IGNORED

James Rodríguez

He hasn’t lived up to expectations, but I doubt if anyone would do it they had been separated from their family for a year, most of us have been locked up with family, he’s had the opposite, we need to give a little bit of leeway and see how next season pans out. What we do need to do, is get a faster, more mobile midfield if we trying to build the team around his skill set.

2 hours ago, Wiggytop said:

He hasn’t lived up to expectations, but I doubt if anyone would do it they had been separated from their family for a year, most of us have been locked up with family, he’s had the opposite, we need to give a little bit of leeway and see how next season pans out. What we do need to do, is get a faster, more mobile midfield if we trying to build the team around his skill set.

I think he has lived up to expectations. When he has been fit and played he created chances, lots of them, and scored a few good goals. He played around the same number of games as he usually manages in a season. 
I think he has lived up to exactly what we would expect from him. 

20 hours ago, StevO said:

So, this bollocks about James being tired is still ringing true in people’s ears? Even after Carlo explained that he used the word “fatigued” to describe the calf injury?

@RuffRob might be the first post of yours I’ve disagreed with in about ten years. 

I would like nothing better than to be proved wrong, but think Ancelotti betting on a re-invigorated James consistently providing the goods next season will be a high risk strategy. 

When Ancelotti is asking for commitment, hard work, intensity and 'happy' players at the club (which we will all agree with)- he would be hard pressed to be able to hold James as an example this season. Based purely on my powers of deduction of what I have read and heard, which is all any of us can do, I would have James in the category of one of the players than need to pull his socks up in this department. 

We definitely should not be looking to be building our A game around him next season. We should bring enough offensive players in that will allow James to be Plan B. If he does enough to become the Plan A as the season progresses - then great. But we rely on it at our peril. 

24 minutes ago, RuffRob said:

I would like nothing better than to be proved wrong, but think Ancelotti betting on a re-invigorated James consistently providing the goods next season will be a high risk strategy. 

When Ancelotti is asking for commitment, hard work, intensity and 'happy' players at the club (which we will all agree with)- he would be hard pressed to be able to hold James as an example this season. Based purely on my powers of deduction of what I have read and heard, which is all any of us can do, I would have James in the category of one of the players than need to pull his socks up in this department. 

We definitely should not be looking to be building our A game around him next season. We should bring enough offensive players in that will allow James to be Plan B. If he does enough to become the Plan A as the season progresses - then great. But we rely on it at our peril. 

In the first four months of the season when he was fit and playing, did you have the same opinion? Or do you feel like he’s not pulling his weight just from when we stopped winning?

To me he gave the same level of effort in almost every game, he doesn’t work his socks off, that’s just not what he does. But he creates a moment or two of quality every game. At the start of the season it was the difference that got the points on the board. Towards the end of the season he was still creating these chances when we got him on the pitch. I didn’t see his effort go any lower than when we were winning. I saw it in quite a few of his team mates though. 
The rest of the team won’t be bothered he isn’t busting a gut for the team, so long as he is making the chances when he’s on the pitch. 

We all know he can’t be relied upon for 30+ games, but when we get him on the pitch we win more games. So we need more support in the team, we need more creativity, and when James isn’t there we need the other players to step up. What we saw over the last few months is that no one had it in them to step up. 

1 hour ago, StevO said:

In the first four months of the season when he was fit and playing, did you have the same opinion? Or do you feel like he’s not pulling his weight just from when we stopped winning?

To me he gave the same level of effort in almost every game, he doesn’t work his socks off, that’s just not what he does. But he creates a moment or two of quality every game. At the start of the season it was the difference that got the points on the board. Towards the end of the season he was still creating these chances when we got him on the pitch. I didn’t see his effort go any lower than when we were winning. I saw it in quite a few of his team mates though. 
The rest of the team won’t be bothered he isn’t busting a gut for the team, so long as he is making the chances when he’s on the pitch. 

We all know he can’t be relied upon for 30+ games, but when we get him on the pitch we win more games. So we need more support in the team, we need more creativity, and when James isn’t there we need the other players to step up. What we saw over the last few months is that no one had it in them to step up. 

After the flying start to the season, it looks like we did better with him out of the side. We only beat Fulham, Wolves, Liverpool and Arsenal whereas we won 9 games without him. 

