IGNORED

Ellis Simms

we sounds like Rangers interested in purchasing him - well they have set the bar for the 'value' of young promising players in January for a right back - using that as a yard stick then what would they be looking to pay for a goal scorer? 

Almost a shame we got Patterson in January and not going for him now -Ellis as part of the deal may have good him a couple of million cheaper. 

Anyway, I think we can say loan was a success. 

I wouldn't mind seeing what he could do around the first team for 6month with Lampard et al. At least if he went on load again in January - he would have a better understanding of the 'new Everton'

1 hour ago, RuffRob said:

we sounds like Rangers interested in purchasing him - well they have set the bar for the 'value' of young promising players in January for a right back - using that as a yard stick then what would they be looking to pay for a goal scorer? 

Almost a shame we got Patterson in January and not going for him now -Ellis as part of the deal may have good him a couple of million cheaper. 

Anyway, I think we can say loan was a success. 

I wouldn't mind seeing what he could do around the first team for 6month with Lampard et al. At least if he went on load again in January - he would have a better understanding of the 'new Everton'

I like that!

• 3 weeks later...

https://www.toffeeweb.com/season/21-22/comment/editorial/42281.html

I thought this was quite a good review of Simms development and I also agree with the conclusion.

Whilst I don't necessarily see a Premier League quality footballer in the bits I have seen of him, if he is going to make it at this level, I think has more chance of doing it on loan at a decent club in the Championship than lingering around our bench getting a few minutes every 2 or 3 weeks. 

I would give him his opportunity as back up to DCL instead of Rondon or buying another bench striker that we don’t have the funds for any way, he’s had some decent loans already and scored where ever he’s been, maybe not prolifically but still gave a good return. Most importantly he is natural finisher and has scored some cracking goals that’s the hardest thing to try and teach how to finish, he may lack some positional sense but with some good coaching and being In and around the first team it can only benefit him. 

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, duncanmckenzieismagic said:

Surely if we are letting Simms go out on loan we are confident of bringing at least one striker in?

Probably not, I think the board will be happy to see us head into the season with DCL and Rondon, regardless of how poor the latter is and how hot and cold Dominic can be.

1 hour ago, duncanmckenzieismagic said:

Surely if we are letting Simms go out on loan we are confident of bringing at least one striker in?

Who knows, I really thought he would get a chance as back up to DCL this season, he went with the team to the state’s, yet hasn't had a minute in any of the friendlies and is now off on loan. 

20 minutes ago, Palfy said:

Who knows, I really thought he would get a chance as back up to DCL this season, he went with the team to the state’s, yet hasn't had a minute in any of the friendlies and is now off on loan. 

Not a good sign, is it? Doesn’t sound like Frank or other coaches rated him enough going into the preseason matches to give him minutes over Rondon. 

2 hours ago, duncanmckenzieismagic said:

Possibly but it could also just be that in a pinch Frank is alright playing Gordon, Gray, Dele, whoever you top if it came to that. Backup striker is important but less so then a central defender, midfielders etc.. so maybe it’s just a budget thing and/or down the list of priorities. 

5 hours ago, Fosse Captain said:

I’m not convinced the Broadheads, Simms and Dobbins are ever going to be good enough. Successive managers have sacked them off on loan.

At the age they are now, you’d think they’d be getting ‘impact’ minutes in the first team if they had something about them. 

Broadhead is 24 so certainly he’s not likely to break through. Simms is 21 so still a question. Dobbin is a full two years younger at 19 so a successful high level loan would put him on a good path for the first team 

1 hour ago, SpartyBlue said:

Broadhead is 24 so certainly he’s not likely to break through. Simms is 21 so still a question. Dobbin is a full two years younger at 19 so a successful high level loan would put him on a good path for the first team 

Fair enough on Dobbin, I hadn't checked his age but the other 2 wont make it. 

Simms will be 22 going on 23 when he comes back from a loan at a newly promoted championship side who are going to struggle. Unless he tears it up, he'll be gone next summer 

1 hour ago, Fosse Captain said:

Fair enough on Dobbin, I hadn't checked his age but the other 2 wont make it. 

Simms will be 22 going on 23 when he comes back from a loan at a newly promoted championship side who are going to struggle. Unless he tears it up, he'll be gone next summer 

He had a decent loan last year and the year prior. You just never know if it’s going to *click* for these guys. He could certainly still progress. If he doesn’t show something this season I agree that it’s unlikely he’s going to break through with us. This is his chance. A good Championship loan should put him in the mix. I think sometimes we forget how big the jump is from the U-23’s to the best league in the world. For every Gordon or DCL there are 10 or 20 or 100 who don’t make it.

3 minutes ago, SpartyBlue said:

He had a decent loan last year and the year prior. You just never know if it’s going to *click* for these guys. He could certainly still progress. If he doesn’t show something this season I agree that it’s unlikely he’s going to break through with us. This is his chance. A good Championship loan should put him in the mix. I think sometimes we forget how big the junk is from the U-23’s to the best league in the world. For every Gordon or DCL there are 10 or 20 or 100 who don’t make it.

There's still a lot of rubbish that gets through. 🙂

10 minutes ago, SpartyBlue said:

Well there are a lot of players promising enough to get a look. Many more get that look and don’t last long then establish themselves in the league 

Indeed! But my comment was aimed at your line in bold for a reason - if you read it carefully, you will see. 🙂

I feel sorry for those kids that invest their youth and effort with a top club only to find their dreams dashed and  that they are not going to attain the standard required. On the other hand it does give them the chance as professionals in the lower leagues.

8 hours ago, Fosse Captain said:

I’m not convinced the Broadheads, Simms and Dobbins are ever going to be good enough. Successive managers have sacked them off on loan.

At the age they are now, you’d think they’d be getting ‘impact’ minutes in the first team if they had something about them. 

I’ve been banging this drum on here for approaching 20 years; most don’t make it.

Are these players international level at their age groups? England won the under 20s World Cup with Kenny, Dowel, Lookman and DCL all starting the final, as well as Tom Davies being rested from the squad after a busy season in the premier league. Even a group of lads who did that at the respective age group couldn’t all break into the Everton team and hold a regular position. 

If a youngster makes it and keeps their place fantastic, but it more than likely won’t happen. Anthony Gordon has just got there, so chances are it’ll be a long time before the next one. 
I know I’m a miserable bastard with this stuff, but it just doesn’t happen often enough.