IGNORED

Lucas Digne

18 hours ago, Palfy said:

If he doesn’t play competitive football between now and the World Cup he doesn’t play in the World Cup, his match fitness touch positioning and confidence will be shot and no manager would gamble that he would come good in a few games. Whether or not Benitez uses him if he’s not sold depends on whether Digne is committed to how he’s asked to play, plus Mykolenko may turn out to be a better LB, and if that should be the case I suspect we won’t even see him on the bench that often, or Benitez gets sacked and who ever takes over puts him back in the team. But what ever happens it has to be the best deal for Everton and not a player trying to dictate where he’s prepared to go, if Newcastle offer £30m and Chelsea only offer £20m then the club should dismiss Chelsea’s offer and except Newcastle’s offer, then Chelsea have an opportunity to up there offer, and if they don’t Digne has 3.5 weeks to make one of the most crucial decisions in his career which is to sign for Newcastle on big money and get guaranteed football which should cement his place in the World Cup or stay here and take his chances.  As harsh as that may sound the ball is in his  court and the cards are in our hands. 

If I was Digne, I would be thinking if I move to Newcastle and risk getting relegated, will Dechamps pick me over someone that is playing in a better side at the right end of the table? We all know it happens. 

If Digne doesnt, then he would be just as suited to staying here and waiting for a better move in the summer, however that doesnt suit us.

5 hours ago, MC11 said:

Benitez has confirmed Digne has asked to leave the club. 

I think the main question here is:

Was the transfer request before he was dropped from the squad and we signed a new LB or was this after the way he’s been treated? I think this is the answer we all need. 

I think it is also the case that we are only hearing one persons side of the argument and that person is full of it and full of himself.

25 minutes ago, MC11 said:

Rafa has thrown the clubs dirty laundry into the open. Very very rarely you see managers talk directly about fall outs like he has. Very unprofessional 

Very unprofessional. It's probably cost us a few million in negotiation tactics as well, because it's clear now that Everton has no plans to play Digne ever again and is desperate to sell.

4 minutes ago, Bailey said:

I think it is also the case that we are only hearing one persons side of the argument and that person is full of it and full of himself.

we always criticise when people at the club don't communicate with us. Benitez spoke on the club website yesterday and  again today was even more candid in the press conference about a certain situation. What is the point if key personnel do actually come out and speak to us a about what is going on and what the long term plan is and the fans response is  - 'you are just full of shit'.

20 minutes ago, Bailey said:
5 hours ago, MC11 said:

Digne has a right to respond to anything that has been said by Benitez or the club after all he has nothing to lose, I would say everything that officially has been said hasn’t been detrimental to anyone and are the facts of what has happened to get to where we are now. If anything was untoward then Digne would be defending his position, the fact that he isn’t is because nothing has been said that is untrue or can’t be qualified.  There’s no underhanded shit going on here and you’re statement is based solely on your personal dislike for Benitez. 

39 minutes ago, RuffRob said:

we always criticise when people at the club don't communicate with us. Benitez spoke on the club website yesterday and  again today was even more candid in the press conference about a certain situation. What is the point if key personnel do actually come out and speak to us a about what is going on and what the long term plan is and the fans response is  - 'you are just full of shit'.

My default position with most managers is you are full of shit anyway. They generally dont and shouldnt be talking about what happens behind closed doors. Neither should the players for that matter. I have the same default position with players too btw. 

I also think there is a big difference between higher management communication and football squad communication. What goes on behind closed doors in the squad should stay there. Bigger issues surrounding the club, such as the Gylfi / Delph situation should be dealt with very differently.

12 minutes ago, Palfy said:

Digne has a right to respond to anything that has been said by Benitez or the club after all he has nothing to lose, I would say everything that officially has been said hasn’t been detrimental to anyone and are the facts of what has happened to get to where we are now. If anything was untoward then Digne would be defending his position, the fact that he isn’t is because nothing has been said that is untrue or can’t be qualified.  There’s no underhanded shit going on here and you’re statement is based solely on your personal dislike for Benitez. 

He does have the right to respond but I bet you if he does he will get fined. It will also make him look worse and potentially effect his move. I am sure if anyone asks him behind closed doors (say Tuchel ahead of signing), then he will give his view. 

Its not a good look for a club like ours to be airing their dirty laundry in public. In fact, I am completely against it, it wont go down well in the squad and it will undermine trust in the group. 

Digne has previously said that we shouldnt believe everything we read (paraphrased) which is probably as much as he should stay. 

