IGNORED

Liverpool Derby (Our old stadium) Sunday December 10th

markjazzbassist

15 minutes ago, pete0 said:

Surely this applies equally to Gana and Schneiderlin as well. 

Not at all. I saw them both give a shit.

9 minutes ago, Palfy said:

You could see in his face he's playing out of position against one of the better players in this league, at least give him some respect I don't think we had anyone else who could have done much better out there.

It was worse when Salah went off. He just didn' want to be there. Kenvy on the other side was everywhere, always gettin stuck in, dropping back, covering across. Cuco was a disgrace to defending at times, he doesn' want to defend. He doesn't take any pride in it, he is a wimp

2 minutes ago, Bailey said:

Not at all. I saw them both give a shit.

It was worse when Salah went off. He just didn' want to be there. Kenvy on the other side was everywhere, always gettin stuck in, dropping back, covering across. Cuco was a disgrace to defending at times, he doesn' want to defend. He doesn't take any pride in it, he is a wimp

When Salah shipped over to Kenny's side and the cross came into the far post he had Kenny all hands up, just face it Salah is quality and any player who is right footed playing out of position as a left full back is going to struggle against his quality

4 minutes ago, hafnia said:

Point... morally it felt like a trouncing

What were we expecting?

Going to a club bang in form, scoring goals for fun, when we are slowly recovering from the worst start to s season I can remember, despite spending tens of millions. 

We lack an experienced center forward, our only fit left back might as well put the oppositions shirt on for most matches, and we lack a settled team and shape.

We were never going to go there and compete, not this season, we did what we could, dig in and look for any chance to hit them on the break.

Don't get me wrong, I would have started Lookman instead of Nessie and played the same formation we had against West Ham and Huddersfield.

But we got a point at Anfield when we should have been thrashed, be thankful.

25 minutes ago, Palfy said:

When Salah shipped over to Kenny's side and the cross came into the far post he had Kenny all hands up, just face it Salah is quality and any player who is right footed playing out of position as a left full back is going to struggle against his quality

One time... and even that was because Cuco gave Mane the freedom of Anfield to put the ball across.

Kenny didnt give Mane a sniff all game yet Mane gave Cuco the run around when they switched.

42 minutes ago, Shukes said:

Luck is when you shoot and it’s going a mile wide, and it hits a player and goes in. If you hit your shot wide, that’s not unlucky, that’s just a plain miss.

I know what your saying, but professional players aren’t taught like us. They are taught that if you shoot on target and it goes in... that’s not luck. If you shoot and miss the target, that’s not unlucky.

Mane slip, I'd say that's unlucky for him; lucky for us. But I get your point. 

3 minutes ago, Bailey said:

One time... and even that was because Cuco gave Mane the freedom of Anfield to put the ball across.

Kenny didnt give Mane a sniff all game yet Mane gave Cuco the run around when they switched.

Overall Cuco done well so things considered, his ability and being out of position. The goal is more Gana's fault than Martina's. Gana has been more consistent in giving goals away too. Cuco is third choice RB, playing out of position. Gana is starting every week, and showing every week that he shouldn't be. 

Does it really matter how the cross was made my point being Salah left the defender for dead not because the defender is shit but because of the quality of the attacker, unfortunately sometimes it happens you get a player who is well above the standard of the players marking him, and on this occasion it was Salah against our defence.

Our 'just boot it up the field' and stay deep tactics were horrible, and we were shit at even that, and played right into liverpools hands. We got murdered everywhere by a team that are not only in form but much more intense than us. You can moan at rooney for mucking in at right back,  but he bloody needed to with liverpool rampaging on us. At least we have some defensive grit now and once again got a deserved penalty albeit totally against the run of play. Still, we should take it and how gutted will the red shite be after that totally undeserved point for us after a terrible performance. A very lucky and sweet point after a minging match by us.

As I said at half time, I don't disagree with the way Allardyce set us up, it was more the application of how that should have worked which was a problem. We were too easy to play against and at the same time we offered nothing going forward. It was like a training game.

Having said that, bar Cuco, you could see everyone was trying to put the managers instructions into play. Positionally they were good, Kenny, Holgate and Williams were largely brilliant (bar one error from Kenny and Williams). Gana was as disciplined as I have seen him, as was Davies / Schneiderlin. Rooney was a mistake on the right, but Siggy on the otherside was doing his job. We just couldn't get the ball to stick upfront. It wasnt for lack of trying, Niasse and DCL were putting their bodies about and the latter will be feeling it in the morning.

The changes at the half didn't really make much difference. I thought the whole point of playing Rooney in midfield was for him to control the game, which would then allow Davies freedom to roam which in turn and get the ball on the half turn, but instead Rooney played more in the number 10 role. Ultimately that it what got us the point but at the same time it didn't stop the pattern of play.

As far as overall performances go:

Pickford was faultless throughout bar his God awful kicking.

Kenny was giving everything. I lost count of the number of times he won tackles, got blocks in and won headers. He is going to be great for us for years to come.

Williams & Holgate were excellent again. They were under pressure for 90 minutes and they (Williams) made one mistake (when he dived in and missed). I was watching them closely and they were really organised. Holgate looks to have bulked up as well.

