm just saying what has happened when we've won games. We didn't win on Saturday. I'm not saying that's Gylfi's fault but Rooney gives you more defensively. 

• 1 month later...
3 hours ago, Romey 1878 said:

"We have to get that stability back, which I think we are slowly but surely doing, and then we have to look at what this summer will bring and what next season will bring."

Hopefully the answer to that question is a new manager.

On 09/04/2018 at 10:09, Romey 1878 said:

https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/sam-allardyce-reveals-what-wayne-14506336

You could start by not hanging him out to dry by playing him in midfield in certain games.

Which shows the problem with relying on stats to pick your teams. He is so outdated now it is unreal. Back in his day stats may have given him the edge but now it is part and parcel of the game and basic stats, which appears to be his thing, are largely irrelevant.

10 hours ago, Bailey said:

Which shows the problem with relying on stats to pick your teams. He is so outdated now it is unreal. Back in his day stats may have given him the edge but now it is part and parcel of the game and basic stats, which appears to be his thing, are largely irrelevant.

Based on how we set up against Arsenal, his approach to stats appears to be to read the paper in which his chips were wrapped, see who beat a team we're about to play, and then try to implement their strategy - regardless of context, our strengths versus theirs, and what our opponents' strategy might be this time around.

Sorry for the cynicism re Crooked Sam. I know it irritates some, but he does nothing but reinforce my opinion from Day One.

8 hours ago, Cornish Steve said:

Based on how we set up against Arsenal, his approach to stats appears to be to read the paper in which his chips were wrapped, see who beat a team we're about to play, and then try to implement their strategy - regardless of context, our strengths versus theirs, and what our opponents' strategy might be this time around.

Sorry for the cynicism re Crooked Sam. I know it irritates some, but he does nothing but reinforce my opinion from Day One.

No need to be sorry, it's true and correct 

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2018/apr/13/sam-allardyce-wayne-rooney-experience-should-be-dropping-deeper

Does he not realise that when Rooney drops deeper he's literally sitting on the CB's toes for most of the game because of his shit, negative tactics? That makes it a bit harder to chip in with goals.

The more this fella speaks the more I want to punch him in the face over and over. I dread press conference time because I just know he's going to talk a load of shite.