IGNORED

Leeds (Away) Wednesday 3 February

markjazzbassist

4 hours ago, Zoo 2.0 said:

Not looking forward to this at all, think we will be well beaten but these pre-match feelings are usually the recipe for the best nights. Hopefully the lads make a fool out of me and play Leeds off the park, given our last two results I would take a 1-0 win with a deflected goal off the referee's backside. 

Just win Everton, just win.

We love you Everton, we do 💙

André Gomes MOTM for me, he was on another level today and absolutely ran the midfield with Doucoure alongside - Godfrey deserves a mention too.

I'd 100% start Olsen against United too, that treble save midway through the half was sublime (and I don't think Pickford would have kept it out).

Edit: In other news, Brighton lead 1-0!

Oof got a bit tight at the end there but that's a good 3 points.

Leeds made the running all that second half and we looked shell shocked for a lot of it. 

I though Godfrey and Mina played really well. A lot won't like what Mina did but its just what we needed (minus a couple of silly free kicks too close to goal). Olsen made some big saves in that second half too. He might even be the Motm and I would say he probably deserves the number one spot at the moment.

Only 3 players really disappointed me, Holgate who is a very average defender, Siggy who vanished as time went on and Dom who would have had a real shocker if it wasn't for the goal.

Just about getting down off the ceiling, don’t want to watch another 2nd half like that again, resilient at the back but poor in front of goal, we had the chances to put it to bed. Good games from Gomes, Mina, Digne, Doucoure and Godfrey brilliant once again, Olsen kept us in the game and made sure we won the 3 points. DCL off but still made a nuisance of himself, should have had a hatrick, Siggy drifted out, Richy tried and showed improvement, Iwobi so erratic never sure what he will do, Holgate poor tonight, slow to hoof the ball for the first and awful pull on shirt to get the yellow and give away free kick in dangerous area. 
3 points which we’ve got the be happy with and much improved from the weekend.

1 hour ago, Bailey said:

Holgate who is a very average defender.

I do think he is our weakest centre back (but handy for his versatility without a 1st choice RB) - I wouldn’t be opposed to selling him if a big offer came in - £25m + with the English premium. I like him but think he’s quite sluggish - haven’t decided if it’s his pace or thinking. I just think Godfrey is so much better and Branthwaite has much more potential - Keane and Mina need to stay as senior pros - both have been outstanding under Ancelotti.

1 hour ago, Bailey said:

Dom who would have had a real shocker if it wasn't for the goal.

Partially agree with this - he’s always a pest and puts a shift in but his decision making is poor. Give him time outside the box - that’s where he struggles. Ancelotti has been so clever by turning him into the ‘fox in the box’ as it plays to his strengths. His hold up play is generally good but his link-up is poor - I’d go as far to say that this is part of the reason that Richarlison has been so poor recently too - Dom misses so many opportunities to give Richarlison clear chances. Don’t get me wrong, I think Calvert-Lewin is a massive player for us but think his all round game is limited... as long as he scores and we win though!

9 hours ago, Zoo 2.0 said:

1. Skiing rather than watching Everton?! Shambolic. 

2. Out of interest, where do you live/ski? The only place to ski is at an artificial centre, unless that's what you mean?

Think it's a case of resting where we can, given how badly the "strong" XI played against Leicester and Newcastle a rotation isn't that bad an idea IMO. Think people will be happy just to see one goalkeeper on the bench too!

If we can stay in the game and be at 0-0 around the hour mark then James is a great option to have. 

I live in Cleveland Ohio.  But I drive 2-3 hours to Upstate New York and ski in the mountains there.  We have small resorts near us but it’s worth it to drive a little bit you get way more vertical and the length of the runs are longer too.  I’ve never skied at an artificial place.  My wife did when she lived in South Korea but I never have.

EDIT- watched the highlights, very happy with the win.  

8 hours ago, markjazzbassist said:

I live in Cleveland Ohio.  But I drive 2-3 hours to Upstate New York and ski in the mountains there.  We have small resorts near us but it’s worth it to drive a little bit you get way more vertical and the length of the runs are longer too.  I’ve never skied at an artificial place.  My wife did when she lived in South Korea but I never have.

EDIT- watched the highlights, very happy with the win.  

We have some great prolonged snow in Scotland at the moment, best snowfall in years  - but the whole country is in lockdown at the moment - so nobody can ski. 

41 minutes ago, RuffRob said:

You living, working or holidaying there?  Where abouts? like most of the country - I would love to make plans for a get away for a week or two - and a skiing break would be my preference.  

Been here for 12 years and leaving for the Wirral weekend after next :crying: 

30 minutes ago, Matt said:

Been here for 12 years and leaving for the Wirral weekend after next :crying: 

I am green with envy - my passions are mountain biking and skiing - so love Switzerland and the rest of the Alps. Think the only benefit of the Wirral is its nearer to get to games. 

back on topic, now had time to reflect. 

Think this was a massive win for us. The win keeps us in right in the mix at the top of the table. 

I think Ancelotti picked pretty much the right team of players for the Leeds game - it was totally the wrong type of game for James (so he sat him out). Pretty much most of us would have put him in - he's James!!. I had him in my starting line up. Godfrey was storming in the middle with Keane being rested.

Gomes stepped up to the mark in James's absence and had a great game - a James like pass to Digne for the first goal.

Gylfi also stepped up in his absence and put in a great corner for the second goal, and was the quickest to react in the box for the first goal. 

First half I think we player as good as we have been this season - We played Leeds at their own game, won second balls and showed the quality when it counted.  Although Leeds had more possession, we actually deserved out lead. 

I think if we had weathered the storm in that first 10min of the second half, Leeds would have run out of puff a bit and think it would have been a more similar half to the first half. Second half Leeds got a goal at probably the worst time for us - they where always going to come out at the beginning of the half full throttle and with some momentum after a half time rollicking.  A bit of fortune in their goal - an awkward bounce for Holgate to clear and the shot goes through a pair of legs. It give Leeds that boost and life line they need keep that initial momentum going for the rest of the half.

It did feel a bit back to the wall in the second half.  Sometimes you have to also give the opposition some credit - not one of their players heads dropped and not one stop working for the whole game. They HAD to get a goal and we had a lead to defend, so I guess the way the second half played out was inevitable - there player worked really hard to put that pressure on to us.

However, we didn't concede a second goal, and when you look back at actual decent chances on goal in the second half, we probably had as many as them at the end. On reflection, it could have just as easily have been 1:3 as 2:2 at the end. 

If some of the player had been struggling with the concept of it being hard work that wins games over quality, they should be in doubt about that now. Put the hard work in and the quality of the team simply looks after itself.  

1 hour ago, RuffRob said:

I am green with envy - my passions are mountain biking and skiing - so love Switzerland and the rest of the Alps. Think the only benefit of the Wirral is its nearer to get to games. 

Aye, that and family. really don’t want to leave but that’s the situation we’re in. I’ll be keeping an eye out for jobs that we can move back for but I’m not confident 

12 hours ago, markjazzbassist said:

I skied on artificial stuff after three school skiing holidays, trained on the army's slope in Aldershot and competed at county level for Surrey. Was fun but nothing like the real stuff, probably technology has moved on in the last 40+ years though so sure it's better now.