Cuco was useless from the first minute. In balance he did make some good tackles against Salah, but even when he did make a tackle, he was weak and his technique was dreadful. He was bullied by a winger which is something that should never happen to a lad his size. Kenny wouldnt have given Salah an inch in the battle that led to the goal but Cuco was all over the place and so easy to knock off the ball. It happened half a dozen times and the bloke just doesnt have the mentality for this league. I saw Schneiderlin running over to tell him to put his foot in, which says it all.

Davies was too passive. He was never really able to get into the game.

Gana was better IMO. I thought he was disciplined and whilst he could have done more for the goal, Cuco should have dealt with it so he was on the back foot.

Schneiderlin was overly involved either but he sat deep and swept up well enough. Again he stuck to his job and did what he could so I cant knock that.

Rooney was poor first half and he wasnt much better second but he did provide 2 passes of real quality, especially the one that led to the penalty. It was pinpoint. It was a cool and calm penalty too.

Out wide, Sigurdsson worked hard and battled all game. He didnt really have the opportunity to do any more than that.

Lennon did a usual Lennon job. Worked hard, provide an outlet and got stuck in.

Niasse couldnt really get involved. He didnt do badly but he had no impact on the game and when he had the ball he isolated himself further.

DCL tried his nuts off again, battle after battle and his hard running and persistence won the penalty. I cant knock the lad for that.

20 minutes ago, pete0 said:

Overall Cuco done well so things considered, his ability and being out of position. The goal is more Gana's fault than Martina's. Gana has been more consistent in giving goals away too. Cuco is third choice RB, playing out of position. Gana is starting every week, and showing every week that he shouldn't be. 

I completely disagree. A premiership level footballer should be able to defend from his left and from his right. If he cant then he shouldnt be playing.

The goal is 100% down to Cuco, he should win the ball and clear it but instead he gets out muscled by Salah. Gana shouldnt have even needed to be involved.

15 minutes ago, Palfy said:

Does it really matter how the cross was made my point being Salah left the defender for dead not because the defender is shit but because of the quality of the attacker, unfortunately sometimes it happens you get a player who is well above the standard of the players marking him, and on this occasion it was Salah against our defence.

Of course it does. The ball shouldnt be coming in. It doesnt mean Kenny should leave his man but it was 1 mistake yet Cuco made well into double figures and you are trying to compare the two levels of performance.

1 hour ago, Palfy said:

Christ we are in the shit if Gana is our best midfielder Rooney did more in 40 minutes in midfield in the 2nd half than I've seen Gana do all season, can't believe you think Rooney never done fuck all he won us a point.

I didn’t mention Rooney. Rooney had a good match, considering the role he was given and Sam’s shit tactics on the day. 

2 minutes ago, Bailey said:

I completely disagree. A premiership level footballer should be able to defend from his left and from his right. If he cant then he shouldnt be playing.

The goal is 100% down to Cuco, he should win the ball and clear it but instead he gets out muscled by Salah. Gana shouldnt have even needed to be involved.

Of course it does. The ball shouldnt be coming in. It doesnt mean Kenny should leave his man but it was 1 mistake yet Cuco made well into double figures and you are trying to compare the two levels of performance.

Bailey forget this mate I was using that as an example of how hard it is to defend a striker who is at the top of his game and that even Kenny who was probably how best defender struggled to contain him, yet you think that Martina who doesn't play left back and is right footed should have put him in his pocket, then you act like I've had ago at Kenny and come out with another delusional comment that Kenny made only one mistake all game that's total rubbish no one on that pitch made only one mistake, get a grip man your letting your contempt for Martina cloud your judgment, when really it should be fair play to the man for giving it his best and not throwing the towel in when been placed in a awkward position.

7 minutes ago, JoeQuince said:

I didn’t mention Rooney. Rooney had a good match, considering the role he was given and Sam’s shit tactics on the day. 

No you didn't what you said was Gana never put a foot wrong he was our only midfielder who did anything or something along them lines.

1 hour ago, Bailey said:

Exactly, he's not a premier league level player. Considering his ability he done well. Positionally playing on the opposite against someone in form would be a nightmare for anyone. Remember Coleman's debut in Portugal. We'd have been better with someone more experienced there or a winger as they're used to being in the other side more. 

He gets out muscled but even if he never goes job is to close the angle try and show him outside. Salary cut in which happens all the time and usually a team mate would be there and the ball would be pinched and cleared without acknowledgement as its school boy stuff. Worst thing is Gana does this every week. He's got no feel for where he's supposed to be on the pitch. 

Conversely Cuco wouldn't have been under pressure in the first place if Gana never done that stupid takle from behind. Cost is a goal and put himself on a yellow. He's a liability. 

54 minutes ago, hafnia said:

It was like watching a league 2 team play man city.... fuckin dross.

Yeah point in the bag... shit. Absolutely shit.

Three weeks ago we'd have been hammered 5 nil. We rode our luck yeah, but this is the same squad we watched capitulate against Atalanta and Southampton. We can't compete against the top 6 on quality, we know that, so why expect anything else? It's going to be a long way back from here. At least there's fight there now, something resembling organisation. I still think with two or three clever signings we can finish 7th which will be a miracle considering the start we had. As for the red shite - we robbed them today when a month ago we'd have got absolutely rolled. Let's enjoy that at least.