IGNORED

James Rodríguez

12 minutes ago, London Blue said:

He was our most creative player, an area we seriously lack quality players in. If he wanted to stay and play I would love him to as he is genuinely world class. I just think that he came to work with Carlo and the promise of European football this season. With neither now happening I don't think he wants to be here, so best for him to go and us to find other players.

Can't argue with that, summed up nicely.

42 minutes ago, London Blue said:

He was our most creative player, an area we seriously lack quality players in. If he wanted to stay and play I would love him to as he is genuinely world class. I just think that he came to work with Carlo and the promise of European football this season. With neither now happening I don't think he wants to be here, so best for him to go and us to find other players.

I don’t agree with that. If he wants to be somewhere else then no point in keeping him. His best days are also behind him, so I’m not sure there will be too many teams wanting to take the chance. I’ll be gutted to see him go, but if he does I’ll understand. Even more as he has apparently got previous issues with Rafa. But haven’t we all. 😂

Even before Benitez has been announced it sounds very much like he will be off. I really don't see him as a Benitez type player. Do you think we would get much of a fee for James when he goes? I have read £10M in places - realistic? 

Reading up his contracted salary is around £140k a week (but wage cut to £90K due to COVID and in line with rest of squad COVID % wage cut - apparently).

James's wages would cover at least two very decent young prospects, a la Matheus Nunes

I also wonder how much compensation we might be looking to get for Ancelotti's runner to Madrid - £10M? that would seem fair to me - payback the wages we essentially wasted last year on him!!!. I imagine Benitez wages would be at least half of what we had been paying Ancelotti. 

The saving on managers wages would cover two more players.

I am beginning to think we may have actually dodged a bullet in Ancelloti going, and perhaps James along with him.

This substantial amount of money might actually go to better use this coming season. 

40 minutes ago, Sibdane said:

I’ve been feeling like I wouldn’t be too bummed if he went, but man would I love it if he came back and gave his all. 

It is good to see him back and I think I feel exactly the same - When he was on form last year, he was on another level.

But I don't just see him suited to living in the North West of England. Maybe it will be a bit different this season with being allowed out and about and playing in front of a stadium of fans chanting your name.

If he stays and plays like we know he can - great. If he moves on and we get a few quid in for him then I will not worry to much either as he is toward the end of his career. We do however need to be bringing in a creative player in his place if he does go this summer. 

I also wonder if being dump on by the Columbia National team may influence his focus on his club team.  

• 2 weeks later...

He seems like a happy, joker of a guy who is generally laughing and smiling, unlike say Richarlison.

the fact he has a smile on his face at training or on the beach doesn’t really say anything to me about his desire to play for Everton.

Kean on the other hand doesn’t look too happy but maybe he also carries Richarlison’s resting bitch face!

3 hours ago, FairWooney said:

He seems like a happy, joker of a guy who is generally laughing and smiling, unlike say Richarlison.

the fact he has a smile on his face at training or on the beach doesn’t really say anything to me about his desire to play for Everton.

Kean on the other hand doesn’t look too happy but maybe he also carries Richarlison’s resting bitch face!

Though I agree about Richarlison’s bitch face on the pitch, that’s not what he’s like off the pitch. Check out the Brazil All Or Nothing on Prime. He’s the life and soul of the party when he’s in training and around the other players. 

8 hours ago, Elston Gunnn said:

I hope Benitez installs James as our 10.  Even when nominally the RW, he wants to move inside to use his superb left foot.  Playing him as RW seriously weakens our defense on the right side.  He’s neither physically nor tactically inclined to defend much at all.  He’ll amble back to cover some space when the opponent has a corner, but otherwise he’s mentally and physically lethargic on defense.

Need an Iwobi miracle or an energetic RW from the transfer market.

James is an offensive savant and a defensive pillock.  Adore him for what he can do, brilliantly.  Accept, and curse him soto voce, for what he can’t or won’t do.

Great post in the main but an Iwobi miracle? More chance of me turning water into wine.

15 hours ago, MikeO said:

Great post in the main but an Iwobi miracle? More chance of me turning water into wine.

Ha, no I don’t expect an Iwobi miracle.  But I definitely hope James is not our RW.  Need some pacey winger in the transfer market.

If we do not secure a new, real RW this summer, and if the squad is mostly unchanged, I’d prefer a 3-4-1-2 with Digne and Coleman as wingbacks, 2 strikers, with James as controlling 10.

Still time, as the transfer window runs through August, but things seem especially unsettled, as we need to sell several players, add a couple, and cope with Richarlison’s late arrival.

Whatever the several squad issues, my view is that James can be an effective 10, but that’s the only position he can play effectively.  (Unless he was never healthy or in shape last season, and that’s the single reason he was useless defensively.)

1 hour ago, Elston Gunnn said:

Ha, no I don’t expect an Iwobi miracle.  But I definitely hope James is not our RW.  Need some pacey winger in the transfer market.

If we do not secure a new, real RW this summer, and if the squad is mostly unchanged, I’d prefer a 3-4-1-2 with Digne and Coleman as wingbacks, 2 strikers, with James as controlling 10.

Still time, as the transfer window runs through August, but things seem especially unsettled, as we need to sell several players, add a couple, and cope with Richarlison’s late arrival.

Whatever the several squad issues, my view is that James can be an effective 10, but that’s the only position he can play effectively.  (Unless he was never healthy or in shape last season, and that’s the single reason he was useless defensively.)

rafa has used the 4231 everywhere he's gone, i read some tactical articles, he's used a 433 a little, and 343 a little at newcastle, but 4231 is his preferred.  i would expect to see james in the 10 role behind DCL, with 2 wingers beside him.  2 wingers are the position battles i will be watching this summer and early season, i think that is where there will be the most competition and opportunity.  i'm seeing it like this:

Pickford

New RB  Keane Godfrey Digne

Allan  doucoure

Winger          James         Winger

DCL

should be interesting to what happens with gomes/davies/gbamin/delph/gylfi.  

1 hour ago, Elston Gunnn said:

Though I agree with most of what you say, there were many occasions last season (when we were on form granted) that James was very useful on the right. But it only worked when we had both Doucoure and Coleman. He needs legs around him. When he plays on the right he creates a lot of space in the middle for himself to drift into and cause problems. But those runners are needed to cover him. 
If he stays there are games that playing on the right will suit him and create chances for us. But that should be judged by what players we have available and who we are playing against. 
If James’ defensive qualities are a concern then we aren’t making the most of his talents. Personally couldn’t care less about him defensively, I want him winning the game for us at the top of the pitch.