I also disagree about the change in him throughout the season. As soon as the chips went down, his did too. Maybe this has something to do with the calf injuries he has had. For me James is a player that looks like he is putting in a shift at times but most of the time when the team need him to do something, like the Sheffield Utd goal, he isn't interested. A bit like @RuffRob, the impression I get from him is that he isnt that interested about Everton as he is about himself (yes that is very paraphrased! :) )

36 minutes ago, London Blue said:

Don't forget this is his first season in the premier league, and with the re-jigged fixtures we have played a seriously congested schedule.

When he has a chance to rest he can play more regularly. When he plays we are so much more of a threat.

He made 21 starts out of a possible 38 how much rest does one player need. 

58 minutes ago, Palfy said:

He made 21 starts out of a possible 38 how much rest does one player need. 

Well lets see how many he starts in a normal(ish) season.

If he wins us games we would not normally win then it doesn't matter, as long as we get in players who can cover effectively when he is not playing.

On 23/05/2021 at 11:31, StevO said:

Taken from the last press conference on the club website…

Ancelotti said: "James Rodriguez is unfortunately not available for this game. He has not recovered from the problem with his calf. Unfortunately he did not finish the season well. Now he will be focused to prepare for the Copa America with his national team. I hope to have him back next season at his best.

A bit of a James McCarthy scenario in the making going on here. 

Does this mean that instead of risking injury on the pitch he will be sitting on the sofa watching the game and eating Doritos?

Could have been better handled him going early, but I don’t care. Hopefully he’ll come back fit and ready for next season.

Obviously he’s disappointed, but I feel it’s the right decision by his coaches for him them and us, he’s been suffering from the same injury for a fair bit of the season, we have a better chance now of getting him back fit and fresh and hopefully raring to go. 

3 hours ago, StevO said:

Wow, feel sorry for him like, but a summer off would be really good. 
I worry he feels like his national team don’t love him and our fans don’t love him (after the social media shit he’s taken recently) and he’s clearly a player who needs to be loved. 
Get him back here for preseason, get him fit and let’s enjoy him in a blue shirt next season. 

With a new season, a proper pre-season, and some better quality players around him I think he will shine for us. Not every game but enough to make a real difference.

Cant wait to see his reaction to a full, rocking Goodison Park!!

From a selfish point of view, glad he's not having to play for his country this summer. Even more selfish, it would be nice if he decides to retire from International football after this disappointment, and the focus of his football is purely club based.

I think people are maybe misunderstanding my concerns with James, I don't want him out of the door or anything like that, I think he is a fantastic player. I just don't want him getting any special treatment IF there is any sort of 'commitment'  or 'happiness' issue with him at Everton, especially if Ancelotti is calling the team out on this sort of issue. We know there has been a bit of an issue with maybe a lacklustre attitude of some players around the place, so it has to be nipped in the bud and applied to all players, with no exceptions.  

Given his injuries and stop start nature of being available for selection to play for us so far this season (and his general similar type of injury record before he came to us), I just think it is risky to build a team to specifically accommodate him as the fulcrum of the team as our main game plan. There is a reason we where able to get James on a free transfer, as good as he can be he is not without risk - we have seen both sides to this signing this season - the great play, but also the frustration of his lack of game time and ultimate effect on our offensive capabilities. 

I just think it would be foolish to go in to next season on the expectation of having James available week in week out. We need to plan to be competitive without him and consider a fit and available James as a bonus.  The cherry on the cake, so to say. 

55 minutes ago, Romey 1878 said:

He won’t play for us again now. I’m certain of that.

I’m gutted I won’t have ever gotten to see him play live. 

I hope we get a manager who is really keen to work with him and they work it out. 
Im like you Mark, I really want to see him in the flesh at Gp. 

I'm with @Romey 1878, I sadly don't think he will play for us again which is gutting as I was looking forward to seeing him in the flesh. 

That aside though, he just hasn't been fit enough for me to justify losing sleep over him. On form he's probably the best player in the entire squad, but that insane MOTM performance against West Brom seems ages ago, I just hope we can get him back to his best but sadly think that he will move to either Real Madrid with Carlo again or elsewhere on the continent. 

I'm pretty sure he said in a media outlet somewhere that he doesn't fancy playing until he's "old" and is happy to retire in a few years, perhaps he would even move to the likes of the MLS for a year or two.

6 hours ago, markjazzbassist said:

with carlo gone i would think James will be gone as well

I would rather see him leave than to keep him, to be honest. Classy player, but his fitness is a big concern. Wages better spent for someone who's gonna have a real impact week in week out.

• 2 weeks later...