IGNORED

Ifs, buts and Maybes

1 hour ago, Wiggytop said:

I wonder if the supporters of the other clubs around us, and up to 11th are as paranoid as we seem to be?

I don’t think this season will need 40 points.

No it won't need 40 points. But if I were a supporter of the clubs around us I think I would take some comfort in the fact Everton struggle to score even though they create the chances. 

Hoping to get to 37-38.  I think we’re likely safe at 38, down at 36, with 37 the goal-difference point.  So today’s result was disastrous.

This Sunday’s match with Forest is a 6-pointer.   They are among probably 8 teams in the relegation fight.  They have 25 points from 24 matches, while we’ve only 21 from 25.  They are one of the few away matches we might take 3 points from.

There simply aren’t many teams we can get 3 points from, and a bunch of draws against teams like Forest will not get us to 37-38.

Hope none of Bournemouth (@ Arsenal), WHam (@ Brighton), Leeds (@ Chelsea), or Wolves (H to Spurs) take a single point this weekend.  Guess a draw between Soton and Leicester would do.

Most important, we must win Sunday.

2 hours ago, RPG said:

Totally agree.

We must take at least 4 points from our next 2 games away at Forest and home to Brentford. After that it is away to Chelsea, home to Spurs and away to Man U. If we only get 2-3 points out of those 5 games I think we will be down.

I’m probably a bit more pessimistic, as I think we desperately need 6 points from our next 2 matches.  That would give us 27 points from 27 matches.  But only 4 from next 2 gives us 25 from 27 and, as you say, 3 tough matches coming up after that.

Not many will have expected anything from away to Arsenal, so we’re where we thought we would be, other than being battered and humiliated ( by a really good team so maybe not too bad) 

The lack of a goal scorer and someone to hold the ball up is our main problem, goals of course are obvious, but if we can’t keep hold of the ball playing out of defence, the midfield and defence are always going to spend the majority of the game under pressure, and will inevitably crack, which is affecting their confidence.

Not bringing in a striker who can hold up the ball will be the reason we drop off it does happen.

The only way I can see us beating relegation is if DCL starts being a football player again. 

It's really is surreal. The aim of the game of football is to score more goals than the opposition. Yet Everton, a team in what is widely considered the best league in the world, have at present almost no one capable of doing that in our entire squad. And the one person most capable has been injured for pretty much 2 full seasons now. It's like, really?!

All my hopes are pinned on DCL coming back, as otherwise we do not stand a chance.

For me it's the realisation that we just don't have any goals in us. That's blatantly obvious not only from the Arsenal game, but over the course of several since Dyche took over. The only goal we have scored in the last nearly 400 minutes of football is a one-in-a-million Seamus Coleman fluke shot.

My hope was that with Dyche coming in we'd be able to somehow scrounge some goals here and there. That hope is now a dwindling flicker as it's clear as day that without DCL playing we are gonna really struggle to find any goals whatsoever.

I just hope that behind the scenes Dyche and his team can find a solution as soon as possible to get him back out on the pitch quickly and permanently.

I said to my mate last night watching. 
The manager isn’t a soft touch like we’ve had before. He isn’t stupid, he knew we were highly unlikely to get anything from this. 

Imagine the conversations. Board: we’re not scoring goals, get Dom on the pitch it’s paramount. Previous managers: you’re in charge. 

Board: get Dom on the pitch it’s paramount we start scoring goals. Dyche: NO HE isn't FIT ENOUGH! 

Why risk our biggest goal threat against teams that we are always likely to lose against? Why not get him 100% for the last ten games or so and see if he can bang some in.

48 minutes ago, Shukes said:

I said to my mate last night watching. 
The manager isn’t a soft touch like we’ve had before. He isn’t stupid, he knew we were highly unlikely to get anything from this. 

Imagine the conversations. Board: we’re not scoring goals, get Dom on the pitch it’s paramount. Previous managers: you’re in charge. 

Board: get Dom on the pitch it’s paramount we start scoring goals. Dyche: NO HE isn't FIT ENOUGH! 

Why risk our biggest goal threat against teams that we are always likely to lose against? Why not get him 100% for the last ten games or so and see if he can bang some in.

For me it's not the fact that we lost we all pretty much expected to lose, what I find so upsetting is in the manor of how we lost, absolutely gutless for most of the game. I don't believe you can't turn up for games you don't think you have a chance of winning, and then expect to turn up for those games you believe you have a chance of winning that would be pure folly. 

From what I heard (I missed most of the first half), we were actually doing pretty well up until the goals starting going in. I think from then on, especially conceding two just before half time, we just lost all belief.

There have been substantial passages of play where I think we have played pretty decently, and I don't really have a problem with that. I think Dyche has had a good impact in that regard. But at the end of the day, that all counts for nothing if you can't do the single most important thing necessary to win a game of football and score a goal.  

The philosophy of "stop them scoring and hope you nick a goal at the other end" is not a sustainable tactic. We will go down if we don't start scoring goals. Other teams will score against us, that's a given. Even in the completely unreal situation that the remaining games all finish 0-0, giving us 13 points, it still won't be enough. We have to win at least some of the games.  And to do that we have to score at least one goal in a game (several games actually) - otherwise it is simply impossible.

Our away form is crap and we have just 6 home games coming up. Considering DCL is not playing, I think the least he can do is stump up a week's worth of wages so we can buy a shed load of fireworks and a 50,000 watt PA system to be permanently stationed outside the Hilton Hotel - I honestly think that might actually be our only chance 😂

The most important thing is that we have Leeds, wolves, palace, West Ham, losing etc. it doesn’t necessarily change the complexity of things as we have to play Bournemouth.

arsenal pull a goal back, if arsenal win this Bournemouth will take a terrible mental battering