IGNORED

Abdoulaye Doucouré

Peter H

• 2 months later...

Doucoure looking done in an Everton shirt.  Poor performances recently.  No talk of extending his contract.  Walking on a free in the summer.  If he wants to leave or earn a new contract with us you would think he would be chomping at the bit to impress but alas...  If the desire is not there, Frank should just play someone willing to fight for the shirt.  Davies or a u23 player like Price, etc.

Sad end to a player who has put in some shifts over his time here. 

32 minutes ago, plaidharper said:

Doucoure looking done in an Everton shirt.  Poor performances recently.  No talk of extending his contract.  Walking on a free in the summer.  If he wants to leave or earn a new contract with us you would think he would be chomping at the bit to impress but alas...  If the desire is not there, Frank should just play someone willing to fight for the shirt.  Davies or a u23 player like Price, etc.

Sad end to a player who has put in some shifts over his time here. 

Your right he has put some big shifts in over the years, unfortunately lacks the ability when in possession of the ball, and Lampard is looking for quality on the ball to go with hard work in winning it back. 

I've been very disappointed with him this season. For sure, it must hit your ego when the manager brings in a number of players to replace you, but that's no excuse for the lacklustre attitude and performances. Some react to such a scenario by putting in the extra effort to prove the manager wrong. Others, sadly, take umbrage and let it affect their play. It seems that Doucoure falls into the latter category.

8 hours ago, Bailey said:

I dont see Doucoure not putting in the effort. He just isnt very good on the ball and never has been. 

Onana is the one ghosting through games. 

100%, but in your opinion of Lampard is it his fault for not improving him, or do you think that side of his game can not be improved. 

On 16/11/2022 at 07:53, Palfy said:

100%, but in your opinion of Lampard is it his fault for not improving him, or do you think that side of his game can not be improved. 

To get the best out of Doucoure you need to maximise what he is good at which is going box-to-box. You cant play through him. You use him for his engine and then whatever he does above that is a bonus. He gets in the box pretty well, albeit the output isnt amazing (to say the least). 

You are never going to make him a technical footballer at this stage of his career.

One of the things that Benitez did well when he started here was that he realised that about Doucoure and he became a genuine threat. He played to his strengths.

I said this early under Lampard and people laughed but I didnt see him as Lampard type because Lampard clearly wanted players who are better technically. 

I thought Doucoure played his best football for us when he was doing the running for James. His game was simple, win the ball and give it to someone more talented further up the pitch or to Coleman next to him. 
He doesn’t have a lot more to his game than that. Did a job for a couple of years, on the list of players to be replaced in the squad for me. 

6 hours ago, Bailey said:

I said this early under Lampard and people laughed but I didnt see him as Lampard type because Lampard clearly wanted players who are better technically. 

Again 100% agree. And I think Lampard has inherited a fair few players that he can't improve because they lack skills required to play how he wants. 

• 1 month later...

Give how tight things appear to be, a sale of asset might be needed to strengthen further up the pitch. Agree, not ideal him leaving, but probably still has some resale value and would free up a decent wage. 

If Garner was fit and maybe had a few more game under his belt - then I would say cash in. However, as this is not the case I would be a bit nervous of letting Douc's go just yet. He is not yet flowing this season, but he is a player who is a bona fida option in midfield. 

On 21/12/2022 at 15:45, plaidharper said:

If he left we would still have Onana, Gana, Garner, Davies, and Price to fill two spots.  

Wonder if we need to move some players to get in an attacking option?

Can’t include Price yet. Not for the Premier League. Maybe next season. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 05/01/2023 at 14:23, Bailey said:

Looks like offloading him will be difficult due to his wages. Reports suggest between £100-120k! If so there is no way he is going anywhere permanently without us continuing to pay him some of that money.

Thought he did well when he came on last night, there are a few other midfielders on our books I would rather be sold than him to be honest

11 hours ago, duncanmckenzieismagic said:

Thought he did well when he came on last night, there are a few other midfielders on our books I would rather be sold than him to be honest

Perfect type of game for him, being asked to cover ground and break forward.

His issues will come when he needs to do more on/with the ball, which is more likely to happen in the games against Southampton and West Ham.