IGNORED

James Rodríguez

2 hours ago, markjazzbassist said:

rafa has used the 4231 everywhere he's gone, i read some tactical articles, he's used a 433 a little, and 343 a little at newcastle, but 4231 is his preferred.  i would expect to see james in the 10 role behind DCL, with 2 wingers beside him.  2 wingers are the position battles i will be watching this summer and early season, i think that is where there will be the most competition and opportunity.  i'm seeing it like this:

Pickford

New RB  Keane Godfrey Digne

Allan  doucoure

Winger          James         Winger

DCL

should be interesting to what happens with gomes/davies/gbamin/delph/gylfi.  

I am not sure if Rafa will play with wingers. I was thinking about this before and I couldn't think of many wingers that have done well under him. The ones I could think of were more inside forwards of wide 10's. 

With the James question, my view is that he has to chip in defensively wherever he plays. You can't let anyone get away with not putting in a shift. If sides like City, Liverpool and United cannot get away with one person not pulling their weight then we definitely can't. That doesn't matter whether they play wide or down in the middle. If you give a Premier League side a numerical advantage, they will make the most of it. 

51 minutes ago, markjazzbassist said:

It was a massive miss, unforgivable, I’ll ban myself 😂

No, no, that would be the softest of reds.  At most a yellow, and possibly just an obvious foul.

I once posted a brilliant analysis of why we should start a particular set of lads.  Alas, I listed 12 players, for which I was laughed off the pitch.  Though some conceded that we had a better chance of taking a point with the 12.

19 minutes ago, Bailey said:

I am not sure if Rafa will play with wingers. I was thinking about this before and I couldn't think of many wingers that have done well under him. The ones I could think of were more inside forwards of wide 10's. 

With the James question, my view is that he has to chip in defensively wherever he plays. You can't let anyone get away with not putting in a shift. If sides like City, Liverpool and United cannot get away with one person not pulling their weight then we definitely can't. That doesn't matter whether they play wide or down in the middle. If you give a Premier League side a numerical advantage, they will make the most of it. 

Except he's just gone and bought two of them

7 minutes ago, chicagoblue said:

Except he's just gone and bought two of them

This is why it is a bit unusual. 

I certainly dont remember any of his sides being known for their width. He could be planning on playing them as inside forwards, cutting inside on their strong foot? 

The training videos look like he is playing with the front 3 quite narrow with the width coming from the full backs but it is very early days to be nailing him down to a formation from those short clips.

Edit:

Looking at the Blackburn highlights it was Gordon left, Iwobi right and Kean down the middle, presumably with James as a 10. Gordon was the one running behind and across the box more akim to a second striker (first shot, then just missing the header for the second clip) and Iwobi is the one dropping into space (repeatedly). They are certainly both playing in the channel on the edge of the 18 yard box rather than playing with chalk on their boots as a winger.

1 hour ago, StevO said:

...  there were many occasions last season (when we were on form granted) that James was very useful on the right. But it only worked when we had both Doucoure and Coleman. He needs legs around him. When he plays on the right he creates a lot of space in the middle for himself to drift into and cause problems. But those runners are needed to cover him.

I concede this is a good point.  Our season was so injury-plagued that the legs were often missing, thus exposing James’s defensive weakness.

But there is this fundamental debate about just how detrimental are James’s defensive deficiencies, and SteveO and Bailey debate it here.

1 hour ago, StevO said:

Personally couldn’t care less about him defensively, I want him winning the game for us at the top of the pitch. 

14 minutes ago, Bailey said:

With the James question, my view is that he has to chip in defensively wherever he plays. You can't let anyone get away with not putting in a shift. If sides like City, Liverpool and United cannot get away with one person not pulling their weight then we definitely can't.

I’m inclined to side with SteveO, but maybe there would be a TT consensus  on Bailey’s “chip in” standard?

I do understand the idea that all 11 players need to defend, but not all 11 need to attack. I don’t mind different players needing to do different jobs, I don’t expect Michael Keane to score from open play, but I expect him to do the job at the back. I know that’s a bit extreme, but if you have a player who is a special talent when it comes to attacking I don’t mind him taking a breather when we don’t have the ball. They just have to make the difference when we do have the ball. The minute they don’t make that difference it all falls down. 
Again, extremes but Barca done expect Messi to be tracking runners, but he has to go and win them the game. We need the same from James. 

