IGNORED

Allan

21 minutes ago, SpartyBlue said:

You could also say they would not have been in a position to win it if they didn’t have Lukaku. 

This is the age long debate about him....  He's effective playing against lesser sides. 

Maybe he should just be used in such games and dropped for the big ones.  Loads of United fans actually said that... Keep him for the lower half games and rest him for top 6 matches etc.  Expensive for that purpose but if it's the difference between 1st and 3rd???

7 minutes ago, Shukes said:

I’m looking forward to seeing this guy. I’ve always been a bit of an all rounder and know how good it feels to make an important tackle, just as much as scoring a goal. 
Everton fans have always put hard work and desire up there above technical skill. 
We love to see a player who will bleed for the shirt!

He also has technical skills he will 100% our best signing this season, he’s going to change the team in ways we haven’t seen since the 80s. 

52 minutes ago, markjazzbassist said:

i missed the first match, not at all impressed with him.  slow, late to everything, not very mobile.  he can pass well, but defensively he worries me.  i hope he improves because we shelled out a decent amount for him

:huh: 

he’s been doing very well in a tough new league and has played every minute (if I remember correctly). Pretty sure he didn’t have a preseason so it’s just a matter of time until he gets up to fitness, as with James too

21 minutes ago, markjazzbassist said:

You didn’t read my post.  I said the issues I had were defensively with him.  You posted offensive stAtS.  I had no issue with the attacking side of his game.

No.... you didn't read my post  13/17 duels won ....  That's not defensively solid???

MJB the bloke has come from a pedestrian league and has become an organiser in our midfield. He's not going to be perfect straight away .... He's far from "not at all impressed" status.

I just felt like he was a bit tactically naive today. Their first goal he had no need to move into that area of the pitch. His role is to stop the counter. He did that a few times where he just vacated spaces that he should have been occupying. It just felt like he was a bit too keen and that came across in his passing at times too. 

I dont think he played badly as such, just wasn't quite at it. 

I will add though that I am not sure about his legs. He is still getting up to full fitness so I will reserve judgment on that until a few more games in.

2 hours ago, Hafnia said:

No.... you didn't read my post  13/17 duels won ....  That's not defensively solid???

MJB the bloke has come from a pedestrian league and has become an organiser in our midfield. He's not going to be perfect straight away .... He's far from "not at all impressed" status.

Compared to what we’ve had to endure for the last few years, I’d say he’s pretty perfect, the art of a good player is to make it look easy. 
Sometimes you’ve needed to play at a decent level to grasp how good a player is, it’s what he does when he hasn’t got the ball that impresses me so much, he organises the players around him constantly talking and gesturing to them, he fills the spaces so well he’s looking to make sure if the opposition win possession there’s no big holes for them to play into, he doesn’t stop trying to be one step a head of them. 
I would say to Mark or anyone who doesn’t feel he’s on it to watch him for 15-20 minutes regardless of the ball position, and you will see how he looks after his area of the pitch it’s a lesson in no how, for me it’s an art and he’s an artist. 
And when he has the ball he’s not to shabby he can shield it, he can turn with it, he can run with it, and his passing long and short is crisp and accurate, and he can do what most people believe was the only thing that went missing in our team tackle and intercept just as well as anyone who’s played for us, but because he does everything so well above, that goes pretty much unnoticed, which I’ve always said winning the ball is just a part of what makes a good player more importantly it’s what you do with it and what effect you have on the game without it. 
For me he has everything in his arsenal you require to be a very good player, and he will prove to be our best player this season for consistency and quality when quietly going about his business, Ancelotti knows his stuff and Allan was top of his list and for me it’s easy to see why. 

31 minutes ago, Palfy said:

Compared to what we’ve had to endure for the last few years, I’d say he’s pretty perfect, the art of a good player is to make it look easy. 
Sometimes you’ve needed to play at a decent level to grasp how good a player is, it’s what he does when he hasn’t got the ball that impresses me so much, he organises the players around him constantly talking and gesturing to them, he fills the spaces so well he’s looking to make sure if the opposition win possession there’s no big holes for them to play into, he doesn’t stop trying to be one step a head of them. 
I would say to Mark or anyone who doesn’t feel he’s on it to watch him for 15-20 minutes regardless of the ball position, and you will see how he looks after his area of the pitch it’s a lesson in no how, for me it’s an art and he’s an artist. 
And when he has the ball he’s not to shabby he can shield it, he can turn with it, he can run with it, and his passing long and short is crisp and accurate, and he can do what most people believe was the only thing that went missing in our team tackle and intercept just as well as anyone who’s played for us, but because he does everything so well above, that goes pretty much unnoticed, which I’ve always said winning the ball is just a part of what makes a good player more importantly it’s what you do with it and what effect you have on the game without it. 
For me he has everything in his arsenal you require to be a very good player, and he will prove to be our best player this season for consistency and quality when quietly going about his business, Ancelotti knows his stuff and Allan was top of his list and for me it’s easy to see why. 

