IGNORED

Jordan Pickford

not getting send off for the VVD incident could be a massive decision for Pickford. If he got send off (and he was probably an offside decision away from walking today!!) , Olsen gets pretty much gets at least two full game to stake his claim to be our starting keeper. Given Pickford's mistakes so far this year plus the sending off, if Olsen made a decent fist of the two game Pickford almost gifted him, then Pickford becomes our No.2, and who knows when he gets a chance to be no.1 again. England knock on effects. Not getting a red card today is massive for Pickford!!!

Instead of getting sent off, he makes a couple of decent saves - particularly the save that kept it at 1:2 which kept us in the game. After that save I was really hoping that we equalised (not that I wasn't hoping for it anyway), but more so purely to give that second half save more importance and value. 

I have been big Pickford critic, but I still want to see him do well, so please he will have came off the pitch today feeling like he has earn him coin. 

Let's hope the VVD let off is a turning point in his Everton career and we all end up talking more about great saves rather than mistakes!!. 

29 minutes ago, Hafnia said:

I do hope our fans are classy about VVD .... I know they sang songs about Coleman and his leg break but we are better than them. 

I’m sure no one actually wants harm to come to anyone, and I wouldn’t be singing songs about it, but I’ll take anything against them. 
Not being classy this time. 

22 hours ago, Aidan said:

Absolutely. Seen JP has been getting death threats on twitter... Says it all. 

He’s going to have to be very ‘blinkered’ and have the right people around him as he’s going to get absolute dogs abuse for a long, long time by those vile (and I’m not saying all Liverpool fans are vile) fans. Richarlison has already had to take his apology tweet down for all the racist abuse he’s received. When it comes to things like this, it’s one rule for them and another for everyone else - they won’t let this go. Hopefully Pickford keeps his head down and cracks on - the lockdown may actually work in his favour. I dread to think of the abuse he’ll get at the return fixture should fans be back by then.

The club need to do a collective arms round his shoulders job here.

I've had my say on his goalkeeping but I'm not having him thrown to the wolves to appease that baying bunch of fuckwits.  Jimmy case ended an Everton players career years ago and was unapologetic about it the little angry dwarf. 

Fair play to Carragher.... The red shite have turned on him cos he never passed the death sentence on Pickford like Alan "kick Lennon in the face" shearer, or Graham "stamp on a players but sack" souness and try and do Dwight Yorke whilst being his manager. 

4 minutes ago, Hafnia said:

I've had my say on his goalkeeping but I'm not having him thrown to the wolves to appease that baying bunch of fuckwits.  Jimmy case ended an Everton players career years ago and was unapologetic about it the little angry dwarf. 

Fair play to Carragher.... The red shite have turned on him cos he never passed the death sentence on Pickford like Alan "kick Lennon in the face" shearer, or Graham "stamp on a players but sack" souness and try and do Dwight Yorke whilst being his manager. 

Some pundit are comparing 

4 minutes ago, Hafnia said:

Some pundits are even comparing it to Roy Keane's Harrland tackle. WTF. Pure sensationalisum by some. 

Hate seeing any player get injured myself. Regardless of what their supporters do or are willing to say it’s wrong to take any joy from others players injury.

Had that been the other way around on James I think we would be furious.

Horrible tackle, can accept it’s part of football and wish VVD a full recovery.  

Standing firmly behind Jordan here though because no matter what I think of his keeping abilities, one of ours is not getting thrown the wolves.

1 hour ago, StevO said:

We’ve seen enough big injuries to our players over the years, McCarthy, Coleman, Gomes. The only time I’ve ever thought there was malice was Son, and I don’t think even he expected to hurt Gomes so much. 
We didn’t form a lynch mob and half of the press demand retrospective action. It was quite the opposite. 
I don’t for one minute think Jordan was trying to hurt him, accidents happen in contact sport. When Carragher is the voice of reason we are all in trouble. 
Seems you can do what you want to Everton, but you can’t hurt a Liverpool player. 

Its double standards, after Son injured Gomes, all the media were sympathising with Son and how all this impacted him. When Pickford inures Van Dijk commentators are ready to form lynch mobs. 

Yes it was a bad and reckless challenge, but there was no intent from Pickford, it was an unfortunate sporting incident. Pickford should have been sent off, but he was not, we lucked out, and lets face it were were due some luck after we have been on the wrong end of so many decisions. Its a damn tragedy that Van Dijk was injured and I hope he comes back stronger. 

I hope people remember it was an accident and treat Pickford the same way they treated Son. And we must be a family to him while this hate show runs its course.

Completely agree that reckless challenges should have a harsher penalty but Pickford's wasn't reckless. You'd think as a keeper he'd be supporting him. To say Lucas Neill's challenge was the worst he's ever seen just proves he's a kopite. It's fucking awful but I've seen worse.

https://www.skysports.com/watch/video/sports/football/12108163/should-bans-match-length-of-injury-lay-offs

Mark Bosnich thinks punishments should be harsher for footballers who inflict a serious injury on an opponent due to reckless play

3 hours ago, London Blue said:

Its double standards, after Son injured Gomes, all the media were sympathising with Son and how all this impacted him. When Pickford inures Van Dijk commentators are ready to form lynch mobs. 

Yes it was a bad and reckless challenge, but there was no intent from Pickford, it was an unfortunate sporting incident. Pickford should have been sent off, but he was not, we lucked out, and lets face it were were due some luck after we have been on the wrong end of so many decisions. Its a damn tragedy that Van Dijk was injured and I hope he comes back stronger. 

I hope people remember it was an accident and treat Pickford the same way they treated Son. And we must be a family to him while this hate show runs its course.

Son wasn't thrown to the wolves because we have class, even Gomes acknowledged that these tackles happen. Sure some fans had immediate reaction to our players comforting Son but that was heat of the moment stuff.

27 minutes ago, Gwlad all over said:

Son wasn't thrown to the wolves because we have class, even Gomes acknowledged that these tackles happen. Sure some fans had immediate reaction to our players comforting Son but that was heat of the moment stuff.

Thats my point, both players didn't set out to hurt the other player. Its double standards because Pickford is being vilified by the media, where Son was supported.

Gonna be honest as an American I didn’t see as much of the bias. But after this incident it’s clear it’s us against the world.  Thankfully we have a great squad manager and owner so I think we are well positioned.  But this has really opened my eyes.  I hope the lads enjoy their backs against the wall and use it to motivate them.  COYB