IGNORED

Cenk Tosun

When it comes to putting the ball in the net he’s looking as clinical as anyone in this league, his build up play and general involvement wasn’t as good as last week not his fault we missed Gylfi and Tyson more than most, the last couple of games  they worked well together and you could see an understanding being formed by to players with ability and craft, unfortunately that was missing yesterday, maybe Klaassen could be the man while Gylfi is out, it wasn’t Rooney he had a bigger role covering Gana. 

I really really like the lad.

Maybe he just ticks a ot of the boxes that lukaku didn't... pretty important ones for me.

1.  Attitude and work rate... he looks like he is a team player and already looks a popular person.  His attitude is spot on. Works his balls off. No moaning or gesturing. The lad is positive... the team mates looked delighted for him. See Baines? Had a look of pure joy for the lad. 

2. Hold up play.  He looks after the ball... this allows the midfielders to push on.  He also works to get the ball off the defenders. It' a massively underrated attribute to have.

3. Brave, strong and aggressive.  Like Gray, sharp, Ferguson, Cahill.... he looks like he would throw his head into a cement mixer.  Lukaku had strength but never used it. Wasn't aggressive.  This lad looks like he's got a good frame and he knows how to use it.  Lacks a bit of pace but he's a proper number 9. 

4. He can finish!.... Lukaku got away with a lot of deserved criticism all because he could score.  It was as though goal scoring and general all round play were mutually exclusive.... you couldn't have both.   This lad seems to be able to do a fair bit of everything. Has he any weaknesses?  Lack of pace.... but is that critical? Shearer wasn't quick. 

Pleased with the signing. I'm not going to credit allardyce with it because he tried to wash his hands of responsibility of him when he hadnt even kicked a ball. 

Not saying he's as good but he reminds me of Harry Kane - very well rounded but perhaps lack half a yard of pace

Keep it up Cenk.

Its refreshing having an aerial threat for starters - we've not had one since...well...perhaps Cahill?  That's a long time ago

We still need another striker though I think.  Dom doesn't do it for me (not a great finisher), Niasse is an impact sub...feels like we need some more quality here still.

2 hours ago, duncanmckenzieismagic said:

Sounds like he is definitely an Allardyce signing rather than a Walsh signing and credit where it’s due I think old fat head has played a blinder with both signing and easing Cenk into first team action

Yes but we don't need to give him credit for that.... he takes credit even where it isn'tt due and shifts blame where it does lay at his feet. 

On 19/03/2018 at 17:27, duncanmckenzieismagic said:

Sounds like he is definitely an Allardyce signing rather than a Walsh signing and credit where it’s due I think old fat head has played a blinder with both signing and easing Cenk into first team action

Yeh he was eased straight into that first game against Spurs... 😃

7 hours ago, duncanmckenzieismagic said:

And taken straight back out of the firing line when it was obvious he wasn’t up to speed emoji6.png

It wasn't obvious though.  Against spurs he looked solid.... occupied their centre halves and got stuck in.

He has done well in spite of Sam's sporadic use - not because of it.

It's an old sandbagging method some managers in business do to get kudos.... they rate a capable person as being shit in a year end review.... they tell the person 'don't worry....i will get you where you need to be'  the only difference the following year is the managers opinion and not the level of performance.  But he will take claim for improving someone to their own manager. 

Tosun was no where near as rusty and far off as allardyce is making out. 

On 19/03/2018 at 11:30, Sir McGiven said:

After the training sessions, I am training a bit more with Duncan Ferguson regarding my game style. He is an Everton legend and he is helping me a lot. Recently we are working on my physical attributes and shooting and it is letting me be better on the pitch. I do feel better physically now.

He's not been physically ready, and in the other comments he said about the pace being faster. Alladyce even said it was Tosun who requested extra training to get up to speed. If the manager was trying to take more credit he'd have done a Moyes and said he got the boy to stay and train harder. Both of them deserve a pat on the back. Sam for scouting and man management (of Tosun), and Tosun for his work ethic. 