I read somewhere that he took some blame for the first goal .... In short that is bollocks 

If starts with James making a very short pass to Gomes who was flat footed and didn't even stretch his foot to control ... He then didn't try and tackle the played who shifted it to the diangana.

Allan got back and while Mina just allowed diangana to run and shoot - Allan covered the angle to the overlap which was the obvious best option which forced diangana to shoot .... Which Pickford should have done better with. 

That’s exactly how i saw it. Instead of getting dragged into the player running with the ball, he made the decision for him and cut out the slide pass which would have created a one on one. Mina should have had the player covered, but kept backing away and almost gave him option but to shoot.

Allan made an intelligent run.

2 minutes ago, Hafnia said:

I read somewhere that he took some blame for the first goal .... In short that is bollocks 

If starts with James making a very short pass to Gomes who was flat footed and didn't even stretch his foot to control ... He then didn't try and tackle the played who shifted it to the diangana.

Allan got back and while Mina just allowed diangana to run and shoot - Allan covered the angle to the overlap which was the obvious best option which forced diangana to shoot .... Which Pickford should have done better with. 

Exactly how I saw it especially your point on the overlap, he was the only player from us busting a gut to get back, you could quite clearly see he diverts his run to the left of diangana, why do that, because he’s not going to get to Diangana he’s expecting like everyone who witnessed the goal that Mina is going to stand his ground and try to block him at 30-35 yards out which would more than likely result in a pass to which Allan was trying to cover, but Mina did the unthinkable and backed off his man for 15-20 yards allowing the shot from 18 yards, that was piss poor defending regardless of what happened leading up to that moment he was in position to do his job and he didn’t do it, could Pickford have done better I don’t know possibly, I’d like to see it from behind was Mina shielding his few I don’t know, but the shot took me totally by surprise. 

2 minutes ago, Palfy said:

Exactly how I saw it especially your point on the overlap, he was the only player from us busting a gut to get back, you could quite clearly see he diverts his run to the left of diangana, why do that, because he’s not going to get to Diangana he’s expecting like everyone who witnessed the goal that Mina is going to stand his ground and try to block him at 30-35 yards out which would more than likely result in a pass to which Allan was trying to cover, but Mina did the unthinkable and backed off his man for 15-20 yards allowing the shot from 18 yards, that was piss poor defending regardless of what happened leading up to that moment he was in position to do his job and he didn’t do it, could Pickford have done better I don’t know possibly, I’d like to see it from behind was Mina shielding his few I don’t know, but the shot took me totally by surprise. 

Not sure what Pickford was doing with both dives. His arms barely stretched from his side.  

Diangana.... Genius by Moyes selling him..... Looks a player. 

I dont think there is any question that Allan did as much as he could do after the ball was turned over. Its just really sloppy play by James and Gomes not being on the same wavelength and that then draws Allan into the problem. 

Backing off is the right thing to do by Mina. You see its the right thing because it buys time and Allan is almost able to get back. Problem is he stands 4-5 yards off the attacker. You do that in Sunday League and your inviting a shot, let alone at Premier League level.

This whole blaming Pickford is nonsense though. 

13 minutes ago, Bailey said:

I dont think there is any question that Allan did as much as he could do after the ball was turned over. Its just really sloppy play by James and Gomes not being on the same wavelength and that then draws Allan into the problem. 

Backing off is the right thing to do by Mina. You see its the right thing because it buys time and Allan is almost able to get back. Problem is he stands 4-5 yards off the attacker. You do that in Sunday League and your inviting a shot, let alone at Premier League level.

This whole blaming Pickford is nonsense though. 

First off.... Gomes was flat footed - what  is all that about? Basic football and that is lazy, sheer laziness and generally in keeping with how he is when he's not in the game. We are in the final third, every player needs to be active to the ball. 

Wavelength - He was accessible for the pass and when you are accessible for the pass you get on your toes as if you are accepting it.  Standing still with your weight on your heels is shite. Even when he seen the ball go passed him he didn't even attempt to tackle the man who picked it up.

Allan was 20 yards behind diangana who on his run back spotted the overlap that was going to minas right hand side. Are you saying he should have gone with the man on the ball who was running at mina and fouled/pull him back (cos there was no chance he was getting in front).

The correct choice was to cover the overlap which would have given a one on one and leave the centre halves to do a one go/one cover. How on earth you think otherwise is beyond me.  

Pickford was beaten by a shot from 20+ yards and never got off his toes. 

