IGNORED

Yerry Mina

49 minutes ago, Btay said:

He is mediocre as can be, has a decent few games and everyone forgets the shit patch. There’s a good reason no clubs above us have looked at him. There’s also very little chance he plays for England again in my opinion. 

Not sure 2 seasons constitutes a "patch" mate

It's quite amusing to see how opinions vary from one thread to another. I've been reading over and over, on the Benitez thread, how we're doing so poorly because we're missing our best defender, Mina. Here I'm reading that he's nowhere near our best defender and we should move him along. Which is it?

Personally, I think he is a strong defender, but his injury record has been unfortunate. Do we stick with him in hopes of better luck going forward, or do we cash in on him and remove his large wage bill? Personally, I'm in two minds about this one. If Benitez is willing to trust our younger players, then move him along. If instead he wants to bring in another older player, then forget it.

2 hours ago, Cornish Steve said:

It's quite amusing to see how opinions vary from one thread to another. I've been reading over and over, on the Benitez thread, how we're doing so poorly because we're missing our best defender, Mina. Here I'm reading that he's nowhere near our best defender and we should move him along. Which is it?

Personally, I think he is a strong defender, but his injury record has been unfortunate. Do we stick with him in hopes of better luck going forward, or do we cash in on him and remove his large wage bill? Personally, I'm in two minds about this one. If Benitez is willing to trust our younger players, then move him along. If instead he wants to bring in another older player, then forget it.

Personally I’d move Mina on if we get anything over £15 million and give move time Branthwaite this season. Godfrey needs more time at CB to iron out his game.  This window we should be offering Alessio Romagnoli pre contract because that would be a huge addition in my opinion. 

In the summer I would be trying to shift Micheal Keane and I think the likes of Newcastle, Watford, Burnley and co who play a deep defensive block would be interested in him. 

Next season -

Starters:Ben Godfrey/Alessio Romagnoli

Backups: Holgate/Branthwaite 

2 left footed CB’s and 2 right footed - Would look to move Holgate on the following season if no improvements.

4 hours ago, Btay said:

Personally I’d move Mina on if we get anything over £15 million and give move time Branthwaite this season. Godfrey needs more time at CB to iron out his game.  This window we should be offering Alessio Romagnoli pre contract because that would be a huge addition in my opinion. 

In the summer I would be trying to shift Micheal Keane and I think the likes of Newcastle, Watford, Burnley and co who play a deep defensive block would be interested in him. 

Next season -

Starters:Ben Godfrey/Alessio Romagnoli

Backups: Holgate/Branthwaite 

2 left footed CB’s and 2 right footed - Would look to move Holgate on the following season if no improvements.

You don’t need to move Mina on to give more playing time to Branthwaite, I’m not sure if you have noticed but Mina is hardly ever in the team so isn’t holding Branthwaite back. The only ever present and consistent CB we have is the one you want to sell how bizarre can you imagine what the last couple of seasons would have been like if we never had the ever present Keane, let me tell as one of your fellow countryman would say disastrous darling. 

On 17/12/2021 at 08:36, Palfy said:

I don’t think so he just needs a consistent and solid partner who has ability and a brain, whether he becomes the leader in that partnership for me is immaterial, but he’s definitely good enough to be playing at the top of this league. He should be back in the England squad he’s far better than McGuire who would crumble right in front of our eyes if he had to play in this Everton team. Keane has been solid for quite a while now, mistake’s that lead to goals aren’t coming from him but from others. I think you do him a massive disservice by your remarks, if we stay mid table it will be because of others not him. 

I don't think he is a top 6 level centre back. He has his moments but he isnt very agile for an experienced player he always dangles a leg out when he shouldnt.

We watched Thiago just stay with his much quicker and younger man and force them into a mistake yet Keane would have been panicking, leaving a leg out and either committing a foul or getting off balance.

Keane is a deep block defender where he has lots of protection around him. If we try and play more like a top 6 side, on the front foot more often, he will make more and more mistakes.

11 hours ago, Cornish Steve said:

I agree with Steve here.  I always feel more comfortable if I see Mina's name on the team sheet.  Shame he does seem injury prone though.

49 minutes ago, johnh said:

I agree with Steve here.  I always feel more comfortable if I see Mina's name on the team sheet.  Shame he does seem injury prone though.

He is though that’s the issue, we need continuity in the team, Mina is regularly one who doesn’t allow us to do that. Granted you can say that of almost the whole squad this season though.

15 hours ago, Palfy said:

You don’t need to move Mina on to give more playing time to Branthwaite, I’m not sure if you have noticed but Mina is hardly ever in the team so isn’t holding Branthwaite back. The only ever present and consistent CB we have is the one you want to sell how bizarre can you imagine what the last couple of seasons would have been like if we never had the ever present Keane, let me tell as one of your fellow countryman would say disastrous darling. 

Well he has because when he’s been fit for 5-6 games he starts. I’m just saying I’m a big big fan of Mina as a player but we need to get what ever funds we can get for him. Also I would play Branthwaite over Mina now.

Ever present yes give him credit for that but consistent? The only consistent thing about him his he’s decent for 3 games and then proper average ( being kind ) for 6. I think I’ve made my stance on Keane pretty clear since he’s been here.

2 hours ago, Bailey said:

I might end up eating my words on this but Branthwaite looked alright the other night because he was heavily protected and up against a team without a recognised centre forward.

If he gets exposed against a half decent PL forward, I am not sure he will get the same rave reviews.

Very early days though.

To be fair he looks quite strong and athletic. I would expect him to do better against a traditional type forward.

Against Chelsea he was put against possibly two of the best attacking mods in the premier league. 
Something that goes well on his CV.

45 minutes ago, Shukes said:

To be fair he looks quite strong and athletic. I would expect him to do better against a traditional type forward.

Against Chelsea he was put against possibly two of the best attacking mods in the premier league. 

I didn’t see Mike, Matt Rom or Steve on the pitch playing for Chelsea and any were they need to resign with immediate effect😂

On 19/12/2021 at 16:52, Shukes said:

I think its more important to have the right attitude than size necessarily and he doesnt look the dominant type. 

He looks more like a Keane type player than anything else and if he does turn into that type of player that will be great for us.

4 hours ago, Bailey said:

I think its more important to have the right attitude than size necessarily and he doesnt look the dominant type. 

He looks more like a Keane type player than anything else and if he does turn into that type of player that will be great for us.

You mean a mistake prone defender who can only play in a deep block?

15 hours ago, Btay said:

You mean a mistake prone defender who can only play in a deep block?

🤣

In a nutshell yes, but he is still a Premier League level centre back which would be good from our investment in Branthwaite.

I do get the feeling that will be the type of player Branthwaite will be from the little I have seen of him but its really early days and there is a lot to come from him.

12 hours ago, Bailey said:

🤣

In a nutshell yes, but he is still a Premier League level centre back which would be good from our investment in Branthwaite.

I do get the feeling that will be the type of player Branthwaite will be from the little I have seen of him but its really early days and there is a lot to come from him.

I’m only having some fun! I hope he gets a good run of games so we can have a look at what he can do. Certainly looks promising though.

• 4 weeks later...
10 hours ago, StevO said:

Sell him in a heartbeat. No doubt we could get good money for him, he can then keep the medical staff company at Newcastle. But it needs to be the new managers decision. 

Quite like to keep him now as we have a potential relegation battle on our hands. if he stays fit we are a better team with him in than out.