IGNORED

Yerry Mina

• 3 weeks later...
On 27/05/2022 at 07:31, Goodison Glory said:

I would like to think any deal offered by us would have a lower wage but higher appearance fee (same net wages, but slanted towards playing time only).

he prob wouldn't sign that type of deal so we should wish him well. 

Depends if he thinks he can get more guaranteed elsewhere. I tend to doubt he could, given his injury history. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 28/05/2022 at 13:07, MikeO said:

91 games in four seasons so around 23 a season on average.

Strange thing is under Ancelotti he was a consistent starter in the league hardly injured at all, last season was very bleak I think selling now is good option get a bit of money and save a big wage. If his next season is like his last he walks on a free the next it could cost us £15m with a fee and wages, what would suit us best the money or the gamble?

1 hour ago, Shukes said:

The money.

If we get Tarkowski in then we should have ample cover. Could really do with a young hungry CB as well, or is this the year Branthwaite steps up to the next level. 

I think Branthwaite could do with a Championship loan for regular football.  He looked ok at times when he played but nothing special and would benefit more from playing than sitting on the bench.

Holgate and Godfrey should be young enough and hungry enough to get themselves in the team and stamp their mark on the centre back spot.  Assuming we keep one of Mina or Keane that gives us 4 centre backs which is plenty.  

1 hour ago, Shukes said:

The money.

If we get Tarkowski in then we should have ample cover. Could really do with a young hungry CB as well, or is this the year Branthwaite steps up to the next level. 

I agree, as much as I love Mina (seems to be such a character in the squad and our best defender when he is fit) he would bring in a fee and get a large wage of the bill. On balance I think having Tarkowski in on a free (who will hopefully play much more games and give the back line better consistency)as a direct replacement for Mina will be a significant 'net gain' for us overall. 

It wasn't just Mina being missing in the games, him (and others) being in and out just caused so much disruption to our center back pairing it was just causing us absolute havoc as week in week out different pairings had to be used. It is no coincident that we conceded some many goals from set pieces last season. 

I think bringing in a solid and proven Tarkowski will turn out to be a key bit of business this year, especially if by doing so it also allows us to generate some valuable funds in the sale of Mina. 

Are we in danger of having a transfer strategy!! 

Curious if anyone thinks keeping Mina would keep Richarlison happier/from leaving. Personally because I think the answer is yes so I'd rather keep Mina and sell Keane. Building a squad is often about the collective. Not to mention Mina is just a far better footballer and his value right now is pretty close to as low as it can get. 

2 hours ago, AlbanyNYToffee said:

Curious if anyone thinks keeping Mina would keep Richarlison happier/from leaving. Personally because I think the answer is yes so I'd rather keep Mina and sell Keane. Building a squad is often about the collective. Not to mention Mina is just a far better footballer and his value right now is pretty close to as low as it can get. 

It's the thought of injury-prone Mina being out and drawing a wage. Sell.

3 hours ago, AlbanyNYToffee said:

Might as well just give Richarlison all of Mina’s £125k per week on top of his own wages, then let Mina leave on a free, we’d still have the same options on a match day. 

I don’t know how it’s possible for Mina to be a better footballer than Keane. Mina never plays so I wouldn’t know. 😂

Seriously though Keane plays football weekly, Mina plays monthly. It’s not useful. 

11 minutes ago, StevO said:

Might as well just give Richarlison all of Mina’s £125k per week on top of his own wages, then let Mina leave on a free, we’d still have the same options on a match day. 

I don’t know how it’s possible for Mina to be a better footballer than Keane. Mina never plays so I wouldn’t know. 😂

Seriously though Keane plays football weekly, Mina plays monthly. It’s not useful. 

It's less than not useful, it's actively damaging the team. There's no chance of an established CB pairing, leading to rotation and thus eliminating any common understanding. The best teams in the world have 2 CB who know each other inside out and offer the base foundation for the team. Exception being you have world class players warming the bench. 

Mina is a brilliant character, but average footballer and that's being generous.