I do accept I dont like Benitez' personality but it is because of stunts like this in the past. He has a history of bust ups with players (that doesnt lead anywhere good btw and talking shit in press conferences too. If you want to accept his words on face value then that is your choice but there are always two sides to the story. 

On 03/01/2022 at 13:42, Palfy said:

To be honest I’m sick of the last few years just going through the motions and finishing mid table having spent half a billion, and not seeing any improvement, I would stick with him to the bitter end of the season, I don’t think we will go down, but if that was to happen it could prove the best thing to happen and give us the best opportunity to rebuild and come back a better team, instead of the constant management out management in players in players out, and nothing for the supporters to look forward too, so I wouldn’t get rid of him this season. 

There you go Steve just not in the Benitez thread. 

1 hour ago, StevO said:

That was a brilliant day. If I’m not mistaken it’s when Roberto asked Lukaku to play on the right wing so he could bully the left back (Monreal maybe?) and he goes and scores two goals against him. Great example of a manager finding a weakness in the opposition, coming up with a plan, convincing a key player to play out of position and have it all come together. 
As shite as it all turned out, Roberto did come up with these plans from time to time and it was great to see. 

Don't be surprised if he's number one with the bookies to replace Rafa after the Euros...

1 hour ago, StevO said:

Maybe I just didn’t remember it because I was shocked you would keep him on even if we went down. Wow! And I thought your opinion on Gana was crazy 😂

Never been one to run with the crowd Steve individualism gets you noticed and gives you a voice, even if that voice is bullshit 😂

1 hour ago, Btay said:

Yep. Moshiri jumped and sacked him when he should have backed him with 1 window to see what could happen. This for me is the exact moment our players got the mentality they can down tools and the manager will take the brunt 

Id take him back, but I think he had to go at the time. We were on a very slippery slope and after his comments to Carragher that he would rather lose playing his football than try something else, he pretty much signed his own papers. 

6 hours ago, StevO said:

That was a brilliant day. If I’m not mistaken it’s when Roberto asked Lukaku to play on the right wing so he could bully the left back (Monreal maybe?) and he goes and scores two goals against him. Great example of a manager finding a weakness in the opposition, coming up with a plan, convincing a key player to play out of position and have it all come together. 
As shite as it all turned out, Roberto did come up with these plans from time to time and it was great to see. 

It was a fantastic moment, and really shows how a good manager can motivate his players.

2 hours ago, Cornish Steve said:

It was a fantastic moment, and really shows how a good manager can motivate his players.

And it also shows that if a player follows his managers instructions what is possible. You would have thought Lukaku would have learned a valuable lesson there but obviously not, but at least he had the courage to write an apology for questioning Touchel even if he didn’t mean it.  

I think people forget how bad we were under Martinez and remember him through rose tinted glasses just because he was a nice guy who fully bought into the club and it’s history 

For me he probably did more damage to us than anyone, of all our failed managers he was dealt by far the best hand. He inherited a very good side that had one of the best defences in the Premiership and had just finished 6th .That side also had some top young talent emerging with the likes of Ross Barkley and John Stones. He was the first manager to be given money to splash out on top players so was able to add the likes of Lukaku and Delofeou to that team

Yet he started us off on this slippy slope and we soon had one of the worst defences in the Premiership. It was absolutely the right decision to sack him when we did

Things have just carried on going steadily down hill since then and throw in our piss poor recruitment and that’s what has set us on this path

Even when I watch Belgium now there is a disconnect between the lines. When you watch sides that play with that style (City / Liverpool), the press to win the ball back is instant. 

That doesn't happen with his teams, they allow too much space and don't play compactly enough andthe ball gets through the press too easily. It just becomes too simple for teams to counter attack. 

He did improve a lot of players though (Rom, Barkley, Stones, Naismith) and that first season was probably as good as Distin has ever been. 

9 hours ago, Palfy said:

And it also shows that if a player follows his managers instructions what is possible. You would have thought Lukaku would have learned a valuable lesson there but obviously not, but at least he had the courage to write an apology for questioning Touchel even if he didn’t mean it.  

I take your point, but the key is how it's done. Can you imagine Digne rushing over and hugging Benitez because his manager's strategy and instruction paid off handsomely?

1 hour ago, Cornish Steve said:

I take your point, but the key is how it's done. Can you imagine Digne rushing over and hugging Benitez because his manager's strategy and instruction paid off handsomely?

Can’t imagine any player hugging Benitez in celebration 😂

Quick, someone find a YouTube clip showing a player hugging Rafa after a goal.