7 minutes ago, Hafnia said:

First off.... Gomes was flat footed - what  is all that about? Basic football and that is lazy, sheer laziness and generally in keeping with how he is when he's not in the game. We are in the final third, every player needs to be active to the ball. 

Wavelength - He was accessible for the pass and when you are accessible for the pass you get on your toes as if you are accepting it.  Standing still with your weight on your heels is shite. Even when he seen the ball go passed him he didn't even attempt to tackle the man who picked it up.

Allan was 20 yards behind diangana who on his run back spotted the overlap that was going to minas right hand side. Are you saying he should have gone with the man on the ball who was running at mina and fouled/pull him back (cos there was no chance he was getting in front).

The correct choice was to cover the overlap which would have given a one on one and leave the centre halves to do a one go/one cover. How on earth you think otherwise is beyond me.  

Pickford was beaten by a shot from 20+ yards and never got off his toes. 

To me it looks like Gomes was taking a step back to give James room to dribble into the space he was in. Saying you should always be on your toes is a great cliche but its clear that he wasn't expecting the pass and had shifted his weight accordingly. It something that happens all the time. One player thinks one player is doing one thing and the other thinks something else. Trying to blame Gomes but not also share that blame with James just shows bias.

As for the tackle, again he tries to get across and as does Allan. Never of them get there. Allan also wasn't "on his toes" either btw. They are both clearly not able to get there otherwise they would have made the tackle. Both of them had shifted their bodyweight to not be moving in the direction of the ball that was played. 

No I'm not saying that about the run of Allan and never have. I don't know where you have got that from. 

Pickford wasnt getting close to it even if he had a jet pack. Again another bias.

Another thing I will say about Allan's role in the goal is that Coleman and the rest of the midfield are forward and ahead of the ball. His primary role as a defensive midfielder when we are in possession is to stop the counter attack. I can see why he gets sucked into the attack but he has made the decision to move from a position that could stop or affect a counter attack into one that joins our own attack. The only dangerous West Brom players are their wingers and collectively we gave one of them acres of space to run into and to expose our centre backs. I certainly have sympathy with him because there should have been no risk of losing possession at the time but the fact remains. 

Thats what makes football so great because any number of split second decisions can end up in a goal. If James passes sooner to Gomes he isnt on his heels. If Allan stays back, he might break it up (but might make no difference). If Mina steps up he might make the tackle (or Diangana might skin him). The point is that for a number of different reasons it was an avoidable goal and one that we can't afford against the better teams.

2 hours ago, Bailey said:

To me it looks like Gomes was taking a step back to give James room to dribble into the space he was in. Saying you should always be on your toes is a great cliche but its clear that he wasn't expecting the pass and had shifted his weight accordingly. It something that happens all the time. One player thinks one player is doing one thing and the other thinks something else. Trying to blame Gomes but not also share that blame with James just shows bias.

As for the tackle, again he tries to get across and as does Allan. Never of them get there. Allan also wasn't "on his toes" either btw. They are both clearly not able to get there otherwise they would have made the tackle. Both of them had shifted their bodyweight to not be moving in the direction of the ball that was played. 

No I'm not saying that about the run of Allan and never have. I don't know where you have got that from. 

Pickford wasnt getting close to it even if he had a jet pack. Again another bias.

Another thing I will say about Allan's role in the goal is that Coleman and the rest of the midfield are forward and ahead of the ball. His primary role as a defensive midfielder when we are in possession is to stop the counter attack. I can see why he gets sucked into the attack but he has made the decision to move from a position that could stop or affect a counter attack into one that joins our own attack. The only dangerous West Brom players are their wingers and collectively we gave one of them acres of space to run into and to expose our centre backs. I certainly have sympathy with him because there should have been no risk of losing possession at the time but the fact remains. 

Thats what makes football so great because any number of split second decisions can end up in a goal. If James passes sooner to Gomes he isnt on his heels. If Allan stays back, he might break it up (but might make no difference). If Mina steps up he might make the tackle (or Diangana might skin him). The point is that for a number of different reasons it was an avoidable goal and one that we can't afford against the better teams.

Have you actually watched this back or are you being a hipster? 

Gomes was the only pass on.... James telegraphed it.  The only excuse I can offer Gomes is that half our team have been so crap at passing that they expect it to a stationary person rather than into their stride

Screenshot_2020-09-20-15-24-34-053_com.android.chrome.jpg

Screenshot_2020-09-20-15-25-15-194_com.android.chrome.jpg

For the tackle gomes pulled out ... Simple as that.  Injury of whatever, he pulled out. 

I don't have agendas. I'm stating facts.  You think Allan should have tackled and gone through both Allan and the wba player?

Not saying Pickford should have saved it ... I'm saying that based on goalkeeping fundamentals he gave himself the worst chance possible to save it.  Everything was wrong, his footwork, position, and reaction time.