It wasn't obvious though.  Against spurs he looked solid.... occupied their centre halves and got stuck in.
He has done well in spite of Sam's sporadic use - not because of it.
It's an old sandbagging method some managers in business do to get kudos.... they rate a capable person as being shit in a year end review.... they tell the person 'don't worry....i will get you where you need to be'  the only difference the following year is the managers opinion and not the level of performance.  But he will take claim for improving someone to their own manager. 
Tosun was no where near as rusty and far off as allardyce is making out. 

Tosun himself has said he wasn’t ready, he hadn’t played for weeks because of their winter break, and he has commented on how much faster it is in the Premiership
The player requested extra sessions and has thanked the manager for ‘protecting him’ and the staff for improving his fitness
I think we all want to see the back of Allardyce but it’s quite clear he has played this out perfectly , you need to get over your hatred of Sam and see it for what it is

11 hours ago, duncanmckenzieismagic said:

Tosun himself has said he wasn’t ready, he hadn’t played for weeks because of their winter break, and he has commented on how much faster it is in the Premiership
The player requested extra sessions and has thanked the manager for ‘protecting him’ and the staff for improving his fitness
I think we all want to see the back of Allardyce but it’s quite clear he has played this out perfectly , you need to get over your hatred of Sam and see it for what it is

I don't buy it.  I think the poor bastard realised that he almost has to agree with the gravy drinking slob....  I see these interviews as nothing more than attempting to remain in favour. 

If he came out and said "I have always been ready"..... you reckon he would get a game? Allardyce is a vindictive egomaniac. 

Allardyce said cenk doesn't like the cold.... he scored 2 on a blustery cold day in stoke.  In short Sam is full of shit

But his first few matches showed Haf. He did look off the pace, and not fit enough. I remember commenting that I was suprised with his first few matches he’s wasndeacribed as a hard worker.... but seemed to be jogging through the matches. He was also getting knocked to the floor way too easily.

Credit to him though. He now looks strong and a lot fitter. That’s where his hard work has payed off.

Im no fan of Sam. And I don’t think it’s really down to him, but rather the coaching staff who have helped him.

1 hour ago, hafnia said:

I don't buy it.  I think the poor bastard realised that he almost has to agree with the gravy drinking slob....  I see these interviews as nothing more than attempting to remain in favour. 

If he came out and said "I have always been ready"..... you reckon he would get a game? Allardyce is a vindictive egomaniac. 

Allardyce said cenk doesn't like the cold.... he scored 2 on a blustery cold day in stoke.  In short Sam is full of shit

agreed i think Cenk is a smart guy and realizes to just play along with Sam so he can play.  He's been to a few clubs before and knows the drill.  plus he's a great guy probably the older guys Baines Jags etc. told him how Sam is to help him adjust.  

34 minutes ago, Shukes said:

But his first few matches showed Haf. He did look off the pace, and not fit enough. I remember commenting that I was suprised with his first few matches he’s wasndeacribed as a hard worker.... but seemed to be jogging through the matches. He was also getting knocked to the floor way too easily.

Credit to him though. He now looks strong and a lot fitter. That’s where his hard work has payed off.

Im no fan of Sam. And I don’t think it’s really down to him, but rather the coaching staff who have helped him.

And if you watch the matchday threads on when sam finally played him everyone was still bashing him about "he's out of form" "too slow" "not ready for the prem yet" and then BANG scores that goal, and all of a sudden it's "hes done well"  "sam played it perfectly".  Had he not scored Sam and fans would have said the same things they did before.

maybe he's like a naismith, he doesn't look easy on the eye but works his ass off and scores out of sheer determination and will.  maybe he will never be fast, but it doesn't matter.

I don't think he will be as fast as desired tbh. I don't know, I am not a sports scientist or a doctor but getting faster doesn't look like something that can be improved at any age to me, you are either fast and born that way or not. That's how I think through what I see so far.

He can learn advanced pace techniques (like taking longer steps) or dribble techniques which can help him to cover his lack of speed.

Though, looking forward to hearing from someone who knows these kinds of stuff to be enlightened. If a professional says that it is possible, I'm starting to improve my pace as well :)

1 hour ago, Shukes said:

No. I think far too much was made of it.

Like most strikers he could have done with a goal pretty quickly.

His all round play was good and still is.