I hope that makes some sense and not just ramblings of a ginger who’s spent too long in the sun. 

12 minutes ago, StevO said:

I do understand the idea that all 11 players need to defend, but not all 11 need to attack. I don’t mind different players needing to do different jobs, I don’t expect Michael Keane to score from open play, but I expect him to do the job at the back. I know that’s a bit extreme, but if you have a player who is a special talent when it comes to attacking I don’t mind him taking a breather when we don’t have the ball. They just have to make the difference when we do have the ball. The minute they don’t make that difference it all falls down. 
Again, extremes but Barca done expect Messi to be tracking runners, but he has to go and win them the game. We need the same from James. 

I hope that makes some sense and not just ramblings of a ginger who’s spent too long in the sun. 

😆

You say Keane doesn't have to attack but he does. He needs to be in positions to receive the ball, play forward passes etc. It might not be scoring goals but it is still contributing to our attacking player. 

James doesn't need to do loads but he jusy has to get himself in the right positions, press with the team, and track whoever he is meant to. He started off last season well but game after game it dropped off and he was out of sync with the rest of the side. 

It bugs me a lot because I have a player in my 5-a-side team that does the same thing. When the 3 outfield players are singing from the same hymn sheet and 1 isn't you just end up chasing shadows. You can get away with it against some sides, but come up against a decent team and they rip you apart.

I will also add that given Barcas decline they should maybe consider getting him to do a bit more. He didn't get the same luxury under Pep!

4 hours ago, Bailey said:

😆

You say Keane doesn't have to attack but he does. He needs to be in positions to receive the ball, play forward passes etc. It might not be scoring goals but it is still contributing to our attacking player. 

James doesn't need to do loads but he jusy has to get himself in the right positions, press with the team, and track whoever he is meant to. He started off last season well but game after game it dropped off and he was out of sync with the rest of the side. 

It bugs me a lot because I have a player in my 5-a-side team that does the same thing. When the 3 outfield players are singing from the same hymn sheet and 1 isn't you just end up chasing shadows. You can get away with it against some sides, but come up against a decent team and they rip you apart.

I will also add that given Barcas decline they should maybe consider getting him to do a bit more. He didn't get the same luxury under Pep!

I disagree but it’s really late. Can’t consider a centre half passing the ball forward as contributing to the attack. It’s like saying my season ticket fee contributes to the transfer budget. 
Im falling asleep here thoigh. 

1 hour ago, Bill said:

James is a favourite of yours Steve, so on this occasion you really want it to be true. 😀

I like good footballers Bill, and he’s a very good footballer! 
Im tempted to get some tickets for the friendly at Old Trafford (probably home tickets) just to try to see him in the flesh in case he leaves. 

2 hours ago, StevO said:

I like good footballers Bill, and he’s a very good footballer! 
Im tempted to get some tickets for the friendly at Old Trafford (probably home tickets) just to try to see him in the flesh in case he leaves. 

I would pick an easy game. I can see Benitez wanting industry over magic in the big games! 

2 hours ago, Matt said:

Yeah, but it's giving false hope. At least, that's how it seems.

From a business point of view the false hope shouldn’t come into it. They want to sell shirts, we currently have one of the most famous players in the world, they should use him for as long as they can. And until he’s gone he’s still an Everton player. 

1 hour ago, StevO said:

From a business point of view the false hope shouldn’t come into it. They want to sell shirts, we currently have one of the most famous players in the world, they should use him for as long as they can. And until he’s gone he’s still an Everton player. 

Oh I know. Its just uncomfortable until the window closes.

It would be nice to at least see him at his majestic best over a season - I am sure the crowd would make him feel so loved - which I think he would feed off. I would be great if he made a good go of it this season.

Benitez might have no other option other than to get a system that will accommodate him. there where plenty of world class player at Madrid he could use instead of James - no so here. 

3 hours ago, duncanmckenzieismagic said:

With the likes of Doucoure, Allan,Gbamin and even Richarlison surely we have adequate industry in the side to afford us the luxury of a bit of magic?

We might do, but whether Benitez sees it that way is a different story!