IGNORED

Abdoulaye Doucouré

Peter H

Over his time here he's just not been good enough, a few bright periods and this is one for them. A new contract will be 2 years at least and it won't be cheap. Not worth the risk.

The only circumstamces are a 1 year extension, if we have some kind of transfer ban or lack of funds. Which, I admit might be likely.

3 minutes ago, Bailey said:

He has been one of our best players under Dyche, getting him back to doing what he does best. 

He was criminally wasted under Lampard IMO.

He's looking like he did for Ancelotti and early Benitez. He's a much better player than he's shown.

Why would you not give a 2 year extension for a player finding form, who works hard and knows the league? Certainly a cheaper and safer option than bringing someone new in. 

Just now, Matt said:

He's looking like he did for Ancelotti and early Benitez. He's a much better player than he's shown.

Why would you not give a 2 year extension for a player finding form, who works hard and knows the league? Certainly a cheaper and safer option than bringing someone new in. 

They both used his attributes to best effect, as is Dyche now. 

He is one of our highest earners, which is a problem because he shouldnt be BUT if a reasonable deal can be reached then he should be kept. I would also be looking to bring in other player(s) to take his place though in the long run as well. One of our bigger issues is that we have failed to forward plan, or plan at all 🤣

9 minutes ago, Bailey said:

They both used his attributes to best effect, as is Dyche now. 

He is one of our highest earners, which is a problem because he shouldnt be BUT if a reasonable deal can be reached then he should be kept. I would also be looking to bring in other player(s) to take his place though in the long run as well. One of our bigger issues is that we have failed to forward plan, or plan at all 🤣

For sure but chances are any replacement will still cost a lot more.

45 minutes ago, Romey 1878 said:

He's implied that he's told the club he'd like to stay and now it's down to them.

It's a tough one because I think we'd like to keep him but it'd be contingent on us staying up. Don't want another big wage + long term deal to be saddled with if we're going down. 

6 hours ago, Hafnia said:

I’d rather he wasn’t talking about it to be honest.  

he’s been very important of late, if we stay up I’d take the option of a year extension but that’s it for now. 

Tbf he only responded to a direct question so he can’t really not talk about it but I agree we should exercise the one year extension then see how he starts next season before offering anything more 

If he leaves we will need to buy a replacement. So we need to find a transfer fee, which would likely be more than the cost of his pay rise. With Doucoure, Gana, Onana and Garner I’d be much more comfortable if we spent any money we had on a striker, left back and maybe a winger. 

To me it comes down to a need to stop shifting focus of the squad. If Dyche is the guy we’re committing to, then a Doucoure extension is a no brainer. He fits perfectly into what he wants to do. 

Wouldn’t fault either party for giving a handshake for the time being until we avoid relegation, though. 

5 hours ago, StevO said:

If he leaves we will need to buy a replacement. So we need to find a transfer fee, which would likely be more than the cost of his pay rise. With Doucoure, Gana, Onana and Garner I’d be much more comfortable if we spent any money we had on a striker, left back and maybe a winger. 

Just trigger the one year extension once we're safe then.

1 hour ago, Shukes said:

You can’t expect players with this level of ability to become great with hard work alone. The occasional great game isn’t enough in the pre over league and we have some tough decisions to make this summer.

He'll excel